Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Dec 2020, 16:41 (Ref:4020201)   #2251
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Buyer beware
Had some quotes for boarder clearance.
Comical. It’s just a normal forwarding /clearance agents daily job and people should not be robbed
I think we used to pay about £6, which was quite a lot in 1975.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 08:23 (Ref:4021891)   #2252
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Until Covid is over then carnets and passports seem a bit academic if this report is to be believed.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 10 Dec 2020, 11:07 (Ref:4021919)   #2253
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
when the no deal is confirmed and the pound crashes you won't be able to afford to go anyway, so yes, somewhat academic.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 11:24 (Ref:4021922)   #2254
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Until Covid is over then carnets and passports seem a bit academic if this report is to be believed.

Amazing that rag conflated covid 19 with its brexit bias and people swallow it. Yes UK citizens may be banned from non essential travel as are other countries but it isn't due to Brexit, it's the virus.

Heres a useful link which shows that for some states even if in the EU travellers are required to quarantine or provide negative tests. https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-travel-europe-country-by-country-travel-restrictions-explained-summer-2020/

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 10 Dec 2020 at 11:32.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 12:44 (Ref:4021945)   #2255
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
There you go again, Peter, confusing the situation with facts........
Old 10 Dec 2020, 13:27 (Ref:4021951)   #2256
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter is right in that the Covid / Brext travel ban story is crap in the way it is written.

In Germany - for instance - most of UK has been a risk area since early November.
That means quarantine for 10 days when travelling from UK to Germany
There is no connection with Brexit and this will not change after January 1st either to good or worse unless there is a dramatic postive change in the Covid situation in the UK.

RudE
Old 10 Dec 2020, 13:40 (Ref:4021955)   #2257
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Which is why I said "until Covid is over"

Old 10 Dec 2020, 14:53 (Ref:4021966)   #2258
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Just out of my curiosity does anyone knows how quarantine rules are being applied? In nice hotel with pocket money as for any migrant? Or on a manage yourself and get lost basis? Camping with goats around may be…
Old 10 Dec 2020, 15:25 (Ref:4021969)   #2259
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Just out of my curiosity does anyone knows how quarantine rules are being applied? In nice hotel with pocket money as for any migrant? Or on a manage yourself and get lost basis? Camping with goats around may be…
I know here in Melbourne there are certain hotels selected where returning Aussies (the only International arrivals allowed currently) can stay. You are taken to the hotel direct from the airport. All costs are at personal expense ie Accommodation, meals, refreshment, cable TV, laundry etc for 14 days. You cannot cook your own meals while in quarantine accommodation. No leaving your room (Unless a medical emergency) and no visitors (other than doctor for medical emergency).

I believe during the 14 days quarantine you are also tested twice for Covid after the initial test.... one at Day 3 one at Day 11. If you refuse the day 11 test it is an automatic additional 10 days quarantine at own expense.

is the same throughout Australia. Until recently we had 14 day quarantine rules in place if we wanted to travel interstate. (ie if I needed to travel to NSW from Victoria) Same conditions. All quarantine expenses met by person in quarantine. Interstate quarantine (for Victorians anyway) were relaxed on 1st December,

Last edited by E.B; 10 Dec 2020 at 15:34. Reason: Added bit about medical emergencies
Old 10 Dec 2020, 15:26 (Ref:4021970)   #2260
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The second as as far as I can tell.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 15:44 (Ref:4021975)   #2261
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just to put some more facts out there and dispell the freedom of movement myth. This is the requirement for a Schengen visa, as you can see up until 31 December 2020 UK citizens have only ever been able to stay for 90 days.

From 01 Jan we will need a travel document such as a return ticket on a plane or ferry/chunnel etc. and of course a passport with more than 6 months on it. Frankly unless there's something we are not being told, the process shouldn't be difficult. I've seen Turks, Albanians and Qataris etc. all applying for and receiving these visas.

There will be a requirement for medical insurance even though the UK has issued EHIC cards to EU residents who live in the UK. Another example of reciprocation.
Old 10 Dec 2020, 20:51 (Ref:4022042)   #2262
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Chris its far away from a five star hotel with room service and obligent concierge! I've rather the old style with grils knocking at your door saying "hey, coco, c'est l'amour qui passe!" Fichu virus!
Old 10 Dec 2020, 21:33 (Ref:4022056)   #2263
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I know here in Melbourne there are certain hotels selected where returning Aussies (the only International arrivals allowed currently) can stay. You are taken to the hotel direct from the airport. All costs are at personal expense ie Accommodation, meals, refreshment, cable TV, laundry etc for 14 days. You cannot cook your own meals while in quarantine accommodation. No leaving your room (Unless a medical emergency) and no visitors (other than doctor for medical emergency).

