Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Jul 2009, 05:03 (Ref:2494265)   #26
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably the F5000 days, attended plenty of races there in the 70s for the big banger open wheelers.

Have attended plenty of V8 Supercar Rounds there in recent years and enjoyed the track but I must be one of the odd ones that prefer Eastern Creek, probably because of the better facilities and fast corners.

But it would be nice if Mr Perich could spend some of the money he is probably making from property development on a replacement circuit.

Sydney needs it but the V8 people have probably made it a bit harder and a bit less viable with the silly Homebush event.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:43 (Ref:2494358)   #27
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit View Post

In 1988 the World Superbike Championship was created and included a round at OP. A young relatively unknown Qld bloke called Mick Doohan absolutely smashed the field in both races. In probably the most dominant rides I have ever seen, he lapped the majority of a field made up of the best Superbike riders in the world at that time. It was those rides that made the Japanese factories sit up and take notice and Doohan found himself in the World Championship a few months later.

I was there, wasn't Merkel the hotshot who was expected to win but got a lesson from Doohan and went home with his tail between his legs? I was stunned to see how fast they popped up over the crest of the dogleg and how savagely the forks were compressed under breaking just a second or so later as they went in to Momo Speedline. The polystyrene pads seemed so inadequate against the wall for protection.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2494410)   #28
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my first visits was watching the Pepsi enduro and meeting my hero Dick Johnson and getting a photo taken with him after I snuck into the pits. Then watching the race and seeing the mustang in the lead going for a win and the wheel falling off.

I went to the last Castrol 6hr bike race there and got Wayne Gardners autograph on one of his helmet brochures, which I still have, before he was really famous. I can still remember the sound of the moto guzzi in last place comeing over the dogleg every lap.

Watching the 2lt super tourers at night time, what an excellent race. Nascars on the short circuit under lights in the Valvoline corporate tent on pit straight. Sitting at suttons watching a truck coming straight at me brakes locked and never going to stop. That was a huge hit. Another classic was Wayne driving the 300zx pace car at the trucks pulling off into the infield and spinning on the wet grass

The best memory is of my very first race meeting in 1992 in my rx3 street sedan. I can still remember my first laps of private practice on the friday with cars blasting past in every direction. The first race start with my left leg shaking like crazy holding the clutch down.

The worst memory is probably last years IP nationals after the best preparation of my car, we had everything go wrong that possibly could.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Jul 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2494435)   #29
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
I was there, wasn't Merkel the hotshot who was expected to win but got a lesson from Doohan and went home with his tail between his legs? I was stunned to see how fast they popped up over the crest of the dogleg and how savagely the forks were compressed under breaking just a second or so later as they went in to Momo Speedline. The polystyrene pads seemed so inadequate against the wall for protection.
Yes Fred Merkle was favourite on form along with David Tardozzi the series leader who was lapped in both races by Doohan. I think the thinly padded concrete walls was the downfall of the european riders. They couldn't find the confidence to push to the limit whereas the aussies didn't know any different.

BTW Doohan broke the Oran Park lap record 39 times on that one day. That in itself must be some sort of record.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2494577)   #30
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oran Park is as rich in bike history as it is in car history.

John Kocinski graced the circuit with his precence in the Castrol 6hr, and as mentioned the Oran Park World Superbike rounds seem unbelievable these days...

Wayne Gardner on his works Rothmans Honda, beaten to the flag by Mal Campbell on a 3-cylinder Honda during the 1985 Swann Series must be a track highlight

I first went to Oran Park in 1988 as a youngster, for saturday practice for the ATCC. We went most years, i remember after qualifying we'd always head to the Shell tent where the press conferences would take place.

One of the saddest bits will be when the 'Pavilion' on pit straight gets pulled down
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2494695)   #31
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or as was told to me the other day - working between the fence and track on BP corner and having Moffat's Brut 33 Mustang hit hard enough to stop it dead in its tracks.

Or having a truck roll on its last lap near the dog-leg after the chequered flag had been given to the winners and then causing an immediate red flag which caused an uproar because the winner had only become the leader on that last lap and, with the red flag, results were taken back a lap! The way it was stated to me 'there really isn;t much difference between a truck driver on the road and a racing truck driver'
Old 2 Jul 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2494906)   #32
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post

Wayne Gardner on his works Rothmans Honda, beaten to the flag by Mal Campbell on a 3-cylinder Honda during the 1985 Swann Series must be a track highlight
n
I was there to see that too. There was some fantastic racing that day that lives large in my memory.

