Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Mar 2010, 08:41 (Ref:2659092)   #76
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
when I learnt to drive my instructor said most musicians make good drivers, they generally have good co-ordination.

he didn't say anything about drumers though
Old 24 Mar 2010, 09:34 (Ref:2659116)   #77
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I'm booking my stand again, and I'm taking a motorhome up so I don't have to trek back to MK every night. Was dragged away from Delta's BBQ while I was still standing last year so I didn't even hear the music. Not that anything so far mentioned this year floats my boat.

I know the headline price is in line with other day long activities, but I'm worried it may keep spectators away. Yes, I know, compare the price with a Premiership footie match etc etc but it's still a lot of money for a family day out, and traders need families who get bored and wander away from the racing

As for comparing the event with Coys of years past - IMO it still needs time, it is a worthy heir if it develops. As a spectator I'd rather see Group C than Pre-War so JohnR and I are both disappointed! I'm confused by the different types of F1 race, so as long as there are some 70s F1 racers there I'll be appeased. It's huge grids of 50s and 60s cars that give the best racing and which I'm sure the uninformed watcher (like me!) enjoys most. Lowest common denominator and all that!

That said, I don't want the racing TOO good because I want to take some money too!
Old 24 Mar 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2659196)   #78
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
slightly OT but I was looking up the EifelRennen meeting at the 'Ring in June last night, and noticed that Group C are there :-) :-)
and a 3-day ticket giving access to all open stands and the paddock is 34 Euros
Old 24 Mar 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2659517)   #79
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have fond memories in my teens of camping out in the car display area at the COYS opposite the Lamborghini and Ferrari Car Club and seeing all the Don Johnson and Magnum PI Wannabee's arriving with their 80's Supercars !

The highlight of the racing I recall from the Coys for me was always the Can-AM cars - I'd never seen anything like that before !!!!

So moving on 20 years - I have an entry confirmed in the U2TC race and hopefully will be entering the Mini race - so its kind of a dream come true, never thought I'd be racing at an event I used to love spectating at as a boy even though it's not quite the same event !!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2660353)   #80
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I just stuck a few pics up of Silverstone, and the changes to date. Club in, and Abbey in look a LOT tighter than they used to be...
Brooklands with the HUGE tarmac run off looks less scary than a gravel trap.

Images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 26 Mar 2010 at 11:59. Reason: Forgot the link.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:00 (Ref:2660357)   #81
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, where did you post the pics?

Many thanks
Old 26 Mar 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2660360)   #82
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disregard that! Found them...
Old 26 Mar 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2660604)   #83
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I just stuck a few pics up of Silverstone, and the changes to date. Club in, and Abbey in look a LOT tighter than they used to be...
Brooklands with the HUGE tarmac run off looks less scary than a gravel trap.

Images here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7623706747106/
Thanks Tim,
Glad to see a lot of the gravel go at Brooklands but, sad that, from a flag marshals point of view, Club In, Priory (National) and Brooklands, will never be the same
Old 27 Mar 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2661146)   #84
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ditto from a photographers view point. Some of the corners are getting very hard to extract a decent picture from, now.
I guess it will find out how really CAN do it!
Old 28 Mar 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2662261)   #85
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Friday surprised at the progress from the previous week. I left around 6-30 and the re-construction of the stands opposite the pits still under way, are they working 24/7?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2662421)   #86
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprising isn't it Stuart,some of the construction is going on 24/7! I got talking to a Belgian Gang who were diong building the Stands on the outside of Copse,said it was a pleasure working there,so the work get's done quicker.They were half way through finishing the 'block' they were doing and said they would be finishing that section,seat's and all,by the following Saturday [Had the conversation Thursday Lunchtime]
Old 26 Apr 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2679759)   #87
KingThomas
Rookie

KingThomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to go to the Silverstone Classic and looking for some people from the other side of the pond who want to join me in renting a camper/motorhome and go there. If this is not the best place to put this request, please tell me.

Thomas
Netherlands
Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2679860)   #88
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingThomas View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning to go to the Silverstone Classic and looking for some people from the other side of the pond who want to join me in renting a camper/motorhome and go there. If this is not the best place to put this request, please tell me.

Thomas
Netherlands
Are You quite sure that You will find AMERICANS to share a motorhome at the Silverstone Classic ?

FYI: The body of water between NL and GB is called the channel. The pond is the thing between GB and the US.

Grin
Rudolf

Old 26 Apr 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2679864)   #89
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
The body of water between NL and GB is called the channel.

Think you'll find it's actually the North Sea
Old 26 Apr 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2679933)   #90
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Germans know best but it is the North Sea.
Old 26 Apr 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2679959)   #91
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Germans know best .............
In your dreams!

The important bit is called "La Marche".
Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2679977)   #92
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
In your dreams!

The important bit is called "La Marche".
I always thought it was La Manche
Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2679982)   #93
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=compte deGraves;2679959The important bit is called "La Marche". [/QUOTE]

Its our moat Compte

not very effective but it looks nice
Old 26 Apr 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2679987)   #94
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Its our moat Compte
Best not to call it a moat - we'll have MPs claiming for it on expenses!
Old 26 Apr 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2680195)   #95
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
In German, Kanal, so I guess it's British Waterways?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 06:47 (Ref:2680334)   #96
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Best not to call it a moat - we'll have MPs claiming for it on expenses!
fear not Gary, no ducks, its salty!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2680433)   #97
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
'MEDIA' TEST DAY

Just got the entry list, over 60 cars, including a certain Turner and Jag 'S' type.

Also 2 x T70, T33, T210, DP212, 312B, 275GTB and 330GTO. Should be fun as they are all in 'my' group

Anyone else going?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2680459)   #98
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to see there's at least 1 other Jag thinking of coming, from the description on the Silverstone website ("over 40 V8 monsters") I thought I'd entered the wrong race!
Old 28 Apr 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2681148)   #99
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly I will not be able to make the press day next week as I cant take the time off work
Old 28 Apr 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2681229)   #100
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
sadly I will not be able to make the press day next week as I cant take the time off work
But car there with Peter? Need someone to try and keep up with- T70s etc pace a bit too hot