Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Jun 2003, 18:32 (Ref:620905)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Halfords Tickets

Anyone else receive a letter today from Halfords ref the free ticket offer? It seems I have to go to my local store by, you've guessed it, TODAY (!) to collect my tickets!! GREAT! Well done guys. Of course it'll be closed when I get there and I can't even get in first thing tomorrow to explain as we have a big contract to fulfil at work and I'm working all hours I'm okay as I have my pass but I promised the freebie to a friend which is a real pain in the butt really!

grrrr!!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 18:55 (Ref:620931)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ditto - luckly my local Halfords closes at 8, got in at 6, had tea and then shot down to there, tickets collected no problem. But it looks like they have made one massive cock up IMO.....
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:03 (Ref:620945)   #3
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Do they HAVE to be collected today. I've seen a few on E-bay already.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:16 (Ref:620958)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Apparently so, yes! I might see if I can nip in on my way home tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:30 (Ref:620986)   #5
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have not got the letter is all I can say. Mind you all our post goes awol. And the nearest Halfords is in Cambridge.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 20:06 (Ref:621027)   #6
joey1
Racer

joey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
on this subject, a 50000 give away all of these will not descend on silverstone but what if they did it would be madness!!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 20:08 (Ref:621029)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
My letter carried the serial number 07149. So I presume from that they've sent out at least 7000 tickets before they got to me! I'd imagine they'd probably get around the 10-12,000 mark before the weekend, so the crowd is set to be reasonably big. Following Donington (CSMA) last year and Brands (CART) this it is good to see!
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:54 (Ref:621231)   #8
Sarah W
Rookie

Sarah W should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got my letter early last week and had several days to collect the ticket so had no problem.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 09:29 (Ref:621543)   #9
the king
Rookie

the king should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a ticket in my pack (that I received today). Do I really have to go into Halfords to collect my ticket?
Old 5 Jun 2003, 10:21 (Ref:621576)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You won't have to if you got it through the post..:confused:

Nobody in their right minds would think that Halfords would send every one out..they want you in their shops!
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:31 (Ref:625022)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what was said today I understand that 11,000 people took up the offer. Now the question is how many of them where regluers at the BTCC, how many where 1st timers and out of the 1st timers how many will return?
Old 8 Jun 2003, 21:36 (Ref:625026)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there was a heck of a lot of cars and not many people...
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:31 (Ref:625077)   #13
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had trouble getting out of Silverstone tonight seemed to be a lot of traffic heading out but not many people adout the circuit.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:45 (Ref:625086)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
TOCA's official figure is 17,000. So 11,000 of them being Halfords tickets is not bad.

As rd said though, how many are first timers? I doubt there'll be many, if you are a regular BTCC fan you are bound to have found out about this offer somehow.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 22:50 (Ref:625093)   #15
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I dont know where u were sat Bella, but at Priory it was jam packed! Cant say I was that impressed with the racing, the BTCC race 1 was a little static and didnt really change that much apart from Matt Neal's honda retiring what, 4 laps from the finish???

On a brighter note though the Porsche supercup race and F Ford were great. The F Renault race looked like it could have been good also, shame it was red flagged. Clio cup was ok too I think. Didnt stick about for the final BTCC race (gf was bored, and I was a little and wanted to miss the traffic). I would come back to a BTCC event - if the tickets were free as they were this time but I woudnt pay £50 for a day out with me and my gf. Especially considering that last may's FIA GT, FIA ETCC, and Renault V6 was only £15 for race day per adult, says a lot if u ask me. And the other races u get with the FIA package for a much smaller price are better. Carrera cup, Renault Clios etc are good, but FIA has Clio V6's and FIA GT and Renault V6 Eurocup to boot.

No matter what people say about the ETCC at least the ETCC can say that more than 1 manufacturer have won races this year. As far as Im aware, and I dont follow BTCC that closely nobody other than Vauxall have won a race this year, right? Vauxall are gonna dominate this season again.

Rant over.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 23:13 (Ref:625113)   #16
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda have won this year actually. And don't tell me you like the BMW/Alfa dominance?

