Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1940125)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Taku's penalty for France - fair or not?

It would seem, according to James Allen at least, that, as Takuma Sato spun off before he could take his penalty for overtaking under yellows (although he claim's he was being overtaken instead) that he will recieve a ten place grid drop in France.

I have to say, this seems entirely unfair to me, and something i'm sure hasn't happened before. I wonder if SA will appeal?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1940126)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Seems a tad harsh. You'd think the DNF was bad enough in itself.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:19 (Ref:1940130)   #3
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If that's true it's ridiculous.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1940131)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty sure this has never happened before, but he did (seemingly) infringe the rules and needs to be punished somehow.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1940133)   #5
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
I have to say, this seems entirely unfair to me, and something i'm sure hasn't happened before. I wonder if SA will appeal?
I'm pretty sure it has, at least in lower formulae. It's standard, otherwise he wouldn't be punished for what is, after all, a very serious infraction of the rules.

Although SAguri may appeal if Taku was right and he was being overtaken at the time...although given that Button was said to be overtaking him that's not likely.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1940138)   #6
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in the fia gt race at zuhai a car was given drive through penalty for an infringment but ran out of fuel before he could complete the penalty. therefore at the next round he had to do the drive through.

seems very harsh on taku but, rules are rules
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1940140)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's definitely on the harsh side. Surely not finishing the race is penalty enough?

Taku definitely likes to run the gambit of emotions doesn't he? After Canada I doubt he was expecting to get slapped down so firmly by the powers that be.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1940144)   #8
lord ponsonby
Rookie

England
Plymouth,Devon
lord ponsonby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
overtaking under yellows......he deserves all he got and more.
that's my thoughts on the subject and it would apply to all drivers in all races.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:04 (Ref:1940168)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the DNF wasn't bad enough how about just take away his quickest quali lap for France would of been fair IMO, but if he did overtake under yellow he did deserve the penalty as it is adding more danger to a potentially already dangerous situation.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1940223)   #10
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
would think the DNF would be penalty enough since wouldn't the penalty be a drive-through usually? basically he might as well skip qualifying and use the time as another practice since he will most likely not be inside the top12 anyway
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1940231)   #11
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So he is going to start from the back then. He might as well just throw qualifying

I feel sorry for the guy
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:54 (Ref:1940235)   #12
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think what Taku was suggesting was that Jens overtook him down the straight, but then saw the yellows and let Taku back past as they got to the corner. To the observers at the corner that would have looked like Taku had overtaken Jens on the brakes and disobeyed the flags. If that was actually the case I think they would have a good case for an appeal.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:55 (Ref:1940237)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
It's definitely on the harsh side. Surely not finishing the race is penalty enough?
OK, here's a hypothetical.

I'm a German driver (for the sake of argument). I go into the penultimate GP of the season nine points ahead of my British (say) rival.

I'm bouncing along in front, about to clinch the title, but suddenly I get notification that I'm being given a drive-thru because of (say) excessive chopping. Which is going to put me seventeenth.

So I merely wait for a slow corner, go wide, wait for my rival to dive down the inside, and drive into him, sending my car almost into two wheel mode briefly before crashing down, but having damaged my rival's suspension.

Have I been penalized for the chopping?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1940241)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Your point being?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 21:07 (Ref:1940252)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
I forget.

In the meantime, here is some music.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1940261)   #16
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that he should have some kind of penalty, but 10 places on the grid is way too much. Maybe a drive through during next race to be effected before his first pit stop or in the first 10 laps, but 10 grid down is a bit too much I think.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 21:50 (Ref:1940286)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Considering that he would probably qualify in the bottom 10 anyway, a grid penalty is much less than a drive-through.

Maybe a fine would be fairest in this situation?
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:51 (Ref:1940336)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I think what Taku was suggesting was that Jens overtook him down the straight, but then saw the yellows and let Taku back past as they got to the corner. To the observers at the corner that would have looked like Taku had overtaken Jens on the brakes and disobeyed the flags. If that was actually the case I think they would have a good case for an appeal.
This seems the most likely explanation. From what I know of Taku, he's not a liar.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 22:59 (Ref:1940341)   #19
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Back in '02 Massa was given the 10 position penalty for the next race. Sauber asked if they could let him sit out the race instead - FIA said yes since effectively it was just like turning the grid drop into a one race ban, so they ran Frentzen instead (That next race being the US Grand Prix).

