Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2425235)   #1
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC Coverage thoughts (so far)

I would be interested to hear what people in the UK think of the BBC coverage, both now and after the first race.

When their website was first launched it would be fair to say that the reaction wasn't great from many, but clearly it's work in progress and I'm personally a big fan. Loads of content now and the amount of video footage (old and new) is a promising sign. Plenty to read as well, particularly the insights from the team in how the preparations are going.

I listen to Radio One quite a bit and they are all over it, Chris Moyles speaking to Martin Brundle this morning, plenty of coverage on Newsbeat etc. There can't be too many people in the country who aren't aware that F1 is about to kick off.

The most pleasing thing for me personally has been the fairly even handed coverage given so far, for once Hamilton comes across as one of 20 drivers, not the be all and end all.

A sign of good things to come? They certainly appear to be taking it seriously, and the coverage I've seen has been excellent for the more casual observer they are trying to attract (even my other half now has a basic understanding of many of the current issues) whilst not completely alienating those with a deeper understanding. Radio One even broke the news of the diffuser issue being cleared up a short while ago, something - it's fair to say - they wouldn't have mentioned in previous seasons.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2425244)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
When their website was first launched it would be fair to say that the reaction wasn't great from many, but clearly it's work in progress and I'm personally a big fan. Loads of content now and the amount of video footage (old and new) is a promising sign. Plenty to read as well, particularly the insights from the team in how the preparations are going.
It is only a website, I think people expected a new medium. However there is lots of nice footage on there and the journalism is as good as anything else out there, especially in the mainstream.
Quote:
I listen to Radio One quite a bit...
Is the dial stuck
Quote:
...and they are all over it, Chris Moyles speaking to Martin Brundle this morning, plenty of coverage on Newsbeat etc. There can't be too many people in the country who aren't aware that F1 is about to kick off.
That is the promotion to the under 12s covered then.

I'll stop pulling your leg, it is good that they are having this cross pollination.
Quote:
The most pleasing thing for me personally has been the fairly even handed coverage given so far, for once Hamilton comes across as one of 20 drivers, not the be all and end all.
That remains to be seen. The beeb promote teh brits in any sport, that is what people want. They won't be as blatant IMHO. There agenda is different to other ITV.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2425246)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So far, so good for me.
While ITV did a good job, I'm very happy F1 is back with the BBC.
The web site has grown much of great interest this last week or so and as ukaskew says, the video content is great.
Many a happy memory in there.

And it is almost certain 'The Chain' is back AND no mid-action ad breaks.
Anyway we'll see the fruits of BBC's labours tomorrow.

I can't wait.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2425248)   #4
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I am somewhat biased, I think the Beeb are doing a great job so far. I'd expect a sizable update to the website tomorrow to coincide with the first race of the season.

Looking forward to more classic GP coverage throughout the season, and really looking forward to what they'll do with extra data from teams and their forays onto IPTV platforms (such as the XBox 360) in the coming year or two.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2425270)   #5
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm liking what I've seen so far, a lot. The classic GP footage on the red button was a great idea and the website is a good mix of news, interviews and features. Enjoying the presenters blogs too. Some great little touches as well - I really like the iCal download for the race weekend.

Given that no one has actually turned a wheel in anger yet, I think they've done a really good job of building the interest, the only thing I'm not overly impressed by is the trail they've been running. Although that one bar of The Chain right at the end did get the hairs on the back of my neck standing up

Of course, none of the above really matters if they don't get the actual coverage right, but I am pretty confident based on what we've seen so far. I haven't been this excited about an F1 season for years!
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2425281)   #6
ukaskew
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Of course, none of the above really matters if they don't get the actual coverage right, but I am pretty confident based on what we've seen so far. I haven't been this excited about an F1 season for years!
I guess the issue here is that in many respects they are limited as to what they are supplied with from FOM. In terms of what they are giving us, they seem to be offering pretty much everything available to them in terms of data and coverage (thinking of practice on Friday, and the additional feeds in particular) and appear keen to get hold of more content for the viewers.

