Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3126264)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers' Salaries... by Auto Action...

Interesting to read in last week's Auto Action #1505 an estimate/consolidation/conglomeration of what that publication believes is the salary paid by the team the driver is contracted to, to the driver, in return for their driving services, and attendance at ride days, test days, personal appearances and the like.

The table has been reproduced below, using the AA classifications & values...

These numbers apparently only represent the salary paid to drivers, either as direct income or a percentage of sponsorship sourced/delivered to their team. This means they exclude personal endorsements over and above this regular stipend.

While it is obvious that some of these blokes are on a very good wicket, a survey like this one will get the likes of the Tax Office excited, as well as fire up various estranged partners looking for a piece of the action... maybe...

While there was much laughter at the weekend by the people who know what the real numbers are, it would be hard to argue that the order is probably directionally correct, even if the outright numbers are rubbery...

So... are they right, wrong, indifferent, dont care?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3126269)   #2
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without trying to sound like a Courtney basher (which contrary to previous posts I'm not) why would Courtney be top of this tree, and by a fair margin to boot? Serious question.

I would have expected Lowndes and Whincup to top out this list.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3126285)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Without trying to sound like a Courtney basher (which contrary to previous posts I'm not) why would Courtney be top of this tree, and by a fair margin to boot? Serious question.

I would have expected Lowndes and Whincup to top out this list.
Perhaps Mr Gow & Mr Crompton earn their 10% a little more than the other driver managers...
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3126290)   #4
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
would've thought theyd get way more then that. lol.... still getting that much to drive fast cars isnt too shabby .
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:21 (Ref:3126296)   #5
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would've thought a couple of those guys would be in the negatives; meaning they'd be out and out paying for the drive in return for... well, a drive.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3126305)   #6
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think as GTR posted, a few of those drivers probably get a percentage of the sponsorship they bring to the team.
Old 28 Aug 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3126306)   #7
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldnt mind that list being the one used in our V8 fantasy championship
Old 28 Aug 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3126612)   #8
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, has this forum sunk this low....?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 02:18 (Ref:3126667)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you lost me at Auto Action
Old 29 Aug 2012, 03:16 (Ref:3126675)   #10
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And when AA rang around researching this article, how many teams would breached confidentially agreements to disclose? Would suggest probably in the region of none, just a made up story with no foundation.

V8$A may hold this information (but as there is no need to register contracts, I doubt it) and if they were the source excrement would have hit the fan by now.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3126677)   #11
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 'order' of the list seems roughly about right, but some of the numbers at the top are less than what I've been told. I'd heard Courtney on 1.6, Lowndes ahead of Whincup and GT around 1.1. But that may have been inclusive of other deals or bonuses.

The reason Courtney would be near the top is:
a) He signed as reigning V8 champion in a car/team regarded as inferior to most front-runners.
b) He's got one of the highest profiles of all V8 drivers and is verypopular with corporates.
c) Signed with a factory team desperate to have him as the list of available front-running options wasn't long at the end of 2010.
d) Potentially, performs more off-track duties than his team mate. He does seem to travel more than GT, going by their Twitter feeds.
e) Alan Gow is a very, very good negotiator

I have trouble seeing him at nearly half a mill higher than JW and Lowndes though. Unless they're sacrificing salary to ensure they stay in the #1 car.

Last edited by eduardo1; 29 Aug 2012 at 03:40.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 03:58 (Ref:3126684)   #12
supercar_freek
Rookie

supercar_freek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad for 28 races.

So lets estimate that that works out to be 2 days work per race.

$1,300,000 / 56 = $23,000 per days work.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 04:12 (Ref:3126685)   #13
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You need to look at the broader picture, and factor in appearances at the bequest of sponsors, fitness training, test days, and the like.

Some drivers even get their hands dirty, working on the racecars. Plenty of pictures of Mr Lowndes assisting in engine changes, and so on.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 04:31 (Ref:3126690)   #14
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You need to look at the broader picture, and factor in appearances at the bequest of sponsors, fitness training, test days, and the like.

Some drivers even get their hands dirty, working on the racecars. Plenty of pictures of Mr Lowndes assisting in engine changes, and so on.
You can take the young petrol head cashed-up-bogan* out of Hurstbridge.....

* Levi & Chilli, seriously**.....

** Oops, maybe the other bogan did the naming ?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 05:22 (Ref:3126701)   #15
Umai Naa
Veteran

He is a qualified a qualified mechanic, isn't he?

Besides, I don't see how an all hands on deck approach to getting a car back out on the track to maximise testing time is bogan-inspired. Not a VB/XXXX/West End in sight...
Old 29 Aug 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3126716)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From a formerly religious buyer of AA this article could have been the straw that broke the camel's back, are we that desperate for news?

What next, New Idea style paparrazi following JC around? Who really cares about this ****.
Old 29 Aug 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3126718)   #17
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
look at all the Jealous haterz are on here
Old 29 Aug 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3126721)   #18
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is a haterz?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3126806)   #19
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
What is a haterz?
lrn2internet
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3126836)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I think one of the core outcomes of a survey like this is just how far professional motorsport has come in this country.

If you hark back to the Group A days, when the car to have was a Ford Sierra, and a driver owned the car, one car, and had a few hired spanners.. the rest staffed by long time mates and similar..

... to the place where all of these guys are reported as earning more than the average wage of the land, that they work in an environment where paid full time professionals are preparing their racing equipment, are engineering it, are developing it...

... that this sport has come a hell of a long way...
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3126839)   #21
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, according to those figures, Webby earns less than the driver he pays to drive for him?????
And Dean Fiore, does it take in to account the value of his REC?
Old 29 Aug 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3126847)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
So, according to those figures, Webby earns less than the driver he pays to drive for him?????
And Dean Fiore, does it take in to account the value of his REC?
Not sure how brilliant the outright numbers might be in a family team, or where a driver drags a sponsor along.

You might imagine in the case of Mr Patrizi, that bringing Sinopec, Onsite Rentals, Ausdrill and others, that a percentage of that income lands with the introducer.. while Mr Webb may actually pay himself nothing to drive for the team, instead drawing a wage from one of his family business activities.

The ones that dont sit very well with me are the Kelly Bros.. if they are really pulling that kind of wedge while the other pair of cars in their garage as running as well as they are, then something doesnt smell right...
Old 30 Aug 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3127150)   #23
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is all PUB Chat and No one but no one would have ANY idea what their salaries are. Just he said she said shiyte
Old 30 Aug 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3127392)   #24
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interesting to read in last week's Auto Action #1505 an estimate/consolidation/conglomeration of what that publication believes is the salary paid by the team the driver is contracted to, to the driver, in return for their driving services, and attendance at ride days, test days, personal appearances and the like.

The table has been reproduced below, using the AA classifications & values...

These numbers apparently only represent the salary paid to drivers, either as direct income or a percentage of sponsorship sourced/delivered to their team. This means they exclude personal endorsements over and above this regular stipend.

While it is obvious that some of these blokes are on a very good wicket, a survey like this one will get the likes of the Tax Office excited, as well as fire up various estranged partners looking for a piece of the action... maybe...

While there was much laughter at the weekend by the people who know what the real numbers are, it would be hard to argue that the order is probably directionally correct, even if the outright numbers are rubbery...

So... are they right, wrong, indifferent, dont care?
Interesting to see that Brighty is listed as a JoBri REC and Fabs as a WP.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3127601)   #25
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Interesting to see that Brighty is listed as a JoBri REC and Fabs as a WP.
I think the inference is that Bright derives part of his income from being a shareholder in the JoBri REC and Coulthard is still contracted to WR who are still paying part of his wage.