Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:26 (Ref:2057343)   #1326
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
I am not concerned about this at all...There will be nothing wrong with the 2008 McLaren like there was nothing wrong with this years car..
I hope you're right.

But if it looks like a duck.............
Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:35 (Ref:2057351)   #1327
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The question one has to ask is can McLaren build a championship winning race car..I would say "yes they can" and have proven that many times over...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:55 (Ref:2057356)   #1328
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
The question one has to ask is can McLaren build a championship winning race car..I would say "yes they can" and have proven that many times over...
Indeed.

However,the real question is: Does the new McLaren contain any ideas that were found in the 780 page document that was (and maybe still is) in the teams possession?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 01:00 (Ref:2057358)   #1329
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
My intuition tells me it does not, and that they don't...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 07:27 (Ref:2057464)   #1330
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Indeed.

However,the real question is: Does the new McLaren contain any ideas that were found in the 780 page document that was (and maybe still is) in the teams possession?
More than likely it will. Who knows what is in that document, however we do know that F1 teams are always pushing the envelope and try new ideas all the time, even copying ideas seen on other cars.

Perhaps the FIA should give McLaren a new copy of the dossier so that they can be sure they don't use any of the ideas in it.

This is all going to end in tears...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 08:12 (Ref:2057482)   #1331
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure Ferrari have seen something on a McLaren in the past and thought 'I wonder if we could do something similar'. Certain ideas, if tested succesful by a team, will spread to others (Just look at all the extra winglets etc. on current designs).
If McLaren develop some form of wheel cover this year, they will obviously be accused of copying Ferrari's idea, would Williams, for example, be allowed to develop a wheel cover?
What if McLaren decided to develop a longer wheelbase car, having seen on track the success of long wheelbase cars and studied next years circuits. Would this be Ferrari's design?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 08:55 (Ref:2057513)   #1332
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Anyone with half a brain or a slight insight into F1 can see how unworkable it is, or what a joke it is. However the FIA continue because they want to show how fair F1 is. Presumably their target audience are only the people who have a passing interest in the sport. Great. Ditched again.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2057520)   #1333
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
I'm sure Ferrari have seen something on a McLaren in the past and thought 'I wonder if we could do something similar'.
Yes. Like beryllium parts and twin brake pedals. Then they find they can't do it so they get it banned.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 09:08 (Ref:2057526)   #1334
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Yes. Like beryllium parts and twin brake pedals. Then they find they can't do it so they get it banned.
Perhaps that's what McLaren need to do. Get everything that was in the dossier banned then they can't be accused of using it.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 11:39 (Ref:2060043)   #1335
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They got the floor banned for a start, good job..and instigated the demise of the mass dampers. So don't worry, Mclaren isn't new to this game of getting the FIA to do a dirty job

As for the twin brake pedal, Ferrari weren't the only ones wanting to ban it, once the journalist photographer revealed pictures taken inside the footwell to the public.

Frankly, many are exaggerating what FIA will do.... Probably all we'd ever read is a headline "FIA set to check Mclaren's car after Christmas", followed by "FIA gives Mclaren the green light"...and case closed.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:44 (Ref:2060182)   #1336
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Frankly, many are exaggerating what FIA will do.... Probably all we'd ever read is a headline "FIA set to check Mclaren's car after Christmas", followed by "FIA gives Mclaren the green light"...and case closed.
Followed by Ferrari taking McLaren to court for using red in their car colour scheme.......
Old 5 Nov 2007, 13:57 (Ref:2060193)   #1337
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What happens if Ferrari build a car that looks like this years McLaren
Old 5 Nov 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2060347)   #1338
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Mclaren will be fined because Ferrari thought of the look first.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 16:10 (Ref:2060366)   #1339
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
McLaren go to court to get the design declared illegal.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2060395)   #1340
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Surely the trick is to build a car that looks like next years McLaren.
Old 5 Nov 2007, 16:44 (Ref:2060403)   #1341
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Surely the trick is to build a car that looks like next years McLaren.
I kind of meant a car with the Newcastle Swing Bridge as a front wing
Old 5 Nov 2007, 16:58 (Ref:2060415)   #1342
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I kind of meant a car with the Newcastle Swing Bridge as a front wing
Won't all the cars have one of those next year?

I understand that Honda are going to use a car that at the beginning of a race will be 10 kgs lighter than at the end of a race.This is because they are building a car from living organisms that actually multiply as it is being driven along.You heard it here first!
Old 5 Nov 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2060418)   #1343
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Won't all the cars have one of those next year?

I understand that Honda are going to use a car that at the beginning of a race will be 10 kgs lighter than at the end of a race.This is because they are building a car from living organisms that actually multiply as it is being driven along.You heard it here first!
Imagine the smell from the exhaust
Old 6 Nov 2007, 14:44 (Ref:2061244)   #1344
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
New meaning to the term "old faaaarrrttt"
Old 6 Nov 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2061247)   #1345
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Avoiding the need to 'pick up rubber' on their in lap then!
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:07 (Ref:2062766)   #1346
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not that I ever look at the Daily Mail website for anything other than the sheer hilarity of it all, but it seems the FIA have started their investigation of the 2008 McLaren:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...cc=picbox&ct=5

Well, we'll see in less than a month to see if the MP4-23 has fallen foul of Max's dislike of "ideas" on the car!
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2062779)   #1347
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
That's a "DailyMail" article.I'm surprised to have read that no one was shot,stabbed or beaten to death during the incident.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:41 (Ref:2062795)   #1348
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
No murders, but house prices will plummet as a result of the investigation.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2062808)   #1349
Gt_R
Veteran

The article made it sound as if its a major drug bust! Raided! holly.. they may as well add that Max is sniffing around like man's best friend..
Old 8 Nov 2007, 09:51 (Ref:2062809)   #1350
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suspect if the Daily Mail are onto it, Max's investigation will uncover links between McLaren and Princess Diana's death (she was in a Mercedes after all). There's also the rumour that Dennis paid illegal immigrants £1.50 a day to dig the moat... er, lake... at Woking.