Personally I'm trying not to think about life without Oran Park. It's been such a big part of my life from watching Dad race there when I was a baby, racing there myself and watching my brother take the Production Sports lap record earlier this year. I'm looking forward to our last race there later in the year and hoping for rain so Tim's record will stand forever.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 04:55 (Ref:2498094)   #33
Cal Ballinger
Rookie

Cal Ballinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've still got the Prod Sports 1hr to look forward to on Oct 31st/Nov 1st.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 05:12 (Ref:2498103)   #34
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always a very sad day to see any race track get closed, you think about all the blood, sweat and tears that the old guys would have put into building the thing all those years ago.

Always loved the flip flop and the bridge.

The memories of Oran Park include the truck racing and that big prang and fire on the start of a V8 race a few years ago!

Thanks for the memories Oran Park.
Old 9 Jul 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2498183)   #35
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My memories of the track include the countless years spent watching the ATCC with my Dad (who used to be a volunteer fire marshal, Oran Park was always the round he didn't work). Being there for Brocky's final ATCC race was truly spectacular and something I can still remember even if it was nearly 12 years ago and I was only 7.

Being there last year was honestly the most awesome experience I have ever had at an ATCC race, excluding Bathurst. I travelled from Adelaide just for that event. I loved every minute of it, and had fun chatting to various drivers/team officials I met in my travels!

Thank you for so many years of memories, it just won't be the same the next time I'm in Sydney and not being able to hear the sound of cars going round the track from my house.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 25 Jul 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2507482)   #36
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
The signs at the entry gate on The Northern Rd. have already gone missing, maybe someone got a good souvenir?
Old 25 Jul 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2507487)   #37
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the meeting on the 12th December, is as it is the very last one that will be held there. Classes or something.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2507549)   #38
Chubby1
Rookie

Chubby1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The signs at the entry gate on The Northern Rd. have already gone missing, maybe someone got a good souvenir?

Yeah I was at Oran Park last weekend for the V8 drive and ride day which was fantastic by the way and almost missed the turn off from The Northern Road because the sign is missing. Its a shame to see the place in less then perfect condition these days. Its still sacred and the atmosphere is there even without a race meeting. It was an honor and a privilege to drive and do hot laps around the place . Its sad to think I might never go back there again.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 01:01 (Ref:2508121)   #39
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toy Cars

Quote:
I have arranged for the Police to search your garage David

The most significant sign at OP is [UNFORTUNATLEY] this one:

Old 26 Jul 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2508122)   #40
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the references to the name, and the little tykes in the push racecars, if you have a block of land next to a race track,. it might get a bit noisy during operating hours. Same Same for airports!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2508123)   #41
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the references to the name, and the little tykes in the push racecars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmdog View Post
I love the references to the name, and the little tykes in the push racecars, if you have a block of land next to a race track,. it might get a bit noisy during operating hours. Same Same for airports!
Yeah...I used to get angry at crass marketeering...like what Microsoft has foisted on the long suffering computer users of the world with the seemingly blind obediance from governments around the globe and of course, what BMW did for the Classic Mini....but I have moved on
Old 26 Jul 2009, 05:24 (Ref:2508158)   #42
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
I have arranged for the Police to search your garage David

The most significant sign at OP is [UNFORTUNATLEY] this one:

Don't bother 275, I was planning on waiting till the last weekend, but I've clearly been beaten to it again!!
Old 26 Jul 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2508160)   #43
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought I might take a blue bin, they have been there since the place opened.You can date each years touring car round by the layers of paint.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 26 Jul 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2508180)   #44
glenn_a
Racer

Australia
not far from the paddocks of Oran Park
glenn_a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sign was stolen a little while ago now. Either early this year or very late last year. Got a pretty big run in the local paper, not much else happens around the are.
Old 26 Jul 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2508196)   #45
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Gees, I', observant, I've only been past there 45 million times this year. I might try keeping my eyes open when I'm driving in future.
Thanks Glenn.
Old 27 Jul 2009, 09:57 (Ref:2508967)   #46
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was at a bike meeting the earlier this month and some smart p***k had stolen the pit lane hooter, so they had to use a whistle which was pretty crap.

Jeff

Old 29 Aug 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2530194)   #47
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
linky

Quote:
Oran Park's race is run: track will give way to town
August 29, 2009 - 12:04AM

IT HELPED kick-start Peter Brock's career, prepared Sir Jack Brabham and Sir Stirling Moss for Bathurst and created one of Sydney's longest traffic ja

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!