I believe during the 14 days quarantine you are also tested twice for Covid after the initial test.... one at Day 3 one at Day 11. If you refuse the day 11 test it is an automatic additional 10 days quarantine at own expense.

is the same throughout Australia. Until recently we had 14 day quarantine rules in place if we wanted to travel interstate. (ie if I needed to travel to NSW from Victoria) Same conditions. All quarantine expenses met by person in quarantine. Interstate quarantine (for Victorians anyway) were relaxed on 1st December,
Taking Australia back to its roots!!
Old 11 Dec 2020, 01:47 (Ref:4022090)   #2264
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Australia has kept enough of it’s roots, it’s just hidden away somewhere
Old 11 Dec 2020, 04:32 (Ref:4022105)   #2265
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Taking Australia back to its roots!!
Standard Aussie diet.... eats, roots shoots and leaves.
Old 11 Dec 2020, 06:12 (Ref:4022115)   #2266
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Standard Aussie diet....
Old 11 Dec 2020, 11:36 (Ref:4022158)   #2267
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the ongoing feedback from my traders regarding shipping news in general and the situation in the UK ports in particular throws up this from the BBC:

"Retailers, shipping and haulage companies have complained of "chaos" at Felixstowe Port in Suffolk, affecting goods in the run-up to Christmas.

One ship due to be unloaded at the port last week was redirected to Rotterdam because of "unacceptable" delays."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54908129

The situation in the port of Hamburg currently is normal, same in the other EU ports that my company uses
So whatever is the problem, Covid it aint
Pre Brexit stockpiling might be part of the reason, buuuuut,
and remember the toilet paper saga, consumer stockpiling has been and is again a phenomenon everywhere in Europe.

We have seen highly increaed turnover in certain areas and as a consequence increased shipping and port turnover in Europe.

I am not suprised that this is happening, what surprises me is that happens earlier than expected.

Honda plant temporary closure and all...

RudE
Old 11 Dec 2020, 11:52 (Ref:4022162)   #2268
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It is also happening in US and Canadian ports. Bear in mind the UK ports are far busier per m2 than mainland Europe because we are a larger market for EU goods. This is a covid related issue because of the uncertainty of lock downs etc. Hence businesses stockpiling. You might want to fact check your sources.
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:10 (Ref:4022165)   #2269
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It is also happening in US and Canadian ports. Bear in mind the UK ports are far busier per m2 than mainland Europe because we are a larger market for EU goods. This is a covid related issue because of the uncertainty of lock downs etc. Hence businesses stockpiling. You might want to fact check your sources.
Indeed. I tried to buy a new laptop a month ago but was advised to wait because the virus had caused some very erratic shipping from the Far East with shipping companies short-staffed etc. The timing is just a coincidence.
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:13 (Ref:4022166)   #2270
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55260468

Story about a wine merchant who has a lot of stock in Europe and wishes to bring it to the UK by the end of the year to avoid the risk of prices increasing after Jan 1st.

Apparently there is not enough transport around as everyone it doing the same thing.

So, is it all down to Christmas Spirit?

It's important to make sure one has essentials for Christmas, right?
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:18 (Ref:4022167)   #2271
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I don't deny there are certain cases that are related to 31 December. However, the majority are due to the pandemic sadly.
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:37 (Ref:4022171)   #2272
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55260468

Story about a wine merchant who has a lot of stock in Europe and wishes to bring it to the UK by the end of the year to avoid the risk of prices increasing after Jan 1st.

Apparently there is not enough transport around as everyone it doing the same thing.

So, is it all down to Christmas Spirit?

It's important to make sure one has essentials for Christmas, right?
There is plenty of very good English wine! Now is the moment to try it...
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:37 (Ref:4022172)   #2273
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
an excerpt from world port rankings in container turnover:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...tainerumschlag

11th - Rotterdam (highest placed European port)
13th - Antwerpen
19th - Hamburg
27th - Bremerhaven
and the highest placed UK port on the list is:
42th - Felixstowe

I understand that You did not refer to the actual ranking but to turnover per square metre. That would make Felixstowe an exeptionally small port given the low turnover....

I Hamburg, we are currently using land that had been slated to be cleared for port development BEFORE WW1.
And we are currently clearing land slated for port development use after 2050.

And yes, efficiency of container turnover depends on space.

RudE
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:39 (Ref:4022173)   #2274
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just to put some more facts out there and dispell the freedom of movement myth. This is the requirement for a Schengen visa, as you can see up until 31 December 2020 UK citizens have only ever been able to stay for 90 days.

Peter, I have always known that, however one of our local forums in Mojacar is full up with people saying "oh dear well I didn't vote for Brexit"
I personally don't get mixed up with keyboard warriors that know far more than me who has only been coming here since the mid 70s.
I do know that the Spanish have turned a blind eye to people overstaying for years as they know that they add to the economy, however we will see if they will actually start arresting overstayers from 2021.
I think that most people don't realise that the UK has never been in the Schengen agreement
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Dec 2020, 12:43 (Ref:4022174)   #2275
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I do know that the Spanish have turned a blind eye to people overstaying for years as they know that they add to the economy, however we will see if they will actually start arresting overstayers from 2021.
I think that most people don't realise that the UK has never been in the Schengen agreement
Indeed on both points and the same applies to Greece. Only Portugal has formalized its approach and as long as you have sufficient funds and own a property you can stay. You don't pay Portuguese tax on UK earnings unlike France and Italy etc.