Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Jan 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3498517)   #5076
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Any interesting piece of information (or speculation ?) in the latest issue of AutoHebdo magazine.

Porsche are being reported to make the switch to the 8MJ (as most would expect) while still managing to substantially reduce the overall car weight to be below the 870-kg minimum. That would be a substantial improvement over the 2014 car which was said to be overweight.
Can be probably bodywork (like the Audi Ultras), reduced cooling system size, more carbon fibre in the rear, also possible switch in electric motor supplier.
Old 29 Jan 2015, 05:44 (Ref:3498565)   #5077
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of the weight was saved in the new monocoque design.

Lets hope that this will allow for ballast to be correctly placed in order to improve tire-ware.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3501412)   #5078
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3rd 919 drivers:

- Nick Tandy
- Earl Bamber
- Nico Hulkenberg
Old 5 Feb 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3501417)   #5079
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Mako? I did not see Bamber getting that drive.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 15:36 (Ref:3501419)   #5080
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
3rd 919 drivers:

- Nick Tandy
- Earl Bamber
- Nico Hulkenberg
Two Kiwis in Porsche 919s then.

Bamber goes from support act to Hulkenberg, to team-mate in one season.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 15:39 (Ref:3501421)   #5081
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Porsche GTE Drivers:

- Lietz
- Christensen
- Bergmeister (LM)

- Pilet
- Makowiecki
- Wolf Henzler (LM)
Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3501441)   #5082
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
So either Mako didn't get on well in the 919 test, or he really is that good of a GT driver?

Pleased for Bamber, some good news for him following the ignominious incident at Daytona.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:38 (Ref:3501461)   #5083
gaaaazFR
Rookie

gaaaazFR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
So either Mako didn't get on well in the 919 test, or he really is that good of a GT driver?

Pleased for Bamber, some good news for him following the ignominious incident at Daytona.
Good news yeah... not good example, how on earth can you promote so far a "kid" making such a big mistake for his first 24h race under the factory colors??

That doesn't make sense for me, neither on a sporing aspect, nor on a management one... I can scrap my head looking for a decent argument I only find one : they wanted to be sure he's not going to be in one of the Factory GT's to have a chance winning in GTE Pro!
Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3501473)   #5084
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaaaazFR View Post
Good news yeah... not good example, how on earth can you promote so far a "kid" making such a big mistake for his first 24h race under the factory colors??

That doesn't make sense for me, neither on a sporing aspect, nor on a management one... I can scrap my head looking for a decent argument I only find one : they wanted to be sure he's not going to be in one of the Factory GT's to have a chance winning in GTE Pro!
I'm pretty sure the decision to put Bamber in a 919 was made far in advance of the smash. And it makes just as little sense to write a driver off for making one mistake even if it was massive.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3501478)   #5085
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Told you no Sutil. Bamber should be fine, he has more space on the wec tracks
Old 5 Feb 2015, 16:55 (Ref:3501480)   #5086
gaaaazFR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
I'm pretty sure the decision to put Bamber in a 919 was made far in advance of the smash. And it makes just as little sense to write a driver off for making one mistake even if it was massive.
I don't see how the choice could have been maybe much earlier since the only test he've done with the 919 was a few days before Daytona 24.

For me that looks like a "default" choice, but a bad one in two ways :

- sporting target is win LM24, having such a line-up in the third LMP1 is almost a guaranty this car is never going to finish the race (Hulkenberg discovers LM24, Tandy is taking many risks all the time, and Bamber... with his "supercup style).

