Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2875737)   #1
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What could these wires in Vettels front wing be for?

If you look closely you can see them protruding from where the wing was ripped off..

Sensors? or... wires to a heating element to soften the wing?
Old 7 May 2011, 10:35 (Ref:2875759)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A wheel tether? Poor guess I know.
Old 7 May 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2875764)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
spring loaded flexible wing???? send photo to mclaren LOL!
Old 7 May 2011, 10:49 (Ref:2875765)   #4
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Probably for a nose / wing camera would be my guess.

If not maybe they are Christmas lights to go with the tree he has hanging out the front !!
Old 7 May 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2875935)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heat wire transferring certain amounts of heat into a memory shape alloy to make the wing bend and straighten up at will?

But where does Solid Snake come into all this?
Old 7 May 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2875985)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
would static electricity do the same thing.....sure i learnt something in physics about it being able to change the shape of certain objects.....

come to think about it wasnt max mosely harping on about that sort of thing being part of the potential rules about 5 years back but everyone thought he was mad?
Old 7 May 2011, 13:53 (Ref:2875998)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cameras I believe
Old 7 May 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2876009)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Cunning use of grass as ballast.....
Old 7 May 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2876055)   #9
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Cameras I believe
Makes the most sense.. but one for each side of the wing?
Old 7 May 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2876103)   #10
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Cameras I believe
YEH YEH...thats what red bull WANT you to believe!!!!....really its cables to their MAGIC PADDLE
Old 7 May 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2876247)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Surely that's what controls Red Bulls flexible wings?
Old 7 May 2011, 19:50 (Ref:2876425)   #12
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're the high-tech equivalent of those anti-static rubber strips old people used to have on the back of their cars.
Old 7 May 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2876440)   #13
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Surely that's what controls Red Bulls flexible wings?
Apart from the humorous part, how does a cable from tire to nose cone influences the front wing ?
Old 7 May 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2876462)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!

About as serious as using grass as ballast?
Old 7 May 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2876474)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Apart from the humorous part, how does a cable from tire to nose cone influences the front wing ?
You're looking at the wrong thing. He's on about those tiny thin wires poking out from where the wing's been ripped off.
Old 7 May 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2876484)   #16
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most probably for strain gauges. Theere are strain gauges on the jet flaps and on the bottom of the wing mounting to directly mesure wing displacement/doenforce and predict failure/detect damage.

Too small to be current carrying, they are voltage only which is a give away. Can only be camera or strain gauges IMO.
Old 7 May 2011, 21:52 (Ref:2876487)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Maybe they are just ripped off parts from the front wing? Or is that too obvious?
Old 7 May 2011, 22:07 (Ref:2876493)   #18
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD Motorsport View Post
Most probably for strain gauges. Theere are strain gauges on the jet flaps and on the bottom of the wing mounting to directly mesure wing displacement/doenforce and predict failure/detect damage.

Too small to be current carrying, they are voltage only which is a give away. Can only be camera or strain gauges IMO.
Thank you, I didn't know that. Must be strain gauges then, its unlikely
they would wire both sides of the wing for one camera.
Old 7 May 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2876497)   #19
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Thank you, I didn't know that. Must be strain gauges then, its unlikely
they would wire both sides of the wing for one camera.
and the only reason for strain gauges is to measure flex!....really someone shud send it to mclaren to see what they make of it!
Old 8 May 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2876537)   #20
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
and the only reason for strain gauges is to measure flex!....really someone shud send it to mclaren to see what they make of it!
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they measure downforce.
Old 8 May 2011, 04:42 (Ref:2876557)   #21
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughGJohnson View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they measure downforce.
Strain gauges measure a movement not a force as that's what strain is but you can deduce the force from the size of the movement and I am sure you are right and they use them to measure downforce. What non engineers tend to forget is that all structures without exception move under load. If they didn't move at all there would be no restoring force and therefore no load could be carried. So from wings on F1 cars, dining room tables, gothic arches in cathedrals or electricity transmission towers they all move, bend, twist etc under load, it's how the world works.

I have followed the discussions on the flexing Red Bull wing desperately trying not to jump in and point out this rather pedantic point but hey in the end you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:05 (Ref:2877966)   #22
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe it is full of he sponsors stuff, apperantley it gives you wings