Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 6 Apr 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4044824)   #7936
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO wanted faster Hypercars, but the merger with imsa's LMDh has forced the Hypercar category to slow down.
So, you don't want the ACO / IMSA merging?
Old 6 Apr 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4044836)   #7937
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetleouf View Post
ACO wanted faster Hypercars, but the merger with imsa's LMDh has forced the Hypercar category to slow down.
Ummm, that's not correct at all. Every single thing you said was incorrect there
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4044838)   #7938
SnoodyMcFlude
Racer

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty sure the ACO always said that they wanted Hypercars to be targeting 3:30 at Le Mans, and being BOPped to that lap time. As I recall, that was before proper talks began to have a class which would be eligible in both IMSA and ACO series.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4044839)   #7939
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
I don’t think laptime should be that important and BoP will always be tough to implement. Anyway I look forward to how the Hypercars go. And with IMSA having an uncertain future and ACO having their own problems to deal with, I can’t see them having IMSA cars joining in at Le Mans
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4044840)   #7940
Napolis
Racer

Napolis has a real shot at the championship!Napolis has a real shot at the championship!Napolis has a real shot at the championship!Napolis has a real shot at the championship!Napolis has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Pretty sure the ACO always said that they wanted Hypercars to be targeting 3:30 at Le Mans, and being BOPped to that lap time. As I recall, that was before proper talks began to have a class which would be eligible in both IMSA and ACO series.
That time and the reduction in HP from 870 to 670 was part of the desire to enable convergence. We were part of those discussions and agreed to reduce our 870 which obviously affected desired lap times.
The ACO and IMSA definitely want convergence to work and I think they will work together to make that happen.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4044852)   #7941
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Once the convergence is completed, who knows - they might "up the power" slowly through evolutions of the rules.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4044919)   #7942
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Once the convergence is completed, who knows - they might "up the power" slowly through evolutions of the rules.
Of course that will happen. The lap times will decrease anyway. LMP1s were doing sub 3:15 lap times despite the regulations, not because of them.

In the mid-2000s, the top class were doing 3:30s and then with development, the lap times came tumbling down. Obviously LMHs are homologated, but new, quicker cars will join and the BOP will be made faster, as well as advances in set-up and understanding of any track changes.

I'm also finding the criticism of slowing down LMP2 slightly odd, I can remember all the way back to - checks notes - 4 years ago when people complained about the new P2 regs. I, for one, actually agree with everything said in criticism of the time and I would be perfectly happy for that category to die. I hate spec racing. I just find it odd that so many are now defending it !
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4044929)   #7943
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
I think the criticism is more that slowing them down is actually necessary due to completely foreseeable changes to the top class, and those changes have been clumsily executed.
Not sure anyone is actually defending LMPOreca in its current form.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4044942)   #7944
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
Quote:
Ummm, that's not correct at all. Every single thing you said was incorrect there
As Napolis says, in the beginning, the power of the engines was much more important.
I therefore deduce that the problem would not have arisen without the convergence.

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/to...ires-lmh-lmdh/
Old 8 Apr 2021, 04:25 (Ref:4045042)   #7945
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
Spaniard in Mexico City
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As Napolis says, in the beginning, the power of the engines was much more important.
I therefore deduce that the problem would not have arisen without the convergence.

Convergence is the main reason there's so much manufacturer interest in the first place, the poor execution and BoP mess is another problem.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4045058)   #7946
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Convergence is the main reason there's so much manufacturer interest in the first place, the poor execution and BoP mess is another problem.

I agree with you and I do not complain about the convergence.
But it seems unfair to me to say that it has no impact on the current BOP problems.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 05:15 (Ref:4045254)   #7947
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think if imsa put its foot down and said hybrids need to make more power, the 800+hp would have stayed. Im hopeful in a years time they at least consider dropping minimum weight to 950kg or thereabouts.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4045333)   #7948
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!Mike E is going for a new world record!
It's an impressive driver line up developing this hydrogen car - Vandoorne, Nato and Richelmi.
And they are getting even further ahead of the game than all the GT drivers jumping into LMP2.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...r-for-h24.html
Old 16 Apr 2021, 07:08 (Ref:4046177)   #7949
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

That is correct to a point - but the main reason things were to be slowed was if I recall correctly when Aston Martin wanted to join with a road car based project they insisted that the minimum weight was increased. This was before convegence was a thing as the ACO at that point wanted to go it alone.
Old 16 Apr 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4046208)   #7950
Mike E
Veteran

If only someone had written this all down while it was happening...