Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2854272)   #26
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
It was good commentary from the both of them, as expected, and is the general response from others here. A couple of detractors, but they probably say it's too hot when we have sunny days
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2854280)   #27
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Christian Horner did well now in his second year as a co-commentator for the BBC.......
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2854284)   #28
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched half of the race and all of quali and I have to say its good to be in the hands of two experts who already seem comfortable together. Just a shame that wizened irish rug wearer is still there for his 'expert' analysis after the race.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:57 (Ref:2854288)   #29
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that MB was a little overawed / unobservant at the beginning of the race, I'd spotted that Schumacher had a puncture and obviously that was why he was pitting, but then I was just watching it on my own, and not having to tell miilions of other people what was going on!
I noticed too that MB made a couple of mistakes, he named Trulli going off when it was Heikki for example, but is that now because its his job to talk first about what he see's whereas before, it was JA or JL's job and as an observer/expert he had a second or two to take it all in before mentioning something?

But all in all a good start. I was pleased that Martin didn't start shouting when the red lights went out but just reported what he (we all) saw.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2854296)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought that MB was a little overawed / unobservant at the beginning of the race, I'd spotted that Schumacher had a puncture and obviously that was why he was pitting, but then I was just watching it on my own, and not having to tell miilions of other people what was going on!
You're absolutely right of course. But why did nobody ever cut Allen and Legard this sort of slack? We used to have a new thread every time either of those guys made that sort of error.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:08 (Ref:2854299)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Bad commentators have the potential to ruin motorsport coverage, agreed. But I've never heard a bad F1 commentator. If you're a bad commentator, you don't get to do F1.
I disagree with this - bad commentators can happen on ITV.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2854344)   #32
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked it. A massive improvement over Jonathan "OOOF! THAT'S NOT WHAT HE WANTED THERE!" Legard. I thought Brundle and Coulthard were sufficiently energetic, for example when Vitaly Petrov passed the chequered flag for third. Maybe there is more to come in that regard, but as a first attempt - if you like - it was good and had everything it needed to have.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2854350)   #33
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really smooth job, serious pro both of them. i think there are two things missing from it being perfect

1.) More enthusiasm

It was probably the MOST unispired way I have ever heard a commentator going on about a new season's star... when the red lights are off he should have SCREAMED the 2011 Forumula One season gets UNDERWAY!!! or something along those lines. Leggard was much better in raising his voice, even if it was artifical, we still need that I feel)

2.) A touch of humour

It is always good when the two commentators pull eachother leg every now and then. There is no chemistry between these two yet. Altho when Martin ask DC if it was 99% or 100% Rubens fault, that was funny, but we could do with some more.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2854359)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I believe that Jonathan Legard was commentating for radio 5 live on the 'Oxbridge' boat race. Things happen much more slowly in that, so that even Legard can make reasonable assessments as to what might happen next.

Hard to know how he could make it sound as exciting as anything that ever happened to Jenson Button in a race ?

God job done by MB and DC, btw.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2854369)   #35
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I believe that Jonathan Legard was commentating for radio 5 live on the 'Oxbridge' boat race. Things happen much more slowly in that, so that even Legard can make reasonable assessments as to what might happen next.
"Oxford are pushing on. Do Cambridge have a problem? Woof!...etc"
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:42 (Ref:2854377)   #36
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC fitted in to his role really well, Brundle did really good too. My only gripe would be I think Brundle is lacking the confidence to let what he wants to say actually be spoken. It's almost as if he feels that if he screams everyone will start to hate him.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2854381)   #37
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
DC fitted in to his role really well, Brundle did really good too. My only gripe would be I think Brundle is lacking the confidence to let what he wants to say actually be spoken. It's almost as if he feels that if he screams everyone will start to hate him.
Brundle has always been a dry, cynical voice in the commentary box. If he was to start yelling and wooping it'd sound forced and people probably would hate him for it.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2854383)   #38
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course, I don't mean along the Legard proportions.. but especially at the start.. it just seemed to fall flat a bit.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2854386)   #39
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Too be honest I did not give the comentary much thought.So i guess it was OK. One thing I do know I bet they would both rather be driving.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2854390)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Of course, I don't mean along the Legard proportions.. but especially at the start.. it just seemed to fall flat a bit.
Maybe for the first and last couple of minutes of the race they could get James Allen to do the commentary ?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:12 (Ref:2854391)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Martin: "And as the cars line up on the grid, I hand you over to James Allen"
James: "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!"
Martin: "Thanks James"
DC: "Yeah, cheers mate."
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:39 (Ref:2854423)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought they were both excellent - seemed to gel very well together - they almost kept me awake during the last 4-5 laps......
Old 27 Mar 2011, 19:59 (Ref:2854449)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Very natural and good chemistry as I expected. No bad news has come out of their partnership so far.

