Old 14 Mar 2001, 13:07 (Ref:71065)   #1
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

hi

just wondering,
what is involved in the RACMSA medical test that you have to complete before you get your racing license ?
And what sorta things are they looking for ?

( not that theres anything wrong with me )

thanks

Woody
Old 14 Mar 2001, 13:43 (Ref:71079)   #2
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome to the forums, Woody

I've only recently got my licence, and apart from the hassle of getting to see a GP, the medical was easy..

Basically, when you get your 'Go Racing' pack from the MSA, you get a form, and some instructions, which you take to your GP. For a fee (£60 for me) they'll do a 'general medical checkup', and sign the form for you..

They'll check things like your blood pressure, heart rate, lung capacity (blow into a tube - always a bit of a giggle ) and check your medical history for things like heart or respiratory problems (like family angina, asthma).

They'll also do a quick check for colour blindness and general eyesight, although in my case they didn't have a color chart, so I just named some colours around the room

I think that's mainly it. Oh yeah, you'll have to give a quick urine sample.. Nothing to it

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them here, or PM me (private message) and I'll talk you through it. Have you got your 'Go Racing' pack yet?
Old 14 Mar 2001, 17:19 (Ref:71115)   #3
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi

thanks for the info

Ive not got my Go Racing Pack yet, im going to wait till i (hopefully) need it.

Just doin some race training in Formula Ford at the moment.

Woody.
Old 14 Mar 2001, 20:52 (Ref:71173)   #4
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
If you are planning to do any racing in the future, then getting your licence now would probably be a good idea..

It's not a pleasant thing to try and get all of the form filling / waiting / getting to see a GP done when your first race is a week away. Get it all done in plenty of time, because you never know when an opportunity may arise.

A relatively simple thing like getting a medical form signed actually took me 3 weeks and serveral pointless trips to the GP (on account of staff stupidity), so you should account for this..

Obviously if you're not planning to enter motorsport for a couple of years, then forget what I've said But otherwise, get it out of the way while you can..
Old 22 Mar 2001, 13:37 (Ref:73578)   #5
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very simple.
First time licence applicants, those over 45 and thsoe going for International licences need to have one.

They check for eye sight, both corrected and uncorrected.
Colour blindness/deficiency.
Clino-stick urine sugar levels, looking for Diabetes.
Blood pressure
Knee reaction
Doctor also confirms no evidence/past of epilepsy, etc..

Then stings you for £40-60 for the 10 minute job.

IanC
Old 22 Mar 2001, 14:43 (Ref:73588)   #6
massifheed
Racer

massifheed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine only cost me 2 bottles of wine. Having said that, is it really good to have a doctor that is willing to work for alcohol?
Old 20 Nov 2007, 15:17 (Ref:2071757)   #7
JasonL220
Rookie

JasonL220 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would i be able to pass the medical because i had a heart operation about 5 years ago.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2071778)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would depend on what the Op was for.Generally the answer would be no,but ,like I said it all depends on what you had done.You're best shot would be to get in touch with the MSA and ask direct.Good luck.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 16:55 (Ref:2071820)   #9
JasonL220
Rookie

cheers sent them an email, i'm expecting them to say no but i hoep they dont.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 17:04 (Ref:2071821)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
HI Jason and welcome to Ten Tenths. Don't give up hope just yet, if your profile is correct you are very young so I would imagine you op was not an age related thing such as a bypass.
I know someone who has had heart attacks a bypass op and other stuff done and still has a licence. The MSA may use your doctor's guidelines or ask for a stress ECG or cardiac consultants report.
You may have been better just going for the medical, say nothing and let the report do the talking.
Don't forget that someone who is monitored for any problems will be a known risk and can be accommodated accordingly, those of us who are not monitored because they are so called healthy are definitely an unknown risk as anyone of us could drop dead from a heart attack at any time.
Good luck anyway.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:04 (Ref:2071868)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especialy on the treadmill!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 18:32 (Ref:2071888)   #12
JasonL220
Rookie

i didn't think of like that, it wasn't age related had it from birth, had complications at age of 13 so it was repaired, have regular check-ups so all should be good , and that age is correct
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:06 (Ref:2071926)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I would go for the medical, send the form off and take it from there. They wont stop you racing unless there is a good reason which will be mainly for your benefit and good health.
Old 20 Nov 2007, 21:49 (Ref:2072019)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL220
i didn't think of like that, it wasn't age related had it from birth, had complications at age of 13 so it was repaired, have regular check-ups so all should be good , and that age is correct
Hole in the heart? You could be lucky,that's what we wish you.Go for it.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:29 (Ref:2072471)   #15
JasonL220
Rookie

yeah hole in heart, a some problems so it was repaired
Old 21 Nov 2007, 13:45 (Ref:2072487)   #16
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a dodgy ticker some years ago myocardial infarction ( sorry if spelling was wrong ). Thought I'd never be able to race - so just sprinted. Then I saw somewhere to ask questions of the MSA, and sent them an email telling them the position (i.e the truth) they asked their medical bod who said no problem provided I passed the medical - I've passed the medical each year since no problem 15 years on - thought I might need glasses this year - your eyes need to be 6/9 to drive on the road (corrected) 6/6 to race (corrected) and 6/4 uncorrected to be a fighter pilot. I had my eyes tested at the opticians as the doc wasn't sure that I was 6/6- turned out I was 6/6 uncorrected - but I bought some glasses anyway, as things were a bit better wearing them - I now have the option to wear them or not. Don't want to push my luck and go for an international (stress ecg req'd + money ) but if you pick your events carefully you can still do quite a lot - I raced at the Nurburgring in the RCN this year (only one round) on a National A licence with a letter from the MSA.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2072612)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
6/4?where do I get my pilot's licence?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 14:51 (Ref:2073566)   #18
Alan Cherry
Veteran

England
Alan Cherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
6/4?where do I get my pilot's licence?

First Join the RAF..................................................................................
Old 22 Nov 2007, 21:33 (Ref:2073795)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Second thoughts,I dont want to grow a mustache.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 14:39 (Ref:2074205)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
yeah hole in heart, a some problems so it was repaired
If it was repaired then surely it is now OK, are you allowed to do any strenuous sports?
Old 26 Nov 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2075889)   #21
JasonL220
Rookie

they recomended i dont do rugby, think thats its
Old 27 Nov 2007, 13:37 (Ref:2076474)   #22
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely worth asking the question. My late father had a quadruple heart bypass after several heart attacks and he still qualified for a license; he did have to go through quite a few checks and meet with the MSA each season though.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2077117)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just an update on the progress of my own licence,I got mail yesterday telling me that the licence had been approved and that it had been sent for printing,I should recieve it in six day's!.What's happening at the MSA?
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:14 (Ref:2077118)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
they recomended i dont do rugby, think thats its
Why would you want to,If it aint got wheel's,Dont do it!
Old 28 Nov 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2077296)   #25
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Just an update on the progress of my own licence,I got mail yesterday telling me that the licence had been approved and that it had been sent for printing,I should recieve it in six day's!.What's happening at the MSA?
You haven't got it yet, I got that email 7 days ago.