- On a management point of view : you have 7/8 others GT drivers doing their job amazingly well, really fast, implicated, not doing mistakes since many years and the only reward they have is seeing a "young one" going before them in the line.
What message do you send them as a management? I you compare to a "normal" company (which Porsche as every team is), that's a Huge error of management.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3501508)   #5087
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh my! What are they thinking? Tandy and bamber in the same car? Wow just wow.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 18:21 (Ref:3501511)   #5088
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I too am surprised. As posted earlier in this thread, Bamber is the real deal.
Porsche does not make ad-hoc decisions. If they feel that Bamber is up to the job, then I'm sure it is based on careful performance data analysis.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 21:16 (Ref:3501593)   #5089
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sad to see that Michael Christensen will sit this years Le Mans out.
2015 will be the first year since 1996 that a dane can't win Le Mans!
Old 5 Feb 2015, 21:40 (Ref:3501603)   #5090
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Sad to see that Michael Christensen will sit this years Le Mans out.
2015 will be the first year since 1996 that a dane can't win Le Mans!
Um, he won't. He'll be in the #91...
Old 5 Feb 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3501615)   #5091
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On another note, interesting to see Wolf Henzler back in the factory effort.

I'm sure Porsche will be just dandy with Tandy and co. They still have 2 other cars. Audi did the same thing. Fill the third car with rookies.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3501650)   #5092
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Um, he won't. He'll be in the #91...
I meant he will won't be in the 919, as many (mostly me) predicted he would.

And it's very unlikely that a GTE will take the overall victory.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 00:08 (Ref:3501699)   #5093
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
- sporting target is win LM24, having such a line-up in the third LMP1 is almost a guaranty this car is never going to finish the race (Hulkenberg discovers LM24, Tandy is taking many risks all the time, and Bamber... with his "supercup style).
Given you've never seen any of these boys drive a prototype all you have are baseless assumptions.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3501881)   #5094
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I meant he will won't be in the 919, as many (mostly me) predicted he would.

And it's very unlikely that a GTE will take the overall victory.
That would be insane but I'd give my left ear to see that happen.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 13:47 (Ref:3501938)   #5095
gaaaazFR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Given you've never seen any of these boys drive a prototype all you have are baseless assumptions.
Sure a guy taking a lot of risks and making contacts (big or not) in GTE is going to suddenly change in a "safe" driver because is moving to LMP... that make a lot of sense
More over they'll have to fight with guys more experienced, quicker and not "soft" on track, I just say their limit may be too close for that kind of challenge.

Anyway without giving my sources I can already say that one of those 2 boys is able to push very hard in an LMP, but taking many risks.

But we'll see that in june, when someone will ask them to slow down because their in slick on the wet and quicker than anyone else
Old 6 Feb 2015, 15:29 (Ref:3501958)   #5096
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sure a guy taking a lot of risks and making contacts (big or not) in GTE is going to suddenly change in a "safe" driver because is moving to LMP... that make a lot of sense
More over they'll have to fight with guys more experienced, quicker and not "soft" on track, I just say their limit may be too close for that kind of challenge.

Anyway without giving my sources I can already say that one of those 2 boys is able to push very hard in an LMP, but taking many risks.

But we'll see that in june, when someone will ask them to slow down because their in slick on the wet and quicker than anyone else
Sounds like Porsche may have made a catastrophic mistake in failing to seek your advice before going with Bamber and Tandy.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 16:46 (Ref:3501979)   #5097
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm disappointed Mako didn't get the seat, I rate him much higher than Bamber or Tandy.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 17:07 (Ref:3501988)   #5098
gaaaazFR
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Sounds like Porsche may have made a catastrophic mistake in failing to seek your advice before going with Bamber and Tandy.
I don't give advice, just my point of view.
But I'm amazed so many people here find this line-up "extraordinary"... again we'll see in June if Porsche has made a mistake or if I'm wrong.
Old 6 Feb 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3501990)   #5099
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
I'm disappointed Mako didn't get the seat, I rate him much higher than Bamber or Tandy.

It might be that Porsche might be unwilling to dilute their chance of a GTLM class win with a car they sell in favor of a third halo prototype so they take a flyer on the third car, not the lead GTLM car. Valid IMHO.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 05:02 (Ref:3503157)   #5100
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Porsche in Bahrain for testing http://twitter.com/PorscheRaces/stat...32928483696640