Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2601882)   #51
kartracer41
Racer

United States
Michigan, USA
kartracer41 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
USF1 announced a new design partner.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/formula-1-...ner-for-us-f1/
Old 18 Dec 2009, 17:23 (Ref:2601990)   #52
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
It sounds like they screwd up the first design and hired some pros and now they are in under pressure to finalize the building of the car in record time
Old 18 Dec 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2601999)   #53
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
It sounds like they screwd up the first design and hired some pros and now they are in under pressure to finalize the building of the car in record time
Be fair now, at least they've got passed the drawing stage.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2602007)   #54
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They won't be designing the car. They're sorting out the composites
Old 18 Dec 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2602018)   #55
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm glad that someone is doing something.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2602117)   #56
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralta View Post
Please don’t take this as a personal attack as it is not. I respect that everyone has an opinion and there is clearly room for valid criticism of USF1’s progress, but you post nothing but negative comments. I know there is no need to have a logical reason to dislike a driver or a team (such as my own personal general dislike of Ferrari), but I am just personally really curious as to where all of this is coming from? Why do they rub you the wrong way so much?
Old 18 Dec 2009, 21:28 (Ref:2602122)   #57
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Please don’t take this as a personal attack as it is not. I respect that everyone has an opinion and there is clearly room for valid criticism of USF1’s progress, but you post nothing but negative comments. I know there is no need to have a logical reason to dislike a driver or a team (such as my own personal general dislike of Ferrari), but I am just personally really curious as to where all of this is coming from? Why do they rub you the wrong way so much?
I guess, more than anything, USF1 through one thing and another has become just something to laugh at in this off season. It seems like in F1 people generally like to laugh at other's misfortunes and USF1 have had their fair share of misfortunes before they've even built their own car!

I wouldn't go so far as to ridicule them, but I think that the whole situation so far has been a farce. I'd be very, very suprised if they even turned up at Bahrain. And if they did in the unlikely event turn up at the first race, I very much doubt they'd be on the pace.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2602152)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently Alex Wurz could still yet sign for US F1, according to the latest GMM rumour. As he said at the time, his reason for not taking up the offer was that he wanted to race at Le Mans. Well apparently now Windsor, who really wants him, has offered to let him do Le Mans and have a reserve driver for Canada. Wurz is still interested in driving for the team as he likes the way the work, or so he has told some Austrian magazine

Now I know of a certain driver who would be more than happy to do a one-off race in Canada, having done this with other series, and would bring sponsorship as well and would be very popular and has been known to be in talks with the team. Have a guess...

Or they could just put an American in, which would be convenient for the only North American race
Old 18 Dec 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2602172)   #59
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I guess, more than anything, USF1 through one thing and another has become just something to laugh at in this off season. It seems like in F1 people generally like to laugh at other's misfortunes and USF1 have had their fair share of misfortunes before they've even built their own car!

I wouldn't go so far as to ridicule them, but I think that the whole situation so far has been a farce. I'd be very, very suprised if they even turned up at Bahrain. And if they did in the unlikely event turn up at the first race, I very much doubt they'd be on the pace.
I totally understand your point of view which seems to be in line with many people on this forum. Even being a USF1 supporter, I have no illusions regarding how they will most likely perform in 2010.

However, I had actually directed this question to Peralta since it is his comments (which seem a bit more negative than most) that I am curious about. However after posting the question above, I think I should have just contacted him via PM vs. public post. Again, not upset at him or anyone else. I am just curious as to how USF1 seems to have peed in his Wheaties.

To try to get back on topic, I hope that we will see some driver news from them in the near future. Also, didn’t they say they were scheduled to be doing FIA crash tests end of this month, early next? I assume that is the next news we may hear.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 00:55 (Ref:2602188)   #60
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Ted bennett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACG are a composite supply outfit, a one stop shop if you like. So they would be best described as a technical partner. It will be funny if the all American USF1 team ends up fielding a car built in Derbyshire though.

They have a facility in Tulsa but it was only a supply hub and repackaging centre when I last the knew the details of the operation, set up to facilitate sales in the US market as it was next to impossible to sell composite materials to US defence contractors as US law compelled the contractors to buy American. My information is rather old though I must admit.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 00:56 (Ref:2602189)   #61
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Well, he is Mexican. No love lost there.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 01:30 (Ref:2602192)   #62
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose they invite ridicule due to their apparent inability to get themselves organized in time despite the intimate knowledge of the workings of F1 of the people behind this project.
Peter Windsor is not a fresh faced youngster and would in the past been very critical as a journalist of a team that was still sorting out composite suppliers this close to the get go.
Not having drivers is also an indication that they are not really expecting to be ready in time.
I'm sure everyone on this forum loves an underdog and realises that starting an F1 team from scratch with no carry over technology or equipment from another F1 team (or even another team in a junior formula) is a massive task that would be beyond all of us.
However, if you say you are going to do all this and do it out of Charlotte , North Carolina then you have to come up with the goods or you look like a naive fool. This team seems determined to do things the hard way. I would have headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma if I was building a sprintcar for the Knoxville Nationals but I never would have headed in that direction for an F1 composite supplier. Good luck to them if it comes off !
Old 19 Dec 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2602194)   #63
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
When I first heard the news back in February about USF1 I was really excited for them especially that it was going to be an all American team and now it really looks like it's not going to happen so yeah you can say I am fustrated after all didn't they say it was going to be fan friendly and we yet to have a website? Didn't PW say that they were going to invite fans to the shop and see the cars being built? Didn't they say it was going to be an all American team with American drivers? Didn't they say it was going to be run out of NCarolina and show the Europeans it can be done? etc etc etc
Empty promises but I really really hope they make it and surprise everyone including me.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 03:10 (Ref:2602211)   #64
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This latest (and late in the day) signing of a 'composite's firm' lends credulance to the rumour that the USF1 tub mold had to be scrapped. Remember one of the pictures we saw several weeks ago was an enclave in their factory so why go now to an outside firm?
According to their earlier announcements they were going to have a rolling chassis ready by Nov.
I feel the main reason for so much negativity is that they have not delivered on much, if any, of their hype.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 03:20 (Ref:2602215)   #65
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This team does not exist in reality does it..
Old 19 Dec 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2602250)   #66
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This team does not exist in reality does it..
The 'team' does as in people and stuff you can point at to laugh...

