Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2004, 09:12 (Ref:979472)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
"Montoya wants to cancel McLaren contract..."

Just read over on F1-Live that an "unnamed source" has quoted Montoya as wanting to end his contract with the McLaren team...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...23091906.shtml
Old 23 May 2004, 09:25 (Ref:979484)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"un-named source" thats credible!!!

but i can see why he would want to cancel... it doesnt always work out the way you want it too... IMO he signed too soon for Mac... he should have waited till atleast the start of this year...
Old 23 May 2004, 09:28 (Ref:979491)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch. With the unnamed team owner, i kinda have my doubts...and i would be surprised if Montoya really wants to get out.

Of course, it's only logical that Mclaren isn't the best place to win a WDC now... and that given the circumstances, it is highly possible that it may just be the work of a bored journalists...

But while it's Montoya's agent's job to keep looking for the best deals, i would be disappointed if Montoya did indeed intiate such a move.

I hope it's false....afterall i am one of those looking forward to a Kimi vs Juan...
Old 23 May 2004, 09:31 (Ref:979494)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does he regret making the hasty decision to leave Williams in the aftermath of last year's French GP? Especially since its almost certain that Ralf ain't staying there.
Old 23 May 2004, 09:37 (Ref:979499)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well his current Williams is no better than McLaren anyway, so its hard to see where else he could go.
Old 23 May 2004, 09:57 (Ref:979521)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, neither team is doing that well esorniloc, but i think you may be exagerating Williams' issues atm.
Old 23 May 2004, 10:23 (Ref:979554)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well Ralf could have been on pole, so I don't think that the Williams car is actually that bad.
I just think Montoya had a knightmare setting up the car, which is strange as in 2003 his car was a dream around Monaco.
Old 23 May 2004, 10:23 (Ref:979556)   #8
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if this news is correct, then what a sissy. if only his cojones were as big as his face hole.

again i repeat that the above applies if and only if he's trying to wiggle out.
Old 23 May 2004, 10:40 (Ref:979576)   #9
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they are starting 9th and 12th, Ralf was probably running very low fuel, so he was lighter. I think they have big problems and the car IS that bad.
Its no Match for Ferrari, Renault or BAR at the moment.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:27 (Ref:979623)   #10
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't agree, Ralf was bumped down the grid because of the engine change on Thursday, not because his car is having a bad year, not a great year granted though!

Anyway, just because McLaren aren't looking spectacular this year, doesn't mean that they won't improve next year.

Last edited by Francesca; 23 May 2004 at 11:29.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:27 (Ref:979624)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If this story is true i can't say i feel sorry for JPM, you sign a contract & you honour it.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:55 (Ref:979646)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's his own fault so he should pay the price/reap the benefits (delete as applicable after Interlagos 2005!).
Old 23 May 2004, 13:11 (Ref:979759)   #13
PurplepplEater
Rookie

PurplepplEater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm Well done Alonso

That throws a spanner in the works.............
Old 23 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:979765)   #14
PurplepplEater
Rookie

PurplepplEater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That williams was luckty not to plough into Alonso - Ralf has a problem - but can ralf be blamed?! I can see it now.... ralf helping michael bladibla

Last edited by PurplepplEater; 23 May 2004 at 13:15.
Old 23 May 2004, 13:21 (Ref:979793)   #15
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Montoya showed whatever Ralf can do he can better.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:23 (Ref:979940)   #16
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JPM is ging to be isolated at Williams as he goes at the end of the season, all the latest goodies will go on to Ralf's.
Mclaren are not going to be behind for long, losing the key engine man has had a greater effect than people realised.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:44 (Ref:979983)   #17
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaxs
JPM is ging to be isolated at Williams as he goes at the end of the season, all the latest goodies will go on to Ralf's.
i wouldn't give ralf any "latest goodies" whatsoever, he deserves them less than montoya, i say dump them both right now....this team is in total disarray and they'd better do something to right the ship and quickly....maybe if juan trys really hard he can work his way into a minardi seat for next season....not that they'd have him though.....
Old 23 May 2004, 15:14 (Ref:980058)   #18
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its pretty insensible to thinks that if McLaren is performing badly this year, they will have a difficult 2005 as well. McLaren has more depth in resources than either Williams or Renault and their achilles heel is the engine. Again it wouldnt be right for J. Pablo to cancel a contract with McLaren based on a supposed assumption.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:27 (Ref:980076)   #19
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Juan should stay. To ditch a team when it's down is nothing...i mean, to chase top cars is logical and going to get him wins, but not respect from the mechanics.

Juan knows that Mclaren has huge potential, finance and resources, so why not step in and make it work? Mclaren would get find their feet very soon, and Juan should take this safe bet. Where else could he go?
Old 23 May 2004, 15:36 (Ref:980084)   #20
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Where else could he go?
Out of f1 hopefully!! kidding

Last edited by ralf fan; 23 May 2004 at 15:37.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:44 (Ref:980097)   #21
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I really doubt he would want to cancel his contract.
Like several others said before, there's no reason to assume McLaren wouldn't be able to sort out its car for 2005 (or 2006 at the latest).

Besides, there's no place to go.
I don't think he could stay at Williams (would he be better off, anyway?), and there's no chance at Ferrari. I doubt any of the other teams would be a better pick than McLaren.

I don't believe this rumour.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:20 (Ref:980143)   #22
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would Jenson Button be thinking right now if he was giving an opportunity last year to leave BAR and took it? Montoya has already said he is looking forward to joining the team because when they become competitive again he will be a part of that refound sucess. It's journo gossip.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:42 (Ref:980173)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
yeah and the fact that an "un named source" has said this makes it all the more obvious that it is just journalists trying to make a credible story of purely their own opinion...
Old 23 May 2004, 16:47 (Ref:980179)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster

I just think Montoya had a knightmare setting up the car, which is strange as in 2003 his car was a dream around Monaco.
Slightly off topic i know, but i can't understand JPM's grid position this year, given that he was light, but as you say, last year he set up a car to win the race and the year before, set up the car to put it on pole :confused:

Back on topic, i doubt that JPM will cancel his contract, after all, how much would it cost him?

I did notice in todays News Of The World *(another reliable source ) that they reckon that JPM is the driver who apparently has asked BAR for a drive next year.

*I wouldn't use the News Of The World as toilet paper, you'd put more on than wipe off
Old 23 May 2004, 16:50 (Ref:980183)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaxs
How do you work that out? Rafe's going to Toyota!

Maybe they should give all the latest goodies to Marc Gene as he pounds round the test track, he's the only one who will still be with the team next year .... as test driver of course

Last edited by Mr V; 23 May 2004 at 16:51.

Tags
jpm