Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Aug 2002, 15:43 (Ref:366704)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Posting of images

The FAQ says, "We also ask that you only post an image if it does add to the value of your post, and that you do so in moderation - this forum is not here as an extension of your hard drive!"

Since the thread was about Motorsports Photography, our uploading of images did not violate the first part of the rule (adding value to the post) but did violate the spirit (moderation).

In future, when including (and discussing) images, I'll post the pictures on my own webspace and insert them - which won't speed up the loading time of the pages in question, but will reduce the load on Craig's server.

Sorry, Craig.

Last edited by paul-collins; 27 Aug 2002 at 15:44.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Aug 2002, 16:01 (Ref:366716)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Paul
Not overly fussed about the server space issue to be honest - although this IS a discussion forum rather than a picture post - but the problem relates to the displaying of the images. On slower connections and less powerful systems there can be problems with the browser hanging or even crashing when it has to load too many pictures on one page and this is why we have this rule.

What I would suggest is that, rather than posting the images in the topic, we add a link to the url of the photo.

ie rather than using the [img] tags we use [url]

Does that make sense ?
Old 27 Aug 2002, 16:24 (Ref:366742)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Crystal Clear Craig!

Sorry for my antics there, I should of known better!

(in hindsight I wish I'd just posted 1 picture - but i had trouble finding my best one)
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:11 (Ref:366775)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Makes perfect sense - although maybe just proper thread headings would take care of that. i.e. "Motorsport photography - images" and "Motorsport photography - discussion".

Actually, would there be enough demand for a forum of its own?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Aug 2002, 17:15 (Ref:366778)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
No that would actually make it worse Paul. The ratio of photos per page would increase with 'image only' topics.

As for having a dedicated forum that is something that has been discussed amongst the staff and the current feeling is that there'd not be enough ineterest sadly.
Old 27 Aug 2002, 19:25 (Ref:366921)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Well, what I meant was that for those who are interested in the discussion of photography, separating out images into their own thread would allow them to discuss without having to download 5-to-10 images to follow the thread.

But, you're right, with 20 replies (potentially 20 pictures) per page, those threads would take forever to download via POTS.

I don't often consider these issues, as I have a reasonably quick connection at work, and a blazing cable one at home.

Maybe, in discussions, we could upload thumbnails and link them to photos on other webspaces (ie click on the thumbnail and another browser window opens for that pic). I'd have to think about how, as users, we'd implement that... I'm sure it would be a bear for you to program the server to do it for us, though, so I won't even ask.

-Bill James
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:22 (Ref:366976)   #7
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Assuming you have access to some webspace you can easily do it already

[ url="big_pic_URL" ] [ img="small_pic_URL" ] [ /url ]

Leave out the space and replace with appropriate URLs
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:49 (Ref:366995)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Dead easy. What would be a good limit for thumbnails, 100x100?

-Bill James
Old 27 Aug 2002, 20:53 (Ref:366996)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
As a rule I'd use 150x100 for thumbs and 800x600 for the main images.
Old 28 Aug 2002, 15:29 (Ref:367524)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
So here's a test: the last photo I posted in "motorsports photography 2". 800x600 for the big one.

redshoes, there's a small error in your vb.

[ url="full_size_URL" ][ IMG ]thumbnail_URL[ /IMG ][ /url ]

(of course, removing the spaces)

Last edited by paul-collins; 28 Aug 2002 at 15:34.

-Bill James
Old 28 Aug 2002, 16:05 (Ref:367544)   #11
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Close enough from memory
Old 8 Sep 2002, 00:08 (Ref:375492)   #12
mwphoto
Rookie

United States
Canton, Mi. U.S.A.
mwphoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are free or at least cheap sites that you can download your pictures to. All you need to do is post the address and show your pictures. If this is something I can do, anyone can put one together.
P.S. Paul-Collins you were braver than me at Mosport, I don't mind a little (lots at Mosport) of rain, put the lighting sent me to my car!

mwphoto web site

Last edited by mwphoto; 8 Sep 2002 at 00:11.
Old 8 Sep 2002, 02:05 (Ref:375511)   #13
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Yeh, that lightning was something else. We ended up in our cars, too. But since we were camping, we had our cars right near the viewing area. And we could watch the dark clouds roll in...

I already have something like 70 megs of webspace via my ISP (I've got about 15-20 used now), so I don't have to worry about where to post.

-Bill James