Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:33 (Ref:3957215)   #476
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Which is?
Mike, I think what Grif is getting at is that a log burner is very useful for getting rid of unwanted logs. Makes sense to me, I must get one in case I ever get a load of old logs I don't want.
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3957216)   #477
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Which is?
Cosy!

Living where we do we've always had backup systems for when the power goes off although in fairness it doesn't happen as often or for as long as it used to. 2 open fires and a log burner keep us warm, bottled gas for the hob (no mains here) and a small generator (bought after the 87 hurricane) which will run the pump on the oil central heating, the freezer and an outside light to wind the neighbours up🤣
Old 12 Feb 2020, 13:57 (Ref:3957223)   #478
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I prefer Bob’s reason...........
Old 12 Feb 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3957296)   #479
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Cosy!

Living where we do we've always had backup systems for when the power goes off although in fairness it doesn't happen as often or for as long as it used to. 2 open fires and a log burner keep us warm, bottled gas for the hob (no mains here) and a small generator (bought after the 87 hurricane) which will run the pump on the oil central heating, the freezer and an outside light to wind the neighbours up🤣
Ditto, in 1987 we were off the mains electric for a couple of weeks, we had an old 1947 solid fuel Rayburn with a back boiler that ran a couple of rads and also supplied us with hot water via a split system. I used the generator out of the race truck plugged into the ring main (mains switched off) so we had lighting and the radiator pump in use. We also could cook with the Rayburn and even had TV. Others around us were completely buggered and would pop in for a warm up and a cuppa
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Feb 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3957307)   #480
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I prefer Bob’s reason...........

Ah, but there's no such thing as unwanted logs! My father-in-law, who was Polish, once told me he drove a tank in WW2 which could run off almost anything you could find in the forest, including wood. Be interesting to know whether that was true!
Old 12 Feb 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3957312)   #481
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
When I was a conscript I used to drive trucks and Jeeps. Not tanks, because I'm too tall they said. Our Berliet trucks had a huge handle right in the middle of the dash. Three positions: diesel, fuel and others…*'f course we weren't allowed to use it but we heard many stories about the meaning of "others", whisky, dog pee, Ricard and so on. Strange days!
Old 12 Feb 2020, 21:17 (Ref:3957316)   #482
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
When I was a conscript I used to drive trucks and Jeeps. Not tanks, because I'm too tall they said. Our Berliet trucks had a huge handle right in the middle of the dash. Three positions: diesel, fuel and others…*'f course we weren't allowed to use it but we heard many stories about the meaning of "others", whisky, dog pee, Ricard and so on. Strange days!
I don’t envy your experience of being a conscript, Gerard, and I say that as an ex Navy man!
I once went on a skiing trip with the Navy (adventurous training!) to Tignes and every day we would arrive at the slopes at the same time as some French mountain troop conscripts. We got the lifts up and enjoyed our day. The troops proceeded to spend all day herring bone UP the slope to the summit and got one run down at the end of the day!
At night we would see them in the bar we used. They were virtually unable to speak and could hardly lift there bottle of “stubby 33” lager to their lips. Poor devils!
Old 13 Feb 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3957354)   #483
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Spot on Andy, being a conscript here was a hassle and only a hassle. I must confess that back in the seventies we could have mechanical weekends with the toys left by the US Army, like GP's and GMC trucks. We were praying for rain because its so much fun to have a double rear axle and twin wheel GMC sideways! A Jeep can be less fun when driven at its limit…
Old 13 Feb 2020, 12:45 (Ref:3957416)   #484
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
On the subject of modern technology it seems mercedes have a novel way of exhaust regeneration. This happened in our yard yesterday, the exhaust was regenerating when suddenly flames shot out of it and the truck went up.
The instructions for mine is not to stand near the exhaust or park within a metre of another vehicle at regeneration time. A lorry next to it and one of the driver's cars also got damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9292.JPG  
Old 13 Feb 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3957418)   #485
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
On the subject of modern technology it seems mercedes have a novel way of exhaust regeneration. This happened in our yard yesterday, the exhaust was regenerating when suddenly flames shot out of it and the truck went up.
The instructions for mine is not to stand near the exhaust or park within a metre of another vehicle at regeneration time. A lorry next to it and one of the driver's cars also got damaged.
OMG! That's a bit extreme, how do you explain that to the insurance company?
Old 13 Feb 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3957420)   #486
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
OMG! That's a bit extreme, how do you explain that to the insurance company?
I think it'll be a battle between our insurance dept and Mercs, that's if we ever get down to what actually caused it, we self insure up to £250K so it could be our loss
Old 13 Feb 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3957425)   #487
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I think it'll be a battle between our insurance dept and Mercs, that's if we ever get down to what actually caused it, we self insure up to £250K so it could be our loss
Does that in any way explain why there seem to be more motorway lorry fires that start in the areas of the engine these days?