So this penalty has happened before, though being carried over because he didn't take it is rare in F1...seen it loads of times elsewhere though.

As for fair - well, the rules are pretty cut and dry. If Taku's telling the truth, fine. If it happened as officials have described, penalise! Sure the cameras will tell.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1940496)   #20
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched the video again and I think it happened just as Taku himself suggests.

In any case I don't think it is fair penalty even if he had actually overtaken someone, not like it happened. Btw other STR overtook one driver similarly as Jenson but STR driver stayed ahead, so no penalty.

I wonder what would have happened if DC had jumped the start for example in this race. Would he have 10-place penalty in France in that case?
Old 18 Jun 2007, 06:42 (Ref:1940497)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Logically, if there was to be consistency, then he would have to face some kind of penalty (not necessarily the same one, as the regulations leave that open to the stewards).
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:04 (Ref:1940505)   #22
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are two issues here :

o Does Taku deserve a penalty ?
This very much depends on the course of events themselves on the overtake, but if things did happen as Taku says, then he has a very good case for appeal. For example, if a car stops or dramatically slows and the proceeding car overtakes under yellow, then there's just cause for mitigating circumstances. That seems pretty straightforward to sort out.

o What are the rules for penalty application ?
There must be something written in the FIA rulebook which says that the penalty for overtake under yellow is a stop/go, however if the car retires before the stop/go can be taken, the penalty becomes a 10 grid drop on the following race. If that's not written in the rule book, then it would appear that the organizers have deployed a form of double-jeapordy on the spur of the moment... and that's wrong.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:34 (Ref:1940522)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 Sporting Regulations
15.3 Any decision or communication concerning a particular competitor should be given to him within twenty five minutes of such decision, and receipt must be acknowledged.

16.3 The stewards may impose any one of three penalties on any driver involved in an Incident:

a) A drive-through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re-join the race without stopping;
b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re-join the race.
c) a drop of ten grid positions at the driver’s next Event.

16.4 Should the stewards decide to impose either of the penalties under Article 16.3a) or b), the following procedure will be followed:

a) The stewards will give written notification of the penalty which has been imposed to an official of the team concerned and will ensure that this information is also displayed on the timing monitors.
b) From the time the stewards’ decision is notified on the timing monitors the relevant driver may cover no more than three complete laps before entering the pit lane and, in the case of a penalty under Article 16.3b), proceeding to his garage where he shall remain for the period of the time penalty.

However, unless the driver was already in the pit entry for the purpose of serving his penalty, he may not carry out the penalty after the Safety Car has been deployed. Any laps carried out behind the Safety Car will be added to the three lap maximum.

Whilst a car is stationary in the pit lane as a result of incurring a time penalty it may not be worked on. However, if the engine stops it may be started after the time penalty period has elapsed.

c) When the time penalty period has elapsed the driver may rejoin the race.
d) Any breach or failure to comply with Articles 16.4b) or c) may result in the car being excluded.
I am trying to remember, but had Sato actually officially received/acknowledged the initial penalty before spinning out?

The thing I am wondering is whether the regulations could be said to give the stewards the power to give a "replacement" penalty. I don't see that in the regulations. Having said that, I have not read through every article. It is entirely probable that this is covered in another one. The quoted articles are just the most obvious ones I have initially come across.

I would've thought there would be an applicable catch-all article somewhere that would enable the stewards to penalise as they see fit, though...in order to cover the unexpected. I have not seen it initially though...perhaps I have imagined it from the past.

Last edited by Dutton; 18 Jun 2007 at 07:40.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:47 (Ref:1940531)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007 Sporting Regulations
15.3 Any decision or communication concerning a particular competitor should be given to him within twenty five minutes of such decision, and receipt must be acknowledged.
I forgot to comment on this before.

Would being informed of the "substituted" penalty be counted 25 minutes from that of the initial decision, or would it start a new "countdown" as of when the stewards made the decision to replace the intial penalty?

In any case, does anyone have particular note of the time intervals in question?

I'm still looking for an article that permits the stewards to substitute penalties.
Old 18 Jun 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1940535)   #25
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The penalty seems harsh IMO, had he finished the race i suppose he wouldve recieved a drive through. 10 place grid drop though is over zealous, something like a time penalty from his finishing position in France would be better IMO. Thats if they insist on keeping the penalty.