Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Sep 2013, 03:22 (Ref:3307938)   #126
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
They wouldn't be able to do that as a works team.
Why not???

jimclark
Old 23 Sep 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3308034)   #127
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No factory teams in P2, I would guess. Not sure on the precise wording of the rules, or the precise definition of "factory team," but my understanding is, that P2 is a privateer-only class. Michelotto? NART?
Old 23 Sep 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3308200)   #128
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"LE MANS" PROTOTYPE ("LM" P1): open or closed (*) car,
destined more especially to Manufacturers.

"LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 2 ("LM" P2): open or closed (*)
car, destined only to teams independent of manufacturers
and/or engine suppliers.

The cars that may be considered as "factory cars", whose
technical characteristics and level of development are clearly
not complying with the objectives of the LMP2 regulations
may be refused by the Endurance Committee.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 16:43 (Ref:3308233)   #129
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
They wouldn't be able to do that as a works team.
They could in the US.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 21:11 (Ref:3308373)   #130
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
They could in the US.
Don't know how it works to be honest. Pretty grey area really. If they want to homologate a P2 to race in USCC they'd need to do that though the ACO, right?

DP is different altogether. But to be honest it was just a random thought from a fellow forumer. No substance to it that we know of.
Old 23 Sep 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3308377)   #131
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe there may be some more to this if AF Corse aren't in GTE? They sell countless 458 GTs and GT3s, so a private team may take the helm for Ferrari and leave AF to run lmp1? Just reaching here. Trying to make connections.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3308449)   #132
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
The LMP2 idea makes no sense.

According to those rumors, one of Ferrari's main motivations to even consider LMP1 is that they want to race against the big automakers again.

So why would they enter a class were factories are forbidden to compete? It's the opposite of what they supposedly want.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3308461)   #133
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
It seems the 'factories' are using petrol/diesel four wheel drive, quad electrical motors to produce over 1000 HP while harvesting kinetic energy according to the rumors. Honda is not ready for this so should we expect Ferrari to be ready?

The challenge for automotive innovation and relevance is in WEC, not F1.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 00:41 (Ref:3308468)   #134
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Honda is not ready for this so should we expect Ferrari to be ready?
Why are you comparing small budget HDP customer program to what Ferrari would be spending? In anycase these rumors if they even really qualify as a rumors are not saying Ferrari is doing anything in LMPs in 2014.

Quote:
What's the difference between a modern turbo engine with multiple ERSes (WEC) and a modern turbo engine with multiple ERSes (F1)?

Last edited by deggis; 24 Sep 2013 at 00:48.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 03:52 (Ref:3308539)   #135
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
F1 2014 may be a hit, or maybe not for Ferrari in terms of engine. If it is maybe then they can contemplate a P1 program. Ferrari isn't poor, plus FIAT have their back
Old 24 Sep 2013, 12:22 (Ref:3308714)   #136
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post

Ferrari has F1-sized resources at their disposal. As competitive as LMP1 is, an F1-sized outfit can build a competitive LMP1 car no doubt - Look at what TMG is doing even with a limited budget.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:08 (Ref:3309436)   #137
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Ferrari has F1-sized resources at their disposal. As competitive as LMP1 is, an F1-sized outfit can build a competitive LMP1 car no doubt - Look at what TMG is doing even with a limited budget.
I'm not following as closely as I used to....what is "TMG"

jimclark
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:11 (Ref:3309437)   #138
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota Motorsport GmbH, which is the name of the subsidiary outfit in Cologne that has run the rally program, F1 and now the P1 program.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 02:36 (Ref:3309441)   #139
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ferrari has F1-style resources at their disposal ... which they are sopending unsuccessfully in F1. A full-on P1 program might be a little elss, but is still phenomenally expensive, and no more guaranteed to succeed.

Sure, they could go the cheap route---and earn the same load of crap that so many people have been dumping on Toyota, and probably a lot more so, because Ferrari is so much more of an important brand with such an important racing heritage.

