Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Apr 2001, 11:44 (Ref:81901)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok, we have Bathurst, Adelaide, Canberra, also Surfers, and Albert Park. Where would you have a V8 street race? In you home town, past your house? Could it become reality- is there enough space for grandstands and the pits? I've got a few in mind, but would need a heavy duty bulldozer to level some uneven terrain
Old 18 Apr 2001, 11:46 (Ref:81903)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Past my house would be interesting as it is a dead-end street. I know a good little loop that would be interesting if a little bit straight at times... What about a time trial through Galston Gorge?
Old 18 Apr 2001, 12:00 (Ref:81911)   #3
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eliphino,

Now your talking! I grew up thrashing a Mini Clubman GT through the Gorge and the Wiseman's Ferry Road. Then Brickies at Homebush on a Saturday night. One extreme to the other. Tight mountain roads leading to gravel dirt then onto illegal street drags in the darkened city.

Why not mix it up as we punters do? Imagine the V8's on dirt one day, straight out quarter mile ETA's the next.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 12:32 (Ref:81929)   #4
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gots an idea, Crash Test!! Might need just a little bit of resurfacing, but how about the run off the Storey Bridge into the Valley? Rivalling the great jumps in the Rally of Portugal the downhill bit...
Old 18 Apr 2001, 12:48 (Ref:81933)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I don't know about a circuit, but the great ocean road would be phenominal
Old 18 Apr 2001, 12:55 (Ref:81934)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wrex,

How does the Subarru go down that way? The most fun I've had on that road was punting a Harley along! Hang on - full speed ahead, keep the corner speed up - don't worry how much the scrapes cost - AND PRAY!
Old 18 Apr 2001, 13:17 (Ref:81939)   #7
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woo hoo!! The only way to go through the state of Victoria - FLAT OUT!!
Old 18 Apr 2001, 14:20 (Ref:81968)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Moff, it goes sensational - ask the copper that suspended my licence for it
Old 18 Apr 2001, 16:50 (Ref:82002)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
The great ocean road would be fantastic ..

anyway as I have posted before there are plans about for a race through the streets of my hometown (Albury)

and it would be pretty good there are loads of places to hold the event around here..for example the old Hume Wier track..LOL

dont know if anyone remembers this track but it was interesting to say the least..but sadly the council have regained the land and it is now back to being the quarry it once was.

I reckon a street race around the bay at geelong would be pretty good..nice views and some fine turns thrown in would make it very interesting.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 23:37 (Ref:82150)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe Hume Weir- a run around the clothes line. They would have to chain all of the cars together to form a congo line to ensure that 32 cars fit on the track

Story Bridge, then cut over past Riverside, then over the Captain Cook Bridge, and then through the Gabba and over again, fantastic!

They could revive the old Spa but having a track that goes up Mount Glorious, and down through Samford....ok, it wouldn't be 107 corners, more like 1007

How about Mount Mee? What a shocking name for a landmark... and completley irrelevent to this thread but it would make a good rally stage.

There are some fantastic roads around my place here on the northside of Brisbane, but would have to tell the neighbourhood to move out before the bulldozers move in...
Old 19 Apr 2001, 00:02 (Ref:82153)   #11
RALFANATOR
Racer

RALFANATOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that cronulla circut

some bloke about 1to2 yrs ago tried to get a track at cronulla across the shore drive I still think that would be ideal long straight , hairpin . and a huge negitive down hill cambered sweeper . Bring it on!FLAT OUT!!
Old 19 Apr 2001, 04:21 (Ref:82205)   #12
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep, the one they proposed a few years back for Cronulla gets my vote ... that would be soooooo cool!!
Old 19 Apr 2001, 12:34 (Ref:82312)   #13
thompson_fan
Racer

thompson_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually designed 1 or 2 around Sydney, one past my place with a geart pit area, 1 in Sydney itself with a great back straight but no pit lane area. yet.
Old 20 Apr 2001, 11:27 (Ref:82642)   #14
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets have a race in my home town. Oh yeh we already have the best track,Mt Panorama!!!!!

When i used to live in Penrith and drive all over the place i used to pick sections of roads to make into one giant race track.Here are a few good bits. Bells line of road from the lookout a Kurrajong heights to the Kurrajong turn-off,The decent out of mount victoria and then the uphill run of rivelett hill on the Gt western hgy.conrod straight without the chase, and i would have to agree with galston gorge and wisemans ferry. My mazda RX3 was awsome fun thru the gorge,and sounded great.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 20 Apr 2001, 11:45 (Ref:82649)   #15
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moff, what about along wiseman's ferry road, across the river, up the other road (can't remember name).

That Cronulla one would have been interesting, and the suggested F1 track at the Rocks. While I don't think any route was planned, the idea was there despite the lack of space and steep gradients in a few areas.
Old 20 Apr 2001, 12:21 (Ref:82659)   #16
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
The great ocean road would be fantastic ..

anyway as I have posted before there are plans about for a race through the streets of my hometown (Albury)

and it would be pretty good there are loads of places to hold the event around here..for example the old Hume Wier track..LOL
Don't forget the Wirlinga circuit, which used part of the old Hume Highway, the Riverina Hwy, Orphanage lane (now all destroyed) and the road across the top end... lots of straight, unlike Hume Weir... I raced there, though.

