Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Oct 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1436703)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IndyCar from 2007

It would make a lot of sense if the IRL IndyCar was a one-make series for Dallara-Hondas from 2007.

Economically much cheaper - it could boost grid numbers and probably make the series even more competitive.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1436729)   #2
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have to agree. It's hard to see where the series is going right now, and a one-make formula might invigorate it a bit. While as a Brit I am finding the AGR domination quite enjoyable it isn't always that exciting to watch, so maybe taking away a couple of the variables would make it a better series. With all these IRL guys taking busmans holidays doing the A1 series, maybe they'll come back with some ideas to discuss with Tony G (if he'll listen!)
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1436773)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
would make sense and a heck of a lot cheaper I would imagine.

time will tell i guess but I guess thats just the way it is heading these days
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:38 (Ref:1438366)   #4
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment I would have to agree. A series should either be 1 make or lots of different makes & at the moment the IRL has 2 so it fits into neither category. I think that a 1 make series is the way to go.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 20 Oct 2005, 07:04 (Ref:1438598)   #5
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question is - will Brian Barnhart realize this?
Old 20 Oct 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1438663)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One would hope so.

Effectively you need a Dallara-Honda to win now, so by the whole field having them it saves money massively.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1438899)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Panoz has signed the C-C contract, thus it's expectable that 2006 will be their last season with IRL.
That must be the reason why some of the few Panoz customers should switch to Dallara: Panoz will hardly be allowed to (nor will they have any interest in ) making significant upgradings to their cars.
Old 20 Oct 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1438954)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It probably would be the best although there seems to be one to many single forumle in motor racing these days.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 08:19 (Ref:1481055)   #9
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Luke the good old days have long since past us, back in the old days when their was one open wheel racing series it was diffrent. Their were multiple team makes with diffrent combinations. If their was still one open wheel racing series it probably still be like that, but because of the split back in 1996, the only way to keep etheir of these series affloat is by having only a 1 engine, 1 body type series.

It's a shame really...

On the other hand, we really get see how the best driver is this way.
Old 11 Dec 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1481832)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So there should be two one-make series instead of one proper championship? Isn't this the same error of judgement as thinking several F3000 clones are better than one Formula 2?
Old 11 Dec 2005, 22:34 (Ref:1481906)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

One series would obviously be better, but it's not going to happen unless one of them dies.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1482020)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much as the single engine supplier, single chassis supplier idea would make things equal, we lose that element of inter-manufacturer rivally which brings something extra in terms of competitiveness to the sport.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 08:29 (Ref:1482121)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weel I think that the multimake solution is really the best only in a series where manufactirers can continuously upgrade their products to increase performance and close the gap when losing.
The situation with IRL, on the contrary, freezes cars at the beginning of the season, with a very short span of preseason tests.
The consequences of it were all but spectacular: a big percentage of the drivers hopelessly prevented from the top since the season offstart because of an uncompetitive package, and the same old faces sharing the podium.

Of course a continuous competition, like in F1, brings costs up, but if $$$ is the problem, that's better to save it by a monomake option, which, at least, gives everyone a chance to excel, and grants fans more exciting races and champioships.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1483698)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Weel I think that the multimake solution is really the best only in a series where manufactirers can continuously upgrade their products to increase performance and close the gap when losing.
The situation with IRL, on the contrary, freezes cars at the beginning of the season, with a very short span of preseason tests.
The consequences of it were all but spectacular: a big percentage of the drivers hopelessly prevented from the top since the season offstart because of an uncompetitive package, and the same old faces sharing the podium.

Of course a continuous competition, like in F1, brings costs up, but if $$$ is the problem, that's better to save it by a monomake option, which, at least, gives everyone a chance to excel, and grants fans more exciting races and champioships.
IndyCar should introduce a model that makes it easier for smaller teams, both those running part-time and those intent on running the full championship, to take part, and I think NASCAR, despite its flaws, would be a good source of inspiration for that.

Grand-Am seems to have a model that works as well, and while I'm not familiar with it I reckon it basically is that if you build a car and engine that fit to the current regulations, you can take it to the track and race with it. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. Given how many different manufacturers and teams are involved there now Grand-Am has to do something right though.

EDIT - Of course, this all depends on whether Brian Barnhart and the other head honchos get off their high horses though, and whether or not they realize that something needs to be done. Right now they are standing with one foot on top of the trap door which sent CART falling to a spikey death below.
Old 15 Dec 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1484925)   #15
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the IRL opened up to independent development, then they'd lose most of their Honda money.

Also, they'd lose tabs on their safety requirements. Its easier to ensure that a fendered car meets safety requirements by simply putting restrictions on the roll cage. However, these cars don't have roll cages so it's a lot harder to test and assure the safety of the drivers if you had a bunch of privateer chassis. Also, I don't think you'd see much entry either. The cost of developing your own competetive chassis is much higher than just buying a used Dallara and I bet the same is true for developing your own 3.0L V8 that puts down over 700 hp reliably.