On the plus side ... Ferrari could become known as a race team? Too late for that, eh?

I hope Ferrari rejoins P1, but I cannot think of a good reason why they would.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3309457)   #140
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Ferrari has F1-style resources at their disposal ... which they are sopending unsuccessfully in F1. A full-on P1 program might be a little elss, but is still phenomenally expensive, and no more guaranteed to succeed.

Sure, they could go the cheap route---and earn the same load of crap that so many people have been dumping on Toyota, and probably a lot more so, because Ferrari is so much more of an important brand with such an important racing heritage.

On the plus side ... Ferrari could become known as a race team? Too late for that, eh?

I hope Ferrari rejoins P1, but I cannot think of a good reason why they would.
I can! So they're not racing "just a drinks company". Seriously, P1 has 4 manufacturers (if Honda is there) next year, possibly 5 if Nissan go forward from G56. F1 has 3, unless you count Caterham and Lotus
Old 26 Sep 2013, 06:40 (Ref:3309473)   #141
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The Fiat group are far more likely to enter sportscars with Maserati or Alfa than with Ferrari.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3309526)   #142
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I can! So they're not racing "just a drinks company". Seriously, P1 has 4 manufacturers (if Honda is there) next year, possibly 5 if Nissan go forward from G56. F1 has 3, unless you count Caterham and Lotus
You forgot certain Japanese manufacturer's (Honda) re-entry to F1, which has been actually officially announced & confirmed unlike this certain other Japanese manufacturer's (Nissan) at this point completely imaginery P1 entry

Last edited by deggis; 26 Sep 2013 at 09:47.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:05 (Ref:3309575)   #143
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A full Honda works P1 effort is about as likely as a Ferrari one IMO.

Next to no chance.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3309586)   #144
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I can't see Ferrari diverting resources away from winning in F1 in order to go sportscar racing. The Old Man's decision still stands. The only way you'd see them back in prototypes, I suspect, is on a customer basis like with the 333 SP.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 13:19 (Ref:3309596)   #145
Maelochs
Veteran

Considering Honda is building a P1 customer engine and has a design in hand, I'd say the chances are slightly better that Honda would enter P1 than Ferrari, which has had nothing to do with sports cars in well over a decade.

I would imagine Honda would farm out its efforts (Hello, Highcroft) and use other people's money for what would be a de facto works team.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3309603)   #146
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The Fiat group are far more likely to enter sportscars with Maserati or Alfa than with Ferrari.
FIAT is in a very bad situation.
If they don't succeed in buying full stake in Chrysler, they might be looking at bankruptcy and selling off their brands.
I highly doubt they have resources to invest in a LMP1 project.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 14:13 (Ref:3309611)   #147
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Someone PLEASE fix the grammar in the thread title! That apostrophe is driving me OCD)).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I can't see Ferrari diverting resources away from winning in F1 in order to go sportscar racing. The Old Man's decision still stands. The only way you'd see them back in prototypes, I suspect, is on a customer basis like with the 333 SP.
Except nowadays F1 cost-cutting regulations and agreements do not allow Ferrari to fully use their available resources anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
If they don't succeed in buying full stake in Chrysler, they might be looking at bankruptcy and selling off their brands.
I highly doubt they have resources to invest in a LMP1 project.
Ferrari on the other hand have never been in better financial health.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3309628)   #148
asganaway
Rookie

asganaway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
FIAT bankrupt? it will never happen because italian government will force citizens to pay debts. Already happened in early 2000 when FIAT tried to merge with GM.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3309637)   #149
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's mostly because FIAT builds boring cars, I wanted a 500, but, I don't fit...and the others eh...they remind me of some horrible 90's cars.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 26 Sep 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3309656)   #150
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we do happen to see a P1, it's likely going to be a factory designed, Michelotto/Dallara built customer car. With the engine regs being what they are, and some better equivalency between petrol and diesel, it potentially would allow Ferrari to enter a customer car. If this happens, which it likely wont, I would expect to see in no sooner than 2015, probably 2016.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”