As for the technical capability & capacity to construct an F1 car...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Dec 2009, 07:47 (Ref:2602252)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett View Post
ACG are a composite supply outfit, a one stop shop if you like. So they would be best described as a technical partner. It will be funny if the all American USF1 team ends up fielding a car built in Derbyshire though.

They have a facility in Tulsa but it was only a supply hub and repackaging centre when I last the knew the details of the operation, set up to facilitate sales in the US market as it was next to impossible to sell composite materials to US defence contractors as US law compelled the contractors to buy American. My information is rather old though I must admit.
Google (as ever) is your friend

ACG Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Website
Manufacturing

Manufacturing of materials is conducted within the Tulsa facility and includes full range of equipment for the production and testing of hot melt prepregs and their associated products.

Research

While ACG Inc. has its own fully equipped laboratory facility for quality control and R&D programmes, the Group's central R&D laboratory in the UK serves as the focal point for all product development. Under the control of UCSM, ACG Inc, ACG Ltd and the Technology Centre operate harmoniously to offer a co-ordinated service to clients across the globe.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 10:40 (Ref:2602290)   #68
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
'All American' ?
Old 19 Dec 2009, 11:17 (Ref:2602305)   #69
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
'All American' ?
With Peter Windsor (a pom by birth) as a core team member, this isnt possible regardless of the technical alliances
Old 19 Dec 2009, 18:14 (Ref:2602443)   #70
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighton Irwin View Post
This latest (and late in the day) signing of a 'composite's firm' lends credulance to the rumour that the USF1 tub mold had to be scrapped. Remember one of the pictures we saw several weeks ago was an enclave in their factory so why go now to an outside firm?
According to their earlier announcements they were going to have a rolling chassis ready by Nov.
I feel the main reason for so much negativity is that they have not delivered on much, if any, of their hype.
There is a difference between an enclave and an autoclave.Beside the terminology,there is also the need to find people with the knowledge to use the equipment.Given the few weeks to the other teams launch something needs to be happening very soon.There are FIA tests to be passed and not all teams manage to do so at the first attempt.If major structures need to be re-made time could run out.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2602492)   #71
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Google (as ever) is your friend

ACG Website
Well yes I suppose, but I already knew all that.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2602498)   #72
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarez Jed View Post
I would have headed to Tulsa, Oklahoma if I was building a sprintcar for the Knoxville Nationals but I never would have headed in that direction for an F1 composite supplier. Good luck to them if it comes off !
ACG supply just about every team on the grid from the UK base, they have been in the business since the 70s. Before it became common place that the teams had inhouse composite shops of their own, ACG would build cars for those teams including names such as Brabham, Arrows and Ligier. They also did a lot of business with the many short lived teams that sprung up in the late 80s but suffered from too many unpaid bills so they shifted focus towards the aerospace and defence sectors but they have continued to take in racing work from established oufits who can pay the bills.
If I was looking for a technical partner from the composites industry my first choice would be ACG.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 21:26 (Ref:2602501)   #73
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted bennett View Post
ACG supply just about every team on the grid from the UK base, they have been in the business since the 70s. Before it became common place that the teams had inhouse composite shops of their own, ACG would build cars for those teams including names such as Brabham, Arrows and Ligier. They also did a lot of business with the many short lived teams that sprung up in the late 80s but suffered from too many unpaid bills so they shifted focus towards the aerospace and defence sectors but they have continued to take in racing work from established oufits who can pay the bills.
If I was looking for a technical partner from the composites industry my first choice would be ACG.
That sounds like the sort of statement Peter Windsor would read out in one of those cheap American adverts for ACG, just before it would cut to Billy Mays shouting at you very loudly
Old 19 Dec 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2602509)   #74
Ted bennett
Racer

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
That sounds like the sort of statement Peter Windsor would read out in one of those cheap American adverts for ACG, just before it would cut to Billy Mays shouting at you very loudly
Are you saying I might have a future as an advertising agency copy writer then ?
Old 20 Dec 2009, 17:49 (Ref:2602801)   #75
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And López, despite being the favourite, didn't win the title in Turismo Carretera. When he has all under control running 3rd, an oil leak caused by one of his teammates caused havoc at the front, the leaders spun and López, who was behind, can't avoid the leak and finished off track.
At least López obtained two of three of the major Touring Car championships in Argentina, but not the most popular one.

BTW: Rumour has it he will train with a Sudam F3 car in the Termas de R*o Hondo autodrome soon, despite struggling with negotiations to test with a World Series car.
Closed Thread