Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Jul 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2501885)   #26
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
The results and lap chart are on MST if you are interested - http://www.msttiming.com/eerc/2007/73663.pdf

Best time was 2m 16.298s on lap 2. The rest of Stig's stint was in the 2:18-2:19 range. I forget who went out for the second stint but times were a good 10 secs a lap slower.
If anyone is still interested in this link, it has since changed to: http://www.tsl-timing.com/eerc/2007/73663.pdf

MST has become TSL.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2502236)   #27
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fifth Gear everytime for me, Top Gear gets frustrating with all the "crap" they have on there. Fifth Gear is much better in terms of informative advice and car tests.

A race would only go one way, the Fifth Gear team by some way!!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2502318)   #28
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I know someone who was in the audience when Lewis Hamilton was on Top Gear and he reckoned James May was the only one of the three who came across as not being too full of his own importance. He's a good judge of that sort of thing.
Does it really matter that much, though? Especially Clarkson. The fun is that he is too full of his own self-importance. Hammond is more surprising, although not that much of a surprise really. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nearly everyone on TV is like that these days

Unless of course there's more to it than that...

And still, a third of the presenting team isn't too full of his own self-importance. That's a third more than Fifth Gear
Old 15 Jul 2009, 22:31 (Ref:2502509)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Does it really matter that much, though? Especially Clarkson. The fun is that he is too full of his own self-importance. Hammond is more surprising, although not that much of a surprise really. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Nearly everyone on TV is like that these days
I was thinking about that afterwards. My son (for it was he) hates artificiality, which is why he felt as he did, but the point he missed is that Clarkson and Hammond are there as entertainers, so that's why they are as they are.

By accident I caught just a bit of Fifth Gear the other night. It was dreadful. There is no comparison with Top Gear.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 08:05 (Ref:2502607)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
The whole charm of the Top Gear team is that they're a bunch of childish pillocks, and they know it.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2502624)   #31
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Top Gear is an hour of entertainment,Fifth Gear is a bit of car enthousiasm and good driving.
The two deffinetly don't compare. Allthough TG also airs a lot of nonsense(coolwall),they do manage to get me on the edge of my seat or make me shake my head in complete astonishment and disbelief. Only think of their attack on the northpole or that fantastic rocketlaunch of a Reliant Robin.
Fifth Gear I enjoy because of their more realistic and objective look at cars. And ofcourse the fabulous drifts of Mr.Needle.

And to all who downplay the man,he's done Le Mans eight times of which one finished on a podiumstep,for god's sake....
Old 16 Jul 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2502780)   #32
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
And to all who downplay the man,he's done Le Mans eight times of which one finished on a podiumstep,for god's sake....
His achievements may be quite impressive but it still doesn't alter the fact that he's a total ****** who's wedged firmly up his own backside. Arrogant, smug, patronising, I have no time for the man (oviously I'm sure he's distraught about that )
Old 16 Jul 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2502893)   #33
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its hard to compare the two. Fifth Gear is much more informative in terms of car reviews, where as Top Gear adds more humour and "immaturity" combined with more fun challenges. I must admit i prefer top gear, however i also enjoy Fifth gear.
Old 20 Jul 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2504617)   #34
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
The whole charm of the Top Gear team is that they're a bunch of childish pillocks, and they know it.
I agree, the impression i get too, is, that they genuinely enjoy each others company. Take the £1500 rear wheel drive challenge of last night for example, sure, they are there to make a TV program, but they actually looked like they were enjoying it while they did it.

I read Hammond's book (the one after the accident) and while i thought it a dreary read, the bit about Jez and James not leaving his bedside tells me that they are actually good friends.