Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 May 2021, 02:38 (Ref:4052000)   #796
Compromised
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 753
Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Why are Supercars spending all this time and money to develop purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines going when a series with purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines running already exists....?
1. Not their idea

2. Self interest. How will T8 subcontract composite parts to India when somebody is already making them? Hard to muscle your way in to an already running series.
Compromised is offline  
Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 02:48 (Ref:4052001)   #797
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 5,843
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow.

Supercars detractors: 888 monopoly! 888 charge too much!

Same detractors: 888 outsource to India

Cognitive dissonance much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 03:54 (Ref:4052002)   #798
Tourer
Veteran
 
Tourer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Australia
Sideways
Posts: 3,407
Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!Tourer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec83 View Post
Just use the new NACSAR concept full stop… mustang, camaro and camry ready to go
Agree - not only that but it's set up for Hybrid power adding as well. Could work here with a few tweaks (such as bigger brakes for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
NASCAR’s legal team might be in touch.
If they simply copied yeah but Supercars have had contact with NASCAR for quite a few years so something might be worked out.
Tourer is offline  
__________________
“We’re far from having too much horsepower…[m]y definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear.” ― Mark Donohue
Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 06:18 (Ref:4052007)   #799
Compromised
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 753
Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Wow.

Supercars detractors: 888 monopoly! 888 charge too much!

Same detractors: 888 outsource to India

Cognitive dissonance much.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk


T8 do have a monopoly on some parts

T8 does outsource to India

T8 do charge too much for said parts (leading some teams to buy parts from ..other sources.)


Let me also say T8 are the class team, easily most professional.
Compromised is offline  
Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4052056)   #800
Casper
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,704
Casper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
T8 do have a monopoly on some parts

T8 does outsource to India

T8 do charge too much for said parts (leading some teams to buy parts from ..other sources.)


Let me also say T8 are the class team, easily most professional.
They run a business and want to maximise the return from that business as any sensible person would do. By what measure do they charge too much AKA rip other teams off? If the other teams boycotted the items and bought elsewhere then they would have two choices, lower the price or get out of the supply chain for the series.
Casper is offline  
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 05:29 (Ref:4052127)   #801
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,151
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
They run a business and want to maximise the return from that business as any sensible person would do. By what measure do they charge too much AKA rip other teams off? If the other teams boycotted the items and bought elsewhere then they would have two choices, lower the price or get out of the supply chain for the series.
When they are control parts, other teams have no choices.

Competitive teams shouldn't be allowed to supply control parts. Control parts should be the preserve of Harrop Engineering, Garry Rogers Motorsport, Pace Engineering etc -- independents only.

Garry Rogers Motorsport have always been very good at building parts on at an affordable cost -- it is shameful that Supercars haven't relied heavily on GRM to help develop Gen 3, now that GRM are not a competitor V8 Supercar team...
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 10:13 (Ref:4052146)   #802
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 5,843
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
When they are control parts, other teams have no choices.
Yeah they do, they have a choice during the bidding process. People act as if the teams are beholden to 888 as if they are taken hostage. Any of them are able to bid against 888 at the control part stage. Why didn't Tickford or Penske win control part bids? Because they chose not to.

How many people sit on the Supercars board to make these decisions? How many of those seats are held by 888?

You do realise that as a business with shareholders, if the tender process excluded teams for no valid reason, and GRM was a more expensive bidder than 888RE for example, that shareholders could sue the management?

I think many of the cost overruns in COTF have related to things like brakes and the transaxles which 888 has nothing to do with. Does anybody really give a **** if 888 outsource parts for a pedal box to India? There is absurd fixation here over minutia that simply doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Competitive teams shouldn't be allowed to supply control parts. Control parts should be the preserve of Harrop Engineering, Garry Rogers Motorsport, Pace Engineering etc -- independents only.
Any and all of those bodies can bid for any work that they like. It's like saying nobody should have let Perkins Engineering sell engines or cars in their era. It's ridiculous and has no basis in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Garry Rogers Motorsport have always been very good at building parts on at an affordable cost -- it is shameful that Supercars haven't relied heavily on GRM to help develop Gen 3, now that GRM are not a competitor V8 Supercar team...
So why then did GRM not outbid 888 for any and all control parts? GRM also now literally have what, 45% ownership now of the promoter for TCR. If that was 888 owning 45% of Supercars and bidding on TCR parts, the screams of conflict of interest would be deafening.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 11:04 (Ref:4052155)   #803
Spec83
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 12
Spec83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Gen 3 (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Agree - not only that but it's set up for Hybrid power adding as well. Could work here with a few tweaks (such as bigger brakes for example).

