Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2001, 18:21 (Ref:84081)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

The number of viewers that watched F1 programs, including newscasts in 2000 according to F1 Management. Yes, that is billion.

Formula 1 racers who are now relegated to testing roles. Marc Gene, Johnny Herbert, Pedro de la Rosa (whose position has changed after the sacking of Mazzacane and trading of Burti), Alexander Wurz, Mika Salo, and Ricardo Zonta.

The time in seconds Michael Schumacher was under last year's Australian GP pole time. Only the last three cars on the grid did not outrun the 2000 pole position.

Some interesting numbers when viewed subjectively. Over 53 billion people apparently watched some form of F1 programming or news programs devoted to F1. An unbelieveable sum. When was the last time that 6 drivers lost their jobs in one season of F1? After all the posturing by Max and the FIA about grooving tires, moving wings, reducing the testing times and reducing the number of tires available and 90% of the field goes faster than Mika Hakkinen's pole position 2000 McLaren. If this does not illustrate the level of competence of the masters of F1 in technical matters, nothing else will.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 18:41 (Ref:84086)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How are these TV viewing figures worked out. 53 billion viewers is 9 times the population of the planet!!
Old 23 Apr 2001, 23:57 (Ref:84218)   #3
riusnow
Racer

riusnow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KC

The number of viewers that watched F1 programs, including newscasts in 2000 according to F1 Management. Yes, that is billion.
KC: is that in one year?
I've heard that F1 passed Soccer for the most watched sport worldwide a few years ago.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 02:26 (Ref:84262)   #4
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 goes head to head with the Soccer World Cup and the Summer Olypics in best view ratings IIRC.

"If this does not illustrate the level of competence of the masters of F1 in technical matters, nothing else will."
I don't think it does, KC. It merely shows the level of incompetence the FIA has displayed in their rule alterations. At the end of 1997 the FIA wanted to decrease downforce levels with 50% and noted an option of grooved tires. The teams went totally bezerk about that proposal because aero is the holy grail in their opinion. They entered an proposal of their own: some minor downforce rulings, grooved tires and smaller track. After a lot of pressuring the FIA let go of their original proposal and went for the small track-grooved tires escape of the teams. At the end of 2000 the FIA wanted to reduce downforce and they really wanted it this time. Eventually they came to an agreement with the teams: diffuser sides only up to the rear axle and not beyond, higher front wing and less elements in the rear wing. The teams estimated their loss at the 20% and somehow the FIA calculated the same. It's quite obvious though that downforce hasn't got down and is pretty much at last year's level for the topteams now and for the rest by the end of the year. The team's competences lie more in the sandbagging and fooling of the FIA than in actual technical progress.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 02:26 (Ref:84263)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
How are these TV viewing figures worked out. 53 billion viewers is 9 times the population of the planet!!

sorry Damon ..I voted twice
Old 24 Apr 2001, 02:30 (Ref:84266)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
........and I usually have two TV's going
Old 24 Apr 2001, 13:40 (Ref:84433)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree completely with what you say Dino IV. Obviously the techs that work for the FIA are not good enough to work to the teams because they would employed there.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out how to lower the cornering speeds of the cars. But, the FIA continues to chase red herrings.

The numbers I listed are provided by F1 Management Holdings. They represent every time that someone turns on a TV to watch anything vaguely concerning F1. That includes news programs on F1, practice sessions, qualifying, the pre-race program, the race, post race program, follow up programs, and re-running of the race itself for those who missed it. Like any and all statistical data it can be tailored to fit.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 14:15 (Ref:84452)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
I agree completely with what you say Dino IV. Obviously the techs that work for the FIA are not good enough to work to the teams because they would employed there.

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out how to lower the cornering speeds of the cars. But, the FIA continues to chase red herrings.
Not being a tech-buff, I've had difficulty believing this myself - I mean how hard could it be? Clip the wings and bring back slicks. I'm sure the geniuses in the teams will be able to make it work
Old 24 Apr 2001, 19:58 (Ref:84509)   #9
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
The team's competences lie more in the sandbagging and fooling of the FIA than in actual technical progress.
... and politicking. When there is so much at stake the teams that succeed are the ones with the most well-rounded skills in:

engineering & technical,
sandbagging,
political maneuvering,
interpreting the rules,
sponser aquisition,
etc.,etc.,

You need the total package to be REALLY successful.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 22:00 (Ref:84550)   #10
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the figures for viewing are counted in a similar way to how the Soaps used to be - ie, if you watch 2 showings in 1 week then you are 2 viewers. This was how the soaps always had 2 or 3 times more viewers than anything else.

If you were to watch qualifying and the race then you are 2 viewers.

If you have access to further coverage you can get

Friday practice x2
Saturday practice x2
Qualifying
Warm Up
Race
Highlights
Re-Run
Highlights repeat

Thats 10 shows already, not including any news items.
Old 25 Apr 2001, 13:14 (Ref:84723)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
That's exactly how they measure it for advertising campaigns.
Never forget #99