Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 6 Jan 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2100763)   #1
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Motormouth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davrian Spaceframe Imp Info

I am chasing a Davrian Imp and am looking for some information on these cars. Anyone know how many were built, or more importantly, where they are now?! I spoke to David Hall here in Ireland yesterday and he told me how he and John Homewood comissioned the first two cars in '76 but many more were built after that. Hall's car was sold to Vivan Candy who raced it for 2 years before selling it. In fact, Hall brought the car to Homewood's, and they sold the car for him, circa ''80/81. The last Hall heard of his car, some guy in London had it and wasn't adverse to driving it on the road.

While I'm at it, I have a Rawlson Imp (full spaceframe). Anyone know how many of these were built and when??
Old 6 Jan 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2100803)   #2
ian.stewart
Racer

England
Norf of Watford, just
ian.stewart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you done a search on Davrian imps on here, I think there is a list of the cars, We had what iI think was the first one built, Originally driven by Simon Sable, I even think there is some film of that car on this site, Unfortunatly this car was written off when the driver at the time [Terry Mitchell] tried to drive thru Mabbs Bank at Lydden in the late 70s and lost!!!!
Ian
Old 6 Jan 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2100851)   #3
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Hi Ian, thanks for that, just did a search, had seen most of it but not all. Some amount of knowledge on this site, that's for sure.
David Hall did tell me that he had the lap record at Brands for a couple of years so perhaps his was the one that was later written off after homewood sold it for him?
I still didn't find a thread with a list of Davrian Imps, though, did I miss it?
Old 6 Jan 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2100868)   #4
jaysalv
Veteran

England
romford essex
jaysalv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i know where there are 3 davrians 2 mk4s and a imp look at my site for pics or pm for more imfo
Old 8 Jan 2008, 15:37 (Ref:2101922)   #5
MATTinSURREY
Rookie

MATTinSURREY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Motormouth, I'm a tad confused by your posting title "Davrian Spaceframe Imp Info". From memory, Davrian only made fibreglass monocoque cars, not spaceframes. His Davrian Imp's were entirely fibreglass, I know this because I used to own one. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Old 8 Jan 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2102067)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to race with Pat Longhurst who was I suppose the "works" driver. Unfortunately he died some while back. But his partner in crime Ron Parker may have some info if he can be traced via HRSR.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jan 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2102190)   #7
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon
Just sent you an e-mail with Ron's last known address, etc.
Peter
Old 8 Jan 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2102238)   #8
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try searching for the 'New Davrian Register' and the impclub as between the two (especially imp club) they should be able to help.

I think the other person to try is Tim Duffee who runs Darrian cars, but also has alot of info about Davrians.
Old 9 Jan 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2102288)   #9
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely, on the Imp club website there are some spaceframe Imp owners
Old 10 Jan 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2103293)   #10
mcullen
Rookie

Ireland
Carlow, Ireland
mcullen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motormouth,
MATTinSURREY is correct, although Davrian did make a fiberglass Imp shell which could be fitted to a spaceframe imp, a proper Davrian Imp saloon is a fibreglass monocoque car based on a shortened Davrian mk7 chassis. Davrian only produced around 15 monocoque Saloons, 2 of which were mid-engined Ford BDA, and the rest were Imp powered. The one I race in Mondello was the 8th saloon built.
As suggested above, if you contact John Rawlins through the New Davrian Register, he has contact details for a lot of the Davrian owners.
Also the book "from Davrian to Darrian" has a lot of information on these Saloons.
Maurice
Old 10 Jan 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2103804)   #11
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcullen
Motormouth,
MATTinSURREY is correct, although Davrian did make a fiberglass Imp shell which could be fitted to a spaceframe imp, a proper Davrian Imp saloon is a fibreglass monocoque car based on a shortened Davrian mk7 chassis. Davrian only produced around 15 monocoque Saloons, 2 of which were mid-engined Ford BDA, and the rest were Imp powered. The one I race in Mondello was the 8th saloon built.
As suggested above, if you contact John Rawlins through the New Davrian Register, he has contact details for a lot of the Davrian owners.
Also the book "from Davrian to Darrian" has a lot of information on these Saloons.
Maurice
Sorry guys, have been offline for a coupla days. Thanks for all the information. I have a Rawlson (spaceframe) Imp and assumed Davrian Imps were the same. I will mail John Rawlins and see if he can help.

Last edited by Motormouth; 10 Jan 2008 at 22:22.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 15:02 (Ref:2109907)   #12
Motormouth
Racer

Ireland
Hi again guys. Well I have managed to trace an purchase a Davrian Imp eventually.
It is in France but I hope to have it in a few weeks and will race it in Irish Historics this year. It has a full race 998, jack Knight box, the lot.
Having read some of the above, I have joined The Imp Club, who have an excellent forum, contacted the Davrian Register and bought the "Davrian to Darrian" book on Ebay!!

@Ian, the Imp, you had, which was destroyed, any idea what colour was it originally? Apparently David Hall and John Homewood had the first two Davrian Imp Saloons built (in '76)and Hall's eventually went back to Homewood to be sold, circa '81) as I said. Hall's had a 1212cc Carter engine and Hewland Box and was white, Homewoods was yellow originally. Hall's car still had flat "sidepods" (for want of a better word!) when it left Ireland, but Homewood's (and most others,) seems to have gradually developed various bumps and curves to stop tyres wearing through!!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2129898)   #13
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
there whee some spaceframe Imps built with davrian Imp body fitted
Fred Hendy raced 1 in 850 cc class
i recall 2 cars running with the Davrian bodywork
the homewood davrian Imp was crashed at Lydden by Mitchell