If they simply copied yeah but Supercars have had contact with NASCAR for quite a few years so something might be worked out.

Yep you would need to licence the tech from NASCAR, not just copy it - their process are all setup and the next gen car actually looks ok given they are no longer offset and have centrelocks etc.

The supercar engines should drop straight in, throw a flow restrictor in there for good measure to stop the chase for horsepower by making airflow the limiting factor.

Only hurdle might be the whole conversion to RHD thing, I imagine the safety cell is heavily focused on LHD protection and might not be so easy to just ‘flip’ over.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spec83 is offline  
__________________
I want you to go back out on that track.... and hit the pace car
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4052182)   #804
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran
 
Jimmy Magnusson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Sweden
Posts: 2,253
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Why are Supercars spending all this time and money to develop purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines going when a series with purpose built Mustang’s & Camaro’s with V8 engines running already exists....?

The mind boggles..... times were simpler when CAMS ran the ATCC and could just apply an appropriate ruleset to the title....



Do a Bob Jane style deal?

The Repco Cup Series has a nice ring to it.....

The TA2's aren't exactly cars for an A Level racing series. They're not even cars for an A Level racing series where I'm from.

Maybe they'll be in NZ but that speaks more to the situation they've put themselves in.
Jimmy Magnusson is offline  
__________________
Michael Delaney was wrong. In between is not waiting - in between is the glory, the passion. In between is what elevates racing.
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 20:23 (Ref:4052202)   #805
Compromised
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 753
Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
* Everyone (fans, drivers, team owners) come out against paddle shift.

* Jamie comes out in Speedcafe in favor of paddle shift

* Suggestions paddle shift WILL be in Gen3


Hmmmmmm.....
Compromised is offline  
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 20:45 (Ref:4052204)   #806
Matt K
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,228
Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
* Everyone (fans, drivers, team owners) come out against paddle shift.

* Jamie comes out in Speedcafe in favor of paddle shift

* Suggestions paddle shift WILL be in Gen3


Hmmmmmm.....
Exactly my thought. Retarded, isn't it?
Can we expect 'GT-style' steering wheels then? It's also an idea only Whincup is for...
Matt K is offline  
Quote
Old 18 May 2021, 22:06 (Ref:4052214)   #807
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Surry Hills, NSW
Posts: 5,843
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You figured it out! The Lizard people have put Jamie in charge!

Or maybe he doesn't hate it like others do, he sees the way the wind is blowing and decides to say he supports it.

Maybe?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4052215)   #808
V8 Fireworks
Veteran
 
V8 Fireworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,151
V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chassis number two ready for paint and assembly, complete with brackets for control front suspension!



https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/05/19...type-revealed/

Some good Gen 3 milestones for this exciting new era of the Australian Touring Car Championship.

The semi-solid bulkhead on the main hoop shows why the digital rear view mirror is necessary.

I wonder why the bolt-on and bolt-off points of the front and rear clips aren't closer to the main hoop and forward hoop, in order to make the chassis easier to repair!? Seems most curious.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 19 May 2021 at 00:49.
V8 Fireworks is offline  
Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 00:47 (Ref:4052216)   #809
bloggs
Racer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Australia
Goldcoast
Posts: 103
bloggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are Supercars going to have Two chassis or do they have to choose one only?
bloggs is offline  
__________________
one partner
one EX wife
one daughter
one hellava life
Quote
Old 19 May 2021, 01:45 (Ref:4052219)   #810
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,996
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
The TA2's aren't exactly cars for an A Level racing series. They're not even cars for an A Level racing series where I'm from.

Maybe they'll be in NZ but that speaks more to the situation they've put themselves in.
What constitutes a car for an A level racing series?
one five five is offline  
Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LMDh (DPi regulations version 2.0) NaBUru38 North American Racing 168 Today 04:31
New F1 Team - Panthers seeking to join grid for 2022 karting Formula One 29 31 Aug 2019 21:57
[WEC] Audi to Return in 2022? rdjones ACO Regulated Series 21 28 Sep 2018 20:23
Gen IV B/Mark IRL Indycar Series 14 22 Jul 2003 04:33


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2021 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.