Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 Jul 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2498650)   #26
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
was it ever re shelled?
I don't believe so, Tino is a panel beater by trade and so are his 2 nephews, who have been doing al the recent work on the car. Great blokes they also sponsor my car -
Old 13 Jul 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2500463)   #27
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
I remember seeing John Mann's 64 Mustang raced by someone else when he had the 68, not sure if it had been sold or not.
Still got it,would be the most raced,most winning Mustang ever.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2500541)   #28
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
genuine Shelby 350 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
Pretty sure that he bought it new (65/66 model ) and built it up himself , he was quite a conservative driver in the Mustang but used to give the Alfa heaps , the Mustang used to race against XT Falcon GT (Rod Donovan) and in 69/70 the XW GTHO Falcon (Stan Starcevic) and (Wayne Negus in a variety of Holdens) with (Fritz Kohout) in a Porsche .
I don't know what classes they were racing in (series production was the major category) but it was just local WA sporting car club meetings .
Was a nice pure white car with a small English flag decal on the drivers door .
Stephenson ran the 350 GTR imported by Greg Cusack, then to Niel Allen before going west ... never raced at Caversham, see link photo at Wanneroo.
Went to Tony Calvert in Tas after Stephenson, now back in the US.
http://www.warm.org.au/images/Histor...%20Mustang.htm

I best remember the duels with Peter Briggs in the ex Beechey HK 327.

I believe his Group N car was built up from a road car whilst Stephenson was WASCC president. To be sure try http://www.speedwest.net/ or http://www.terrywalkersplace.com/

Rob, there are a few Mustangs in Group N over in the west, the ex Stillwell car for sure, dont know about the others, try speedwest they are friendly fans.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2500631)   #29
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Cavvy , the picture of the Mustang behind the HK Monaro is not the Mustang I was refering to , the one in the picture is a later model - I don't have any research material , but just from memory the one I was refering to was a 65/66 model and pure white (may even have had rego plates on it)
All in all I guess it doesn't really matter as it's such a long time ago - the years in question I lived and worked (auto engineering shop) in Wanneroo and used to see the "racing cars" driving to the track for practice prior to a race meeting , it was all pretty exciting for a young bloke .
Old 14 Jul 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2501316)   #30
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon Stephenson

Not my recollection but it is a year or so back.
I was doing some work for Gordon (not related to cars) thru those years & went out to Wanneroo with him, his wife & crew when he drove the Shelby for the first time. He had only raced Alfas to that point.
I dont recollect the car you speak of.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2501932)   #31
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
Not my recollection but it is a year or so back.
I was doing some work for Gordon (not related to cars) thru those years & went out to Wanneroo with him, his wife & crew when he drove the Shelby for the first time. He had only raced Alfas to that point.
I dont recollect the car you speak of.
Hi Cavvy,while the car was a Shelby,it was not a 350GTR,it was a Shelby built Trans/Am mustang,year 1967/8.