When I was a regular M-way user I saw relatively few fires and those I did see usually seemed to be related to things like un-noticed punctures or possibly sticking brakes on artic trailers.

These days there seam to be many more and with so many photos and videos published we have visual evidence that seems to suggest the fires have started in the area of the engine rather than somewhere further back.

This is sort of Zafira and BMW territory (and Ferrari but for different reasons).

I get the impression that a lot of BMW fires are diesel rather than petrol related which would be counter-intuitive to my old-school expectations. But back that diesels were nothing like as complex as they are now so perhaps less prone to dramatic conflagrations? (also fewer of them in the terms of cars but the lorry and van fire incidence compared to fleet size appears to be higher these days.

I suppose there will be some sort of stats around somewhere.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 13:34 (Ref:3957429)   #488
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
grant, it could well be, some of our trucks have plumes of smoke emanating from when they regenerate. The annoying thing is that the pollution is still there, just shifted around a bit.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 18:04 (Ref:3957487)   #489
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Back to wizz,pop bang engines. Here is MG David trying out a Delta.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG David trying a Delta for size,.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	57367
Old 13 Feb 2020, 18:14 (Ref:3957489)   #490
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Out of Africa!
Old 13 Feb 2020, 21:03 (Ref:3957519)   #491
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Back to wizz,pop bang engines. Here is MG David trying out a Delta.
Attachment 57367
Standing in for Mini-Max !
Sorely tempted to place an order for next winter production
Old 14 Feb 2020, 19:30 (Ref:3957639)   #492
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting little read. Not sure what to think on this one.

https://www.autosport.com/historics/...an-pro-drivers
Old 14 Feb 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3957645)   #493
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

The right call in my opinion.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 20:56 (Ref:3957646)   #494
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Don't see a problem - drive like a knob, you're not welcome. Simple.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 22:06 (Ref:3957650)   #495
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Agreed.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 22:15 (Ref:3957651)   #496
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post

Well quite.

So we know some people are in. Also that some of the problem Pro drivers are young people who might wish to be Pro drivers. (Did I get that right?)

Taking all of that information into account one has to wonder why some well known names were omitted from the pre-approved list.

No mention of one Mr. M. Bell for example.

Poor form Ron ... or is there something that we don't know about?

Old 15 Feb 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3957685)   #497
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Taking all of that information into account one has to wonder why some well known names were omitted from the pre-approved list.
This kind of ultra short list is always difficult to publish. C'est le genre d'exercice que nous appellons "casse gueule" voyez vous, mon cher…………
Old 15 Feb 2020, 08:02 (Ref:3957687)   #498
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Don't see a problem - drive like a knob, you're not welcome. Simple.
Hopefully true whether you are a Pro driver or not!
Old 15 Feb 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3957705)   #499
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Hopefully true whether you are a Pro driver or not!
Yes, no monopoly for stupidity!
Old 17 Feb 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3957982)   #500
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Wonder of wonders the Donington relief road has opened.

Perhaps only because they were concerned that Dennis might blow away the remaining barriers?

The weekend rain leaves the embankments looking like they might be about to be washed away. The new housing at the top of them may be in for some interesting times unless the rain stops soon.

Now a bad road though. At least the up hill sections have two lanes - presumably to allow for slow moving trucks.

Approaching the top roundabout on the airport perimeter one can see why there might have been problems. Over the top of the hill and slightly down towards the roundabout .. the control tower is almost directly ahead. So traffic approaching the roundabout at night will be pointing headlights directly at the ATC tower. It's so accurately pointing at the tower that one wonders if it was set up a a deliberate target.

Anyway, for anyone from the north or west there is not a reasonable alternative route to getting to Donington avoiding M1 J24 and the run past the airport to the east and south should that be busy.

Just a shame that access to the circuit no longer uses the old main entrance.

Also that the roundabout to the north did indeed fill with water yesterday as predicted.

Lots of very noisy stuff at the track today.

I must put in a complaint about the wind speed and direction that means I can hear all of the action despite closed windows and double glazing.

The New housing development, being much closer, will no doubt result in multiple complaints about noise in the very near future.
Closed Thread