Oh, and it's great at the LG Superweekender meetings - you get to have all the space you want when sitting down, cos no one else is ever there! (That's why it's cheap too - to try and tempt passing by tramps to come and watch the races to boost crowd sizes - in fact, organisers have been rumoured to have offered showering facilities and a cup of tea to vagabonds who'll watch the race... Of course, that's just a rumour...)
Old 8 Jun 2003, 23:56 (Ref:625165)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry but Vauxall have dominated totally since 2000 in the BTCC. All the champions from 2000 onwards have been Vauxall. At least the ETCC is actually changing, BMW are now at the top of the manufactuers table, ok Tarquini is leading the points table but only just. And its pretty certain Giovrandi wont win the title again.

As for the remarks about the LG SRW thats utter **** and u know it. The BTCC had 17,000 people today, and probably 3,000 of them were newbies to the series, most probably wont come back. So Id say on average when Team halfords arent giving away tickets the BTCC gets between 12,000-15,000 per event.

Visit www.fiatouringcars.com and visit the promotion section. The smallest crowd the ETCC has had this year is 18,000 and the biggest 60,000. Thats the differnce between a world class event and a National series.

Oh by the way, u say that the LG SRW was invite tramps because its nice and cheap, well the LG SRW arent the guys begging their teams to give away free tickets, unlike the BTCC lol.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 00:18 (Ref:625182)   #18
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry but Vauxall have dominated totally since 2000 in the BTCC. All the champions from 2000 onwards have been Vauxall.
No. Ford and Menu were champions in 2000.

Quote:
Visit www.fiatouringcars.com and visit the promotion section. The smallest crowd the ETCC has had this year is 18,000 and the biggest 60,000. Thats the differnce between a world class event and a National series.
ETCC isn't 'world class.' F1 is, ETCC isn't. The ETCC ought to have higher attendance figures anyway... I don't see your problem.

Quote:
Oh by the way, u say that the LG SRW was invite tramps because its nice and cheap, well the LG SRW arent the guys begging their teams to give away free tickets, unlike the BTCC lol.
Sponsors and teams give away freebies all the time. The BTCC and the circuits would primarily be concerned at how much revenue was coming in through tickets rather than spectator figures, so it's not as if they are desperately trying to get anyone they can to come and watch.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 09:51 (Ref:625461)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
17,000 - I thought there where a lot more people than that there.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 10:05 (Ref:625478)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Saleen S7R - don't even bother trying to stir up this argument again. If you do you can only expect people to come out with smart remarks...
Old 9 Jun 2003, 10:47 (Ref:625536)   #21
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
and its also very boring. Yawn!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 12:44 (Ref:625716)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
For once I think the official figures were well underestimated. There was well more than 17,000 at Silverstone on Sunday, although for some reason it seemed quieter than usual on Saturday.
Old 9 Jun 2003, 12:55 (Ref:625735)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Halfords tickets were only valid for Sunday. Hence anyone who had one and who would usually go on Saturday was unable to with their ticket and stayed away.

I never did get my freebie ticket out of them but Woodyracing kindly sent me one as he was unable to make it. This, and Spoonerboro's ticket, were given to a family who were queuing up to buy a raceday ticket on Sunday morning. Good old Halfords!
Old 9 Jun 2003, 13:45 (Ref:625815)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there was at least 20,000 cars in the carpark that's for sure

it was nice to see a semi decent crowd at the btcc for once. i'm not sure if smaller tracks like thruxton could handle it now but i'd love to see the same at rockingham. maybe something insane like £5 entry for the rest of this year might bring more people. after all, if you have 10,000 people paying £5 it's more or less the same as 5,000 paying £20 isn't it?
Old 9 Jun 2003, 14:00 (Ref:625840)   #25
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I would agree with you there Bella, but at the end of the day it's all about bums on seats - it will be interesting to see if they repeat the offer either later in the year or next year. It will be interesting to see if the 1st timers return.

Now my parents where with me yesterday, they enjoyed the day, but my dad said the BTCC was boring because the Astra's ran away with it. I told him how much it was for Croft (our local track) and he said there is now way I am paying that much to get in....

Off course I will be there.