Interesting to me was the Canberra circuit, because I planned one around Parliament House when I lived there, but it went right around and wasn't the goat track they finished up with... and I had the pit lane in the forecourt of the old Parliament House.

In Sydney, the best one would be the 9.9 miles which is in Kuringai Chase Nat Pk, just look at the map and it jumps out at you, round Coal & Candle Creek... awesome!

Also in that area is the right name for that Mt Panorama place... err... what is it? Oh, yes, Commodore Heights...
Old 20 Apr 2001, 12:38 (Ref:82660)   #17
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also in that area is the right name for that Mt Panorama place... err... what is it? Oh, yes, Commodore Heights...
Dont go tarnishing my name with that commondore word

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 20 Apr 2001, 15:32 (Ref:82731)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ray ..I would be interested in hearing about this Wirlinga circiut..I have tried over the past few years to find info on this track..a bloke i work with owns property that part of this track used...but being a non racing fan doesnt know much and doesnt really care..can you believe that 30 years ago a grandstand for the track that was on the site was on his property and they chopped it up and used it for firewood.

i have been trying to find the track layout as this track is just down the road from my house..but so far have only been able to come up with 2 bits..(the Riverina hwy and the old hume hwy that you mentioned)

if you know anything about this track i would dearly love to hera about it..maybe you could start a topic in the historic forum about it.

Cheers
Marcus
Old 23 Apr 2001, 03:23 (Ref:83885)   #19
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really a circuit as such, but I would love to see the V8's going along Mc Carrs Creek Road (near Church Point) one after the other on a timed stage. They would finally have to resurface the road as well!

Last edited by Langers; 23 Apr 2001 at 03:29.
Old 23 Apr 2001, 23:21 (Ref:84198)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've often thought about a great street circuit in inner Brisbane. Use Gilchrist Avenue for the start finish line and Victoria Park for the pit area and Gregory Terrace for the back straight. It'll never happen, the traffic would be a nightmare, but think of all those undulating, fast sweeping corners!
Old 24 Apr 2001, 00:28 (Ref:84225)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
David- You've read my mind! That would be a classic...I'd run it along Kelvin Grove Road, down along the railway line, back up bast the Hospital, golf course and uni, and back onto KG Road. There would hardly be a staight piece of road in it...just flat out sweepers. I'd have the pits where the cricket fields are/were, plenty of space there, but I'm not sure what the inner city by-pass would do to the track.

Another one I like would be over at Everton Park. Have it run past the state school there on Old Northern Road, then a tight hairpin onto South Pine Road, then the never ending sweepers onto Queens Road (past Cameron McLeans old workshop)do a lap of the Rode Road roundabout, then back along the sweeps and back again. Very hilly, not many straight bits, not really that much room....but it would be fantastic!
Old 24 Apr 2001, 04:44 (Ref:84292)   #22
Ray Bell
Veteran

Gilchrist Ave? KGR? Dowhill sweep past KFC? or turn right there... don't really know that area well enough, but it's good terrain all right..

Any way that Jinker Trail at Albany Creek could be used... downhill, of course?

As for McCarr's Creek Road, that's the one I couldn't name... link it with the Coal & Candle Creek loop and you have the 9.9 mile circuit, Langers.

Now, Wirlinga... Marcus, when you look to the left as you're heading towards that old section of the Hume Hwy along the Riverina Hwy, you see the remnants of Orphanage Lane going off up the hill.. the typical rows of gum trees each side of the road, but the roadway is mostly gone at that end.

Heading up the new road that runs parallel to Orphanage Lane you turn into the next on the right, and it ends at Orphanage Lane, where you see the road clearly, and the little crests that got the cars airborne when it was still gravel and very narrow...

The top end of Orphanage Lane, where the orphanage was, is there in bits and pieces... you can see where it's crossed by new streets, the orphanage is still there, with the lane in front of it, but it's reached by a cul-de-sac in the new subdivision... you seen the road running under people's new houses, all that stuff.

The road across the northern end has been totally realigned, curving instead of being straight, and there's a walkway (from memory) meets up with it where Orphanage Lane used to be.

Somewhere I have names and addresses of people who helped me with the MRA story about it last year...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 05:19 (Ref:84307)   #23
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Any way that Jinker Trail at Albany Creek could be used... downhill, of course?
- Fantastic stuff that...

btw, a little off topic i know, but is there a red light camera at the end of the Jinker Track at the Old Northern Road end? I hope not...
Old 24 Apr 2001, 05:31 (Ref:84311)   #24
Ray Bell
Veteran

There shouldn't be on race day... but...

Funny thing about that, there was a camera on the lights at Anzac Ave and Nathan Rd a few months ago... saw the pole, the box, and the flash when the bloke behind me went through it...

Now there's nothing of it there at all...

Even when the box is there, it might not have the camera installed... same with the speed cameras along the highways in NSW... in boxes on poles, with flashes ... life is fun these days... Russian roulette!