Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 6 Nov 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2785805)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Alan Gow is new president of FIA Touring Car Commission

The question now is: WHAT WILL ALAN GOW DO TO THE WTCC??!?

Biggest WTF-moment of the day, so far....
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2785816)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Interesting move!
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:29 (Ref:2785818)   #3
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NGTC+ for WTCC?
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2785819)   #4
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
S1600T is already in place, a move to NGTC seems very unlikely.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2785820)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Indeed unlikely for the next 5 or 6 years, except if WTCC implodes in next couple of years.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2785821)   #6
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
S1600T will fit in a NGTC no problem. Alan might add 50kg

Thought I was seeing things when I saw the commission lists. Hope he is allowed to do some good.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2785822)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Thought I was seeing things when I saw the commission lists. Hope he is allowed to do some good.
Just 1 or 2 years to late....
Old 6 Nov 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2785830)   #8
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget, Gow's already been a member of the committee for a while - just now he's in charge of it as well.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 15:09 (Ref:2785831)   #9
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMGBBQWTFLOLLOLZOMGJESUS!

I thought I would never see this happen!
And yet for his sterness, I think Alan Gow is the only man right now who can unite touring car racing and make the WTCC the top tier in touring car racing.

NGTC+ for the WTCC? Yes please.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2785846)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Good move, but like the above poster, its probably 1 year too late.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2785847)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Good move, but like the above poster, its probably 1 year too late.
If he's still around in 3-4 years time then maybe the BTCC and the WTCC could move onto the next version of NGTC together.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2785931)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the manufacturers involved in the WTCC want the world engine, they a relying on the S1600T rulebook. A switch to NGTC even in five years time (unless they stuck to 1600cc) would be WTCC shooting itself in the foot. (If it has survived by then, and DTM has not become the worlds dominant touringcar force, of course..)
Old 6 Nov 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2785957)   #13
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
But the manufacturers involved in the WTCC want the world engine, they a relying on the S1600T rulebook. A switch to NGTC even in five years time (unless they stuck to 1600cc) would be WTCC shooting itself in the foot. (If it has survived by then, and DTM has not become the worlds dominant touringcar force, of course..)
S1600T is not the correct term for the new engine, S1600 is something entirely different.

The NGTC car is fairly separate from the engine, I wouldn't say it's impossible for the NGTC regulations to incorporate a switch to 1.6 turbo's instead of the 2.0 litre turbo's at some point.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 20:04 (Ref:2785974)   #14
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Part of the issue is the direction WTCC is going in (namely a level of performance similar to national championships), although I suppose it means that you could have three way equalization with NGTC, Super 2000 and Super 2000 with 1600cc Turbos as opposed to a BTCC two way equalization. Ideally there would be an NGTC+ for WTCC with statistics nearer to the DTM in some areas (but not the aero lunacy or V8s) and a modularly linked NGTC for national series, but the ship has sailed for the WTCC principles.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2785992)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I can't see NGTC or any other 'common part' concept ever being an FIA sanctioned international formula, especially as a replacement for a production based formula, which in effect means it will never be used at WTCC/ETCC level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
I wouldn't say it's impossible for the NGTC regulations to incorporate a switch to 1.6 turbo's instead of the 2.0 litre turbo's at some point.
Unlikely given how dismissive Gow has been of the 1.6t engine format.

I can't see the TC Commission wanting to ditch the new S2000/1.6t formula before it's even got off the ground, and likewise manufacturers who have invested in the new engine are not going to be pleased. That means that Gow is going to have to sell the idea to manufacturers for at least a couple of year, despite doing his best recently to explain to BTCC fans how it's such a poor idea.

Can one person simultaneously promote two seemingly competing formulas? I feel we've got some interesting times ahead.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2785994)   #16
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Can one person simultaneously promote two seemingly competing formulas? I feel we've got some interesting times ahead.
Whilst also being chairman of a national ASN, the question of impartiality has been brought up before.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2786011)   #17
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Alan Gow is not the promoter of the WTCC. That is still Marcello Lotti.

Gow is now in charge the FIA Commission that oversees touring car racing from the regulatory body side. There's a distinct difference.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2786027)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
S1600T is not the correct term for the new engine, S1600 is something entirely different.
Well it certainly isn't S2000.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2786040)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Alan Gow is not the promoter of the WTCC. That is still Marcello Lotti.

Gow is now in charge the FIA Commission that oversees touring car racing from the regulatory body side. There's a distinct difference.
I don't mean promoting the WTCC directly, perhaps 'promoting' is the wrong choice of word. Part of the TC Commission's function is to work with manufacturers and persuade them of the merits of the FIA's chosen formula. He'll need to tell one group of teams/manufacturers that S2000/1.6t is right for them whilst telling a different group of teams/manufacturers why 1.6t is flawed.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2786041)   #20
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Well it certainly isn't S2000.
Actually, it is. S2000 refers to the car specification, which is unchanged.

Hoping the FIA/WTCC come up with a slightly more useful term before the season starts though, as it's damn confusing.
Old 6 Nov 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2786042)   #21
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I don't mean promoting the WTCC directly, perhaps 'promoting' is the wrong choice of word. Part of the TC Commission's function is to work with manufacturers and persuade them of the merits of the FIA's chosen formula. He'll need to tell one group of teams/manufacturers that S2000/1.6t is right for them whilst telling a different group of teams/manufacturers why 1.6t is flawed.
Yep, that works for me
Old 7 Nov 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2786281)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
OMGBBQWTFLOLLOLZOMGJESUS!

I thought I would never see this happen!
And yet for his sterness, I think Alan Gow is the only man right now who can unite touring car racing and make the WTCC the top tier in touring car racing.

NGTC+ for the WTCC? Yes please.
The 'Top Tier' in Touring Car Racing is V8Supercar...
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2786292)   #23
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Don't you start trolling here
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2786294)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Not with only 2 manufacturers.
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2786328)   #25
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Of course, in Europe the tope tier is DTM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Not with only 2 manufacturers.
Oh bugger...