Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Aug 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2521276)   #1
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australian Story August 17

He was a touring car driver and a sports car driver but is better known for other racing exploits.

One of the most accomplished Australians of the 20th century, Sir Jack Brabham. I'm sure you'll all tune in to this consistently excellent Australian documentary series next week.
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:57 (Ref:2521316)   #2
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reminder
Old 14 Aug 2009, 23:25 (Ref:2521629)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
thanks for the tip Falcadore , will check it out
Old 15 Aug 2009, 05:00 (Ref:2521682)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers for thew tip, will definatly tune in.
Old 16 Aug 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2522236)   #5
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am looking forward to this.
Sir Jack is one of Australia's greatest ever sporting ambassadors and it is long overdue that his illustrious career is updated and showcased. The man is a legend.
It is also worth looking at his episode on ABC TV Talking Heads about a year or so ago. I think it can be viewed on the ABC website with a bit of searching.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2522865)   #6
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... ...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 17 Aug 2009, 11:13 (Ref:2522900)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a nice story... Sir Jack was obviously ahead of his time, with the courage, strength, intelligence and class to carry himself across the world then, and now.

He does look frail though.. so many days a week being hooked up to dialysis but he doesnt seem to complain about his lot in life

Not sure why they didnt celebrate the 50 years since his WDC win though at the AGP... perhaps the organisers figured they couldnt turn a profit from it
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:44 (Ref:2522953)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A true all Australian Legend. When will we realise exactlly what we have here, as said by Phil Kerr on the show tonight.
Old 17 Aug 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2523319)   #9
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
He does look frail though..(
But is still sharp as ever and hasn't lost his sense of humour either.

Was interesting trying to explain who Jack was to a 9yo and what he did in the sport I'm making sure said 9yo enjoys watching.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2523531)   #10
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you missed this and want to watch it it's on ABC catch up...

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/catchup

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2523562)   #11
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...on again tonight at 8pm (yes in about 15 min) on ABC2 for those that missed it.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2523595)   #12
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was a brilliant episode - Jack is a living treasure & it is hard to believe why nothing happened at Albert Park . Would love to ask Mr Walker why his "ar$e kissing" corporation showed no respect to Jack...

Hopefully Alan Jones & V8 Supercar can put something on at the Gold Coast "Super GP" event...
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2523618)   #13
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been aware of the exploits of Sir Jack thanks to my father and grandfather, and knew a reasonable amount of information about him - and of course, admired he was/is the only driver/manufacturer to win.

But, what I was not aware of is how amazingly humble and gracious the man is. The man is not only a living treasure, but a true and sincere role model for all aspiring young Australians (yes, not just drivers!!).

While I can understand that in this day and age of the commercial monster that Bernard may not have wanted to sacrifice time for his BMW paid-for "Time test" at the AGP, I truly hope that at one of our larger events, we can honour the man. Be it A1GP, Bathurst (how good would it be to see a replica BT19 or Cooper zip around!!!!) or even maybe the Muscle Car Masters,the man and event deserves to be marked!

Once again, Australian Story has given an amazing background to a truly remarkable story - Well done, ABC!
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2523632)   #14
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Worth my 8 cents !
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:05 (Ref:2524085)   #15
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And he was still a winning Grand Prix driver at 44 years old.That Albert Park outfit should lower their heads in shame as to the lack of coverage Sir Jack got this year.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2524093)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
I've always been aware of the exploits of Sir Jack thanks to my father and grandfather, and knew a reasonable amount of information about him - and of course, admired he was/is the only driver/manufacturer to win.

But, what I was not aware of is how amazingly humble and gracious the man is. The man is not only a living treasure, but a true and sincere role model for all aspiring young Australians (yes, not just drivers!!).

While I can understand that in this day and age of the commercial monster that Bernard may not have wanted to sacrifice time for his BMW paid-for "Time test" at the AGP, I truly hope that at one of our larger events, we can honour the man. Be it A1GP, Bathurst (how good would it be to see a replica BT19 or Cooper zip around!!!!) or even maybe the Muscle Car Masters,the man and event deserves to be marked!

Once again, Australian Story has given an amazing background to a truly remarkable story - Well done, ABC!
'Potsie' Webber acknowledges Mr Brabham as being a positive influence in his racing world, certainly he mentioned during the season about the achievement of 50 years since Mr Brabham won in Monaco... the pressure was on for him to emulate it.. which sadly didnt happen.

Some people are students of motorsport history, others are busy counting money.....
Old 19 Aug 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2524115)   #17
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sir Jack is one of the true greats and a fine Gentleman to boot. One of the great pleasures of doing In Pit Lane over the years has been the opportunity to interview him several times.
He is always charming, though he doesn't suffer fools gladly. The snub by the GP corp to Sir Jack was a disgrace and the sad fact is they still don't get it.
He's worshipped overseas, and when we were at Goodwood a few years back his presence was the source of great interest with long queues lining up to get his autograph.
He still takes a great interest in the sport and despite his recent battles with ill health he has a great attitude.
We got to chase him around Sandown about 14 years ago with a camera as he drove his Repco Brabham (without a helmet). Going up the back straight watching him behind the wheel with the wind blowing though his hair the guy was the epitome of cool.
Sadly the original footage has been lost but I still have the VHS working dub and it's a great shot.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:29 (Ref:2524126)   #18
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
'Potsie' Webber acknowledges Mr Brabham as being a positive influence in his racing world, certainly he mentioned during the season about the achievement of 50 years since Mr Brabham won in Monaco... the pressure was on for him to emulate it.. which sadly didnt happen.

Some people are students of motorsport history, others are busy counting money.....
Unfortunatly the money is what is needed to get some sort of testimonal up and running.

I mean lets face it motorsport not only here but o/s would look a lot different if it wasnt for Sir Jack
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:36 (Ref:2524128)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
You would have considered that Repco might have seen some mileage in it...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2524159)   #20
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTR, despite several changes of hands, you are dead right. They are no longer in the engine market, but they could have made some ground up on SCA with a nice campaign.... Maybe they will wait until 2016 and the 50th aniversary of "Their" WCC and WDC win....

It's kinda of sad.... I can remember the footage of the ARDC tribute to Brockie in 97, a low key event that was still classy. There are some things that "business" shouldn't have a fingerprint on.... Oh, for the old days...

Maybe the most fitting tribute would be to call the Gold Star from this year the Sir Jack Trophy for Australian Open Wheel Driving Champion - even if only for this year...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2524216)   #21
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05 View Post
GTR, despite several changes of hands, you are dead right. They are no longer in the engine market, but they could have made some ground up on SCA with a nice campaign.... Maybe they will wait until 2016 and the 50th aniversary of "Their" WCC and WDC win....
To their credit Repco were all over the Tasman Revival last year...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2524260)   #22
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodonya Sir Jack

I thoroughly enjoyed the show and liked seeing the man himself having some fun under trying circumstances.

As for Aussies getting off their collective duffs to honour someone who has achieved much...forget it...most Aussies are too wrapped up in our own urine and impotence or amassing "things".

Sad really...
Old 20 Aug 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2524753)   #23
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You would have considered that Repco might have seen some mileage in it...
The old Repco (ACL??) workshops in Maidstone (Melbourne) were torn down a few years ago and replaced by some shoe box apartments
Old 20 Aug 2009, 09:55 (Ref:2524917)   #24
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A fantastic story by the ABC, on a true Australian champion.

A very rare combination to find a top driver, respected engineer and also a businessman in the one package.
Old 21 Aug 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2525353)   #25
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be repeated at 12:30pm on Saturday on ABC1 for those who missed it.

Jeff