Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3884607)   #226
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
They are about the same size as Formula One or Indycar cars, which do just fine at commanding prices for stickers on cars!

SF5000, offering lower costs than Supercars and great performance, has potential as a rival premier category...
That does not make them as big as a sedan body, it would be business suicide to promote them as a replacement for SC as we now know it. Open wheelers as much as I would like them to be will never be and have never been the premier racing series in Oz even though they were very popular for a short time but never the headline act. The Tasman series was extremely popular for a few months of the year for a while but that faded when the stars did not bother taking the trek down under. Ending that series also had another knock on effect and that was current cars from OS were not imported in the same numbers.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 04:22 (Ref:3884717)   #227
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
I was lucky then, I must have one of the last Japanese built MU-X.
Sorry to disappoint. The MU-X were never assembled or partially assembled in Japan, only Thailand, India and China.
Old 17 Feb 2019, 05:32 (Ref:3884723)   #228
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
Sorry to disappoint. The MU-X were never assembled or partially assembled in Japan, only Thailand, India and China.
Carsguide said Japan at the time........still, I haven't got a dodgy transmission or faulty discs so I'm happy about that.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 02:28 (Ref:3885670)   #229
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because much of recent posts here are about the relative merits of various utes I thought for interest I would list the sales for January of the Top 10 sellers in the "Combined 4 x2 and 4 x 4 Ute class" :

Toyota Hi Lux 3,951
Ford Ranger 2,564
Mitsubishi Triton 1,697
Holden Colorado 1,544
Nissan Novara 1,083
Mazda BT - 50 1,046
Isuzu D - Max 859
VW Anorak 544
Mercedes X - Class 120
Great Wall Steed 71
Old 21 Feb 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3885679)   #230
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Ford and VW working together on the next generation ute.
Old 21 Feb 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3885684)   #231
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested to see those figures without mining and fleet sales. What are the private buyers forking out for?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 22 Feb 2019, 22:36 (Ref:3886057)   #232
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
I'd be interested to see those figures without mining and fleet sales. What are the private buyers forking out for?
User chooser market is dominated by crew cab utes because of ****ing stupid tax rules.
Old 22 Feb 2019, 23:08 (Ref:3886065)   #233
Driver TBA
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
User chooser market is dominated by crew cab utes because of ****ing stupid tax rules.
I'm one of those.

I'm curious about brands people are buying. I reckon the Ranger might be no. 1 and the Colarado and Triton much tighter near the front.
The Hilux is stupid expensive and only just got out of the 3 year warranty dark ages. The Triton on the other hand is dirt cheap with a massive warranty.

The Ranger seems to be the new SS/XR6T ute. Decked out with every ARB accessory and never sees a dirt road....

Old 23 Feb 2019, 01:26 (Ref:3886076)   #234
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Show up with product people want to buy, don’t just keep telling people to shut up..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 23 Feb 2019, 02:40 (Ref:3886083)   #235
Driver TBA
Veteran

“We’ve decided to fight back … with sass and humour and confidence and swagger and take on the many keyboard warriors out there"

Jerry Seinfeld to 888?

Old 23 Feb 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3886102)   #236
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Show up with product people want to buy, don’t just keep telling people to shut up..
In your expert opinion what would that product be, not what should it have been but what do they need now.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/faceli...utm_source=smh
Old 23 Feb 2019, 12:46 (Ref:3886136)   #237
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I’d have thought given their current market position that keyboard warriors should be low on the list of things to worry about.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 00:31 (Ref:3886220)   #238
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I’d have thought given their current market position that keyboard warriors should be low on the list of things to worry about.
Yep, they've misread the market here in Oz.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 01:59 (Ref:3886229)   #239
Driver TBA
Veteran

Hopefully Holden don't use GIC Campers method on social media.

Old 24 Feb 2019, 02:12 (Ref:3886231)   #240
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

They're kinda limited in their options.

Either Euro GM, or Korean GM or Yank GM. In my opinion, I've listed them from good to bad. If you read the comments in social media, the locals want big RWD V8s, made here in Australia. Which in reality, no longer exist, and besides the sales boost at the very end, weren't selling in any meaningful number for quite a few years.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 05:30 (Ref:3886237)   #241
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If you read the comments in social media, the locals want big RWD V8s, made here in Australia.
Wasn't this always the problem going back decades? Everyone talked about having a big RWD V8 car but no one bought them.

V8 owners were a niche segment in a relatively small isolated market dominated by fleet sales.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 06:11 (Ref:3886242)   #242
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm with you on that.

The real numbers didn't reflect the supposed demand.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 06:23 (Ref:3886243)   #243
Driver TBA
Veteran

People love the idea of owning a "big V8", but the reality is they're not that practical.

the old "if it wasn't for work, kids, the missus, economy, we go camping, etc. I'd own an SS / XR8 in a heartbeat".

Old 24 Feb 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3886245)   #244
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I did a 1500km odd run in the South Island of NZ a couple of years back in a V8 VFII, and it was sublime. But for my normal drive in Sydney traffic, it just didn't make any sense for me.

Mind you neither does a ****ing monster truck but my wife wants a Ranger.

Maybe I should keep the car and change wife.
Old 24 Feb 2019, 08:53 (Ref:3886252)   #245
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I did a 1500km odd run in the South Island of NZ a couple of years back in a V8 VFII, and it was sublime. But for my normal drive in Sydney traffic, it just didn't make any sense for me.

Mind you neither does a ****ing monster truck but my wife wants a Ranger.

Maybe I should keep the car and change wife.

There are things that a wife can do, but a car can't
Old 24 Feb 2019, 09:52 (Ref:3886262)   #246
Umai Naa
Veteran

The fact that the term mechaphillia exists, suggests otherwise...
Old 24 Feb 2019, 21:10 (Ref:3886385)   #247
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
There are things that a wife can do, but a car can't
True, but the car doesn't complain when you go racing every weekend, and spend half the weeknights working on the car for the next weekend. And the wife can't pull a 3T trailer either
Old 24 Feb 2019, 22:45 (Ref:3886396)   #248
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
True, but the car doesn't complain when you go racing every weekend, and spend half the weeknights working on the car for the next weekend. And the wife can't pull a 3T trailer either
Just buy the goddamn Ranger - you'll save a packet over trading the wife
Old 24 Feb 2019, 22:47 (Ref:3886397)   #249
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A guy walks into a Holden dealer and says to the salesman I'd like a Holden Commodore like I see racing in Supercars with a V8 engine and rear wheel drive. The salesman says "I'm sorry Sir but we don't sell those, but I can sell you a Commodore with a V6 engine and front wheel drive". The guy walks out.

The guy walks into a Ford dealer and says to the salesman I'd like a Ford Mustang like I see racing in Supercars with a V8 engine and rear wheel drive. The salesman says "Certainly Sir, step this way".
Old 24 Feb 2019, 22:48 (Ref:3886398)   #250
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
A guy walks into a Holden dealer and says to the salesman I'd like a Holden Commodore like I see racing in Supercars with a V8 engine and rear wheel drive. The salesman says "I'm sorry Sir but we don't sell those, but I can sell you a Commodore with a V6 engine and front wheel drive". The guy walks out.

The guy walks into a Ford dealer and says to the salesman I'd like a Ford Mustang like I see racing in Supercars with a V8 engine and rear wheel drive. The salesman says "Certainly Sir, step this way".
The same challenge was occurring at Volvo dealerships