That just leaves the studio coverage and the commentary, and people will always be divided on that as it's very much down to personal preference, and I imagine a difficult balancing act in keeping the purists happy whilst not alienating the newcomers.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2425291)   #7
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
That just leaves the studio coverage and the commentary, and people will always be divided on that as it's very much down to personal preference, and I imagine a difficult balancing act in keeping the purists happy whilst not alienating the newcomers.
That's the side of it I was thinking of - and to be honest the combination of Brundle + no James Allen will probably be enough for most of the purists

Judging from the website the balance (there at least) seems pretty good to me - for example the story about diffusers managed to outline for the newbie the basics of what the diffuser does, but without letting that get in the way of the actual story. If they can keep that sort of balance I'll be pretty happy.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2425294)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So far, so good.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:25 (Ref:2425299)   #9
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Guys, do we think we'll have commentary for tonight's Red Button viewing of the practice? How about an intro video? I know this sounds rather random, but if any of you caught ITV's online practice footage, it was extremely raw and basically just a live feed.

Selby
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2425301)   #10
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
It'll have the R5LSX commentary, with David Croft and Ant Davidson. I don't think there'll be any sort of intro segment to the show, they'll just TX the world feed (ala ITV)...
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2425304)   #11
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My info is that David Croft will be commentating, can't remember where I geard it though.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2425305)   #12
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ohh fair enough. Well that's better than no commentary, just would have been nice to get a sneak preview of Leg and Brundle together!

Selby
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2425335)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
are the beeb having a pre-race show?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2425340)   #14
ukaskew
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
There are no stand-alone introductory shows by the looks of it, just the usual pre-race hour (which will be a real genuine hour, it's going to take a bit of getting used to again with no ads)
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2425346)   #15
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard View Post
It'll have the R5LSX commentary, with David Croft and Ant Davidson.
Sounds good. Davidson has already proven to be more than a capable commentator, his stint with James Allen in Hungary a couple of years ago wasn't bad at all.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:46 (Ref:2425348)   #16
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The things I've heard so far about the red button during the race sound good - access to live stats and some extra feeds I believe.

ITV did a good job in the end and the BBC have a lot to live up to. If it wasn't for adverts it would have been hard to say I was happy for BBC to take it.

I'm just glad Martin Brundle was kept on. I would rather have suffered adverts than lose Martin Brundle as a commentator.

James Allen did a good job in the later seasons - once he stopped trying to fill Muzza's boots (which was painfully embarassing at times) and just started to be himself - I thought he got a bit too much stick.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2425350)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Sounds good. Davidson has already proven to be more than a capable commentator, his stint with James Allen in Hungary a couple of years ago wasn't bad at all.
Yeah - I'd much rather have him driving a car, but his commentary is strong and getting better with time. I've found there to be a marked difference between his and Brundle's technical insights (although that's par for the course, given Davidson's experience of developing contemporary cars)...with a bit more practice behind the mic he'll mature quite nicely I think
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2425599)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, I envy you guys. I am assuming the online feeds of practice, and such, are only going to be available to UK residents?

Still, the good news is I'll be getting the BBC feed on TSN (well, I am assuming it is going to be the BBC). Alas, I feel rather certain they will be sticking ads in regardless, . The good thing is the radio and websites are available as ever (even if the feeds are resitricted, which they presumably are).

It really is rather fitting the BBC taking the coverage back coincides with the big changes in the sport itself.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2425600)   #19
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
As a licence fee payer I couldn't possibly condone it, but rumour has it that if you find a UK proxy server you might be able to see the BBC feeds
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2425605)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, indeed. I forgot about proxies, for some reason.

On that account, is the BBC showing the races online? If so, that deals with the adverts problem.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2425612)   #21
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
F1 preview on red button listed
Friday 6am running thru 1.25 am

Is this a seperate show to practise?
Old 26 Mar 2009, 23:35 (Ref:2425656)   #22
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
I imagine it'll be the 'preview' show they've been showing all week (before the classic GP stuff), sadly.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 00:33 (Ref:2425700)   #23
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Under which URL would I find the practice live stream?
Old 27 Mar 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2425708)   #24
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
The things I've heard so far about the red button during the race sound good - access to live stats and some extra feeds I believe.
I might set up a second TV beside the one I'll be watching the race on, probably for keeping on the stats screen. Just a pity the official timing screens won't be on the red button, that would be ideal.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 01:12 (Ref:2425715)   #25
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Shouldn't the live coverage be starting now? We're getting the 94 season finale again.