Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Aug 2009, 05:19 (Ref:2530241)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look at the technology going into the GT-R.. 20 years ago they had so many systems and processes and bits and pieces from around the world Here

Just amazing that a group of Aussies, with admittedly a budget of significant size, could scour the world for the best equipment, and drag it down here, to produce the fastest Group A car in the world!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Aug 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2530822)   #27
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Also, I was interested watching the DTM the other night. I had the Audi with a V8 and all wheel drive. Was getting excellent traction / acceleration out of corners compared to the preceeding car (BMW) which was rear wheel drive.
That must have been some sort of S2000 or sports car racing I think, in DTM the cars are all the much the same with different badges just like V8 Supercars.

If Nissan sponsorship of the 12-hour, could be accompanied by an 'incidental and unrelated' waiver allowing the GT-R to race, that could be a good win for the marque! They could bring along a crack squard with Skaifey, Richo and co.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 00:07 (Ref:2531590)   #28
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
That must have been some sort of S2000 or sports car racing I think, in DTM the cars are all the much the same with different badges just like V8 Supercars.
Audi did have a V8 Quattro DTM car in the early 90's while Group A was still kicking elsewhere. DTM soon kicked out Audi, and then BMW because they didn't like the cars they used though.

Quote:
If Nissan sponsorship of the 12-hour, could be accompanied by an 'incidental and unrelated' waiver allowing the GT-R to race, that could be a good win for the marque! They could bring along a crack squard with Skaifey, Richo and co.
Please no more 24 hour Monaro sheet-styrring.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 04:54 (Ref:2531672)   #29
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if you guys realise that the R35 GTR was eligible to race in the GT Championship at Eastern Creek earlier this year. Tony Alford from Donut King Racing entered one in the Shannons Nationals round.

We may see a couple R35 GTR's racing at Bathurst later this year in the GT Championship support category.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 22:50 (Ref:2532186)   #30
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, is that GT-R a production car?

The 370Z could be more realistic for the 12hr win if properly prepared perhaps? (Would they need some concessions to get it properly on the pace?)

Nissan are certainly up there in performance car stakes for a brand that does not race outside of Japan or Dakar (?). Bargain basement priced front drive cars like the Tiida and Maxima do not help their image though... are these cars actually poorly made (hence the discount price) compared to brands like Mazda or is it just an image problem???
Old 31 Aug 2009, 23:40 (Ref:2532208)   #31
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Also, I was interested watching the DTM the other night. I had the Audi with a V8 and all wheel drive. Was getting excellent traction / acceleration out of corners compared to the preceeding car (BMW) which was rear wheel drive.

what DTM was this that u were watching??? 90's??
Old 1 Sep 2009, 02:04 (Ref:2532248)   #32
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the R35 GTR campained by Tony Alford is a production spec. He raced it in the GT production class in the GT championship.

I would love to see a 370Z in the Bathurst 12 hour prepared by Nissan.

A 350Z raced in this years 12 hour and it was 6 - 7 secs of the Evo's pace a lap, not sure how much quicker a 370Z would really be over the 350Z.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 03:23 (Ref:2532271)   #33
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
It would be great if someone could make an equivalence formula so FWD 2L cars light as a feather, AWD cars like Evos & STis, compact sports cars like M3s, 370Zs, turbocharged rotary powered RX8s, muscle cars like Falcons, Commodore, Chargers, Camaros and Mustang SVOs, and sports saloons like Jag XKRs, M5s and E-class AMGs could all be scrapping equally in over the top, fully fledged touring car racing. (Unfortunately I'm guessing these touring cars would cost $3m each and the series would rapidly implode in a mess of parity politics!)
Old 1 Sep 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2532406)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
On OneHD it is only a few weeks behind the activities in German series

They also show the BTCC, and did so jst after the F1 on Sunday night/Monday morning
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Sep 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2532427)   #35
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
On OneHD it is only a few weeks behind the activities in German series

They also show the BTCC, and did so jst after the F1 on Sunday night/Monday morning
Yes, but the race Bevan L described sounds more like the DTM from 1991 than 2009.
Old 1 Sep 2009, 23:47 (Ref:2532844)   #36
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yes, but the race Bevan L described sounds more like the DTM from 1991 than 2009.
yeah I didnt describe it but BMW hasnt been in DTM for a while now, and there is no 4WD Audi in DTM now either so was just wondering what DTM he was watching
Old 2 Sep 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2532865)   #37
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Audi did have a V8 Quattro DTM car in the early 90's while Group A was still kicking elsewhere. DTM soon kicked out Audi, and then BMW because they didn't like the cars they used though.
Neither was kicked out of the DTM, both pulled out (along with Opel) at the end of the 1992 season, as they weren't in favour of the "Class 1" regs for 1993 replacing their Group A based rules... as it was Nicola Larini won the 1993 DTM in a 4WD drive Alfa Romeo
Old 2 Sep 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2532913)   #38
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Neither was kicked out of the DTM, both pulled out (along with Opel) at the end of the 1992 season, as they weren't in favour of the "Class 1" regs for 1993 replacing their Group A based rules... as it was Nicola Larini won the 1993 DTM in a 4WD drive Alfa Romeo
Opel never pulled out. in fact i think Manuel Reuter won the championship in 96, the final year in a Calibra.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 08:17 (Ref:2532943)   #39
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Opel never pulled out. in fact i think Manuel Reuter won the championship in 96, the final year in a Calibra.
Opel didn't compete in 1993.

They ran the (amongst others Eggenberger-prepared) Omega until the end of 1992, but returned in 1994 with the Calibra.

Opel and BMW had originally committed to the 1993 regs, but pulled out, leaving just Mercedes and the new Alfa's for 1993.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2532975)   #40
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does any of the last page relate to the Thread Topic?

(ie. Nissan GTR at Bathurst)?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2533022)   #41
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

Back on topic.

The Nissan GTR, surely the most overrated touring car in the history of the sport.

Its' only real competition was the Sierra (which was three years old when the GTR first appeared - an absolute lifetime by Group A standards), the BMW M3 (a class car that was never intended as an outright contender) and the Holden Commodore (a car that was always going to struggle under the Group A engine capacity = weight = tyre size formula)

Sure the GTR was good car but it for Nissan but it was a case of third time lucky for Nissan at a time when the rest of the world couldn't give two hoots about Group A.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 01:53 (Ref:2534166)   #42
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post

because its all about red vs blue thats why.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 01:58 (Ref:2534171)   #43
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Would Nissan have continued?... (if the "V8s" were not over-specced and were the same speed as Super Tourers as originally intended (is that correct?).) Their Primera super tourer program wasn't that strong in the BTCC at the time, but a Winfield backed Gibson team may been able to make quite a good car I suppose.