Brundle still managed to maintain his dryness with the odd quip or two and they seemed to share a few humourous moments too.

A more relaxed conversational style employed by the two of them rather than the typical pointed, formal, shouty style we have become used to in the past from various commentators.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2854484)   #44
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Bad commentators have the potential to ruin motorsport coverage, agreed. But I've never heard a bad F1 commentator. If you're a bad commentator, you don't get to do F1.
Well now that clearly isn't true. There is a history of bad commentators for high profile events. ITV, especially, have a host of them. We have had James Allen, Jonathan Legard and Jonathan Palmer for F1 alone over the years.

What about the football? Names like Peter Drury ("Bye, bye big American sigh!!1!!1"), Clive Tyldesley, Jonathan Pearce, Guy Mowbray. And, once upon a time, Kenneth Wolstenholme. Dreadful, absolutely dreadful all of them. And all have done big games, be it European cup, international tournaments, FA Cup.

So, clearly, a lot of inept voices creep to the top somehow. It won't be long before Jacqui Oatley is doing the world cup final I expect.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2854516)   #45
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I believe that Jonathan Legard was commentating for radio 5 live on the 'Oxbridge' boat race.
He was and some will be pleased to know that he did mention 'crucial'.

Edit: He said 'push on' just after 9:20 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...oat_Race_2011/
Old 27 Mar 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2854519)   #46
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes, I think that's fair comment. Of the two, DC seemed to have less nerves, but I think Brundle will be fully into his stride by the time Malaysia comes around. A bit later in the day, thank goodness.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 23:48 (Ref:2854585)   #47
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
really smooth job, serious pro both of them. i think there are two things missing from it being perfect

1.) More enthusiasm

It was probably the MOST unispired way I have ever heard a commentator going on about a new season's star... when the red lights are off he should have SCREAMED the 2011 Forumula One season gets UNDERWAY!!! or something along those lines. Leggard was much better in raising his voice, even if it was artifical, we still need that I feel)

2.) A touch of humour

It is always good when the two commentators pull eachother leg every now and then. There is no chemistry between these two yet. Altho when Martin ask DC if it was 99% or 100% Rubens fault, that was funny, but we could do with some more.

Thoroughly enjoyed DC's comment:

Force India engineer on radio to Sutil: "You should think of trying to pass the car in front of you".

DC: "Like that idea wouldn't have occurred to him up to now!".
Old 28 Mar 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2854612)   #48
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are still missing things like Schu driving down the pitlane and into his box with a missing rear tyre/puncture. DC only mentions the puncture as MS departs box.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 03:10 (Ref:2854631)   #49
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
They are still missing things like Schu driving down the pitlane and into his box with a missing rear tyre/puncture. DC only mentions the puncture as MS departs box.
Martin was already launching into his first opportunity to bring up the particularly slow pit lane speed limit and wasn't looking at the screen, I bet! DC was polite enough not to interrupt, but I think he'll get over that.

Some of DC's more humourous lines reminded me of things Brundle would say, so I think if they can both settle into their roles they'll do nicely; 2 very well-informed mates telling the rest of us about a race.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 05:02 (Ref:2854637)   #50
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
He was and some will be pleased to know that he did mention 'crucial'.

Edit: He said 'push on' just after 9:20 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...oat_Race_2011/
Brundle asked "what's he got left in the tank" in the closing stages of the Grand Prix so I fear he has been contaminated