Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 May 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1606737)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Memorable Tourist Trophy meetings?

Last weekend was a pretty good Silverstone TT meeting, the Saleen chasing down the MC12 for the win in the main FIA GT event and a couple of cracking GT3 support races.

1988 was a good one and both '83 and '84 had plenty nof dramas in the main events.

Are there any favourite meetings and moments over the years?
Old 12 May 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1606754)   #2
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1984 for me chunterer, especially when the heavens opened and cars flew off at Woodcote. Just a shame that Hans stuck had to come in for his driver change at that very moment.

This photo from the grandstand shows what I mean.

glyn
Old 12 May 2006, 12:10 (Ref:1606954)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, quite amazing sequence of events wasn't it?!

I was just a bit further around Woodcote opposite the pits and only caught glimpses of the shunts from a distance.

However the video of the event graphically illustrates the carnage and one or two lucky escapes!!
Old 12 May 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1607014)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1973 (I think) with the Group 2 Cologne Capris and Batmobile BMW's with Frank Gardeners SCA Camaro and Brain Muirs BMW joining in.

Fantastic machines at the time.
Old 12 May 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1607083)   #5
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
1973 (I think) with the Group 2 Cologne Capris and Batmobile BMW's with Frank Gardeners SCA Camaro and Brain Muirs BMW joining in.

Fantastic machines at the time.
... and don't forget the works Alfa Romeos three wheeling round Stowe in formation!
Old 12 May 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1607093)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

That must've been excellent to witness!
Old 12 May 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1607113)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
... and don't forget the works Alfa Romeos three wheeling round Stowe in formation!
I'd forgotten those. I was marshalling at Stowe out. The great days of Group 2.

A few photos from the Paddock.

And one for Mr Weyman

Old 12 May 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1607121)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Nice shots Alan!

Reminds me, i've gotta get hold of the 1:18 Cologne Capri that Minichamps or somefirm like that have recently released, along with the Grp A Schnitzer 635 mechanical skeleton liveried car!!
Old 12 May 2006, 20:49 (Ref:1607389)   #9
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan.

I was there in 1973 as well and well remember Muir going off at Woodcote and taking most of the pit straight to get the BMW back on track again!

1984 just shaded it though for me despite having two races in the old Group 2 days.

Glyn
Old 14 May 2006, 06:04 (Ref:1609226)   #10
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
77 for me - my first race ever and what a race.
XJ12c's 'v' Gusser CSL.
Would Rouse have caught Walkinshaw?
A win would have changed the way the Broadspeed Jags are remembered. Irrespective, what a noise they made.
Old 18 May 2006, 06:41 (Ref:1613159)   #11
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I first remember the TT held at Goodwood; works Ferrari TestaRossas, little Porsches specifically. Awesome stuff from a lot of foreign sounding type drivers. Left an impression and romance for this kid!
I can't remember but I also recall Bruce McLaren's prototype can-am car, but I'n not sure it was in a TT; him and that Clark chap in a Lotus 30 . . . ?
Old 18 May 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1613201)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, if that Goodwood TT was in 1959, those Ferrari TRs and Porsches were very soundly beaten by my favourite 50's sports racing car, the Aston Martin DBR1/300. In fact come to think of the Aston won in 1957 and 1958, as well.

Surprisingly, I've only ever been to one TT and that was last year, to see the European debut of the DBR9s, and they duly delivered. That really was memorable for me.
Old 18 May 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1613205)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I thought the same about last year John and it was a damn fine race too!-

I was pleased that they called it the TT rather than the BRDC 'nearly 3 hours' or International Trophy or something!

For me the current GT cars are the eqiuvalent of the old touring car classes Grp2/Grp A certainly in terms of the spirit and sounds!!

TT was always a race I looked forward to as a little un, even though i'm not a huge fan of endurance racing (i just kike the cars that are in them!) and during what I consider to be the heyday of touring car racing in the '80's I made sure I was taken to every one from '84-88 until it disappeared for a while
Old 18 May 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1613217)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
For me the current GT cars are the eqiuvalent of the old touring car classes Grp2/Grp A certainly in terms of the spirit and sounds!!
No, no, they are not! Thay are the true successors to the great front engined rear wheel drive GTs of the early to mid 60's. Yes, I know that not all the modern GTs are in that configuration, but the new generation, as far as I'm concerned, was kicked of by the Dodge Viper

Sorry, off topic, normal service is now resumed!
Old 18 May 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1613365)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Yes you're right in that respect John, I can only dream of the Vette's, GTO's etc in their pomp as I wasn't on this earth in those days!!

But purely personally, I think the GT's, as competed in the TT this year and last, are the only current series similar to the old ETC because there is no current equivalent in terms of variety, size and spectacle?

Current 2 litre stuff just isn't the same!!
Old 19 May 2006, 06:50 (Ref:1613987)   #16
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree; the modern BTCC is dreadful stock car stuff. There's more variety, more interesting vehicles running around Hyde Park Corner this very second than the fleet of rep-Hondas, Vauxhalls that constitute UK touring car barge racing. What it that about? Get's the crowds though, imagine if they used interesting powerful cars?
GTs are altogether really bright in the last few years (I enjoyed extensive Porsche racing myself against McLaren, Ferrari, Vipers etc and loved it).
My perfect GT series would include a street race or two, a decent couple of Targa Florio/Milgia Milgia road races, a trip or two to the Nurburgring at night etc.
But it all started for me at Goodwood with Moss and Hawthorn, Hill, Gendebien, Ferrari, Aston and Jaguar with them drifting through Madgewick, all throttle adjustable attitudes.
I loved the idea that they'd be racing at Goodwood at Easter, then off around the world racing in these far off places, Monza, Nurburgring, Osterreichring, Sebring and Daytona. The Martini Porsche 917 team cars I thought did some super racing miles during the course of a season, a year long campaign. After that BOAC 500 or Daytona 24 hours, I thought those cars had really 'traveled'.
Current GT get closest; really good. And the TT perhaps has one of the most evocative histories of them all.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2483302)   #17
RobThorn
Rookie

Wales
South Wales
RobThorn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the 1988 race between the RS500's. Is it possible to get coverage of this race? I recorded the coveraged on BBC Grandstand but taped over it.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2493283)   #18
drivers71
Rookie

Italy
Birmingham, England
drivers71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Tourist Trophies

Some of my Toursist Trophy photos from Silverstone.
Most memorable were the first two I saw.

1972 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...rist%20Trophy/
1973 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/
1977 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/
1978 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/
1979 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/
1981 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/
1984 - http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/j...20Silverstone/

There are probably a few more TTs if you care to browse for them.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2493319)   #19
drivers71
Rookie

Italy
Birmingham, England
drivers71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most memorable TT

The 1972 and 1973 Tourist Trophies were my favourites - when the Group2 regs were sensible.
Here's my photos of those two races, along with links to all the other TTs I saw:

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1972/24%20September%20-%20Tourist%20Trophy/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1973/23%20September%20-%20Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1977/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1978/Tourist%20Trophy%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1979/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1981/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1984/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1986/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj127/drivers71/Motor%20Racing/1987/Tourist%20Trophy%20-%20Silverstone/
Old 1 Jul 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2494370)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobThorn View Post
I enjoyed the 1988 race between the RS500's. Is it possible to get coverage of this race? I recorded the coveraged on BBC Grandstand but taped over it.
I don't know if there was a specific 1988 TT release on VHS (there were for some previous years) but there is some of it on the Duke '88 ETC DVD, which is an excellent review of that year - the last ETC for Group A!