Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 13 Feb 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3368207)   #126
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Endurance Info explains that P. fillon expects at least 1 pit more in 2015
Old 13 Feb 2014, 23:36 (Ref:3368236)   #127
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally, I'm really excited about these possible changes for the start/finish line.
There really isn't much history left in that place, so any changes that will improve the race itself (and not done by Herman Tilke) is welcomed by me!
Certainly if it can keep them away from changing the actual historic peaces of track, like the Mulsanne!
Old 14 Feb 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3368332)   #128
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I wonder how this is going to work. The pit lane space as it is now is limited and making the individual garages smaller is no option either, they are pretty small compared to F1-sizes already.
My guess is that the ground floor of the race control building will be adapted to provide additional pit boxes - a straightforward extension of the existing line of garages.

In the short term, they could add a garage at the pit entry end in the gap between the existing garages and the race control building.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 07:36 (Ref:3368348)   #129
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I confirm that Pierre Fillon said "new garages for 2017", while it was translated as 2015, here on YouTube 1:24:30.
It means many transformations : I think we could see new garages under the module sportif of before it, at the chicane Ford level. New boxes beyond the present pitlane should be difficult.

Last edited by PascaLM; 14 Feb 2014 at 07:41.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3368352)   #130
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
My guess is that the ground floor of the race control building will be adapted to provide additional pit boxes - a straightforward extension of the existing line of garages.

In the short term, they could add a garage at the pit entry end in the gap between the existing garages and the race control building.
I agree. It's a shame that ACO was asked to build only 46 boxes for 1991.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 15:57 (Ref:3368478)   #131
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I agree. It's a shame that ACO was asked to build only 46 boxes for 1991.
That was such a damaging time for the sport, it's still being held back by its legacy now. The circuit has needed additional boxes for a long time.

A 46 car limit at Le Mans is - thankfully - absolutely unthinkable now.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3368539)   #132
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Okay so one additional garage for 2015 and 'some more' for 2017.

A few mixed messages but more garage space is music to our ears.
Old 16 Feb 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3369036)   #133
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more updates concerning changes to the runoff areas at the Porsche curves? Was sort of expecting more updates to the circuit at the February 13th announcements.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3369766)   #134
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Safety changes to the track announced (link from Sportscar 365).

Main thrusts appear to be in barrier and lighting improvements. The line of trees after Tertre Rouge will not be affected, other than additional barriers between them and the track. While I suspect this will be a somewhat emotive issue I think it's the right call on the ACO's part - motorsport has a hard enough time with its public image without cutting down a stretch of century old trees.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3369769)   #135
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does the ACO actually own the trees/the land on which they stand? Emotive for sure, but I agree with you Ian.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3369776)   #136
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I doubt the ACO own any of that land but suspect if they asked the local authority to cut the tress down it would be done without question
Old 18 Feb 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3369786)   #137
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But it shouldn't. The solution rumored to be chosen is the right one.
The trees are legendary and should stay where they are.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 18:50 (Ref:3369817)   #138
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah it's government property as mentioned in the article.

I feel good about the changes - even if they are let's say 'doing it on the cheap' in quite a few areas.

I don't think Tetre Rouge needed much work so glad they've stopped short of re-profiling it or anything like that. Hopefully we won't end up with piles of tyres scattered all over the track. But I suppose a few tyres being rearranged will take a lot less time than barrier repairs.

Corvette Corner was inevitably going to get changed. That's a shame but understandable. There doesn't seem to be any info about entry to the Porsche Curves? There's already rows of tyres there - as Lapierre can attest.

It will be interesting to see what difference the extra lighting makes.
Old 18 Feb 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3369834)   #139
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Yeah it's government property as mentioned in the article.

Sorry, missed that. I'm not so convinced that they would have got those trees chopped down quite so easily, Simon......
Old 18 Feb 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3369872)   #140
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In France if something needs to be done they do it first then consult people afterwards, unlike in the UK where we have endless consultations and then nothing gets done
Old 19 Feb 2014, 11:01 (Ref:3370030)   #141
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unfortunately I don't believe the words "improvement" and "lighting" should be matched together when talking about Le Mans...

The darkness is part of the challenge. This isn't the Singapore GP. Let's keep it unique.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 11:56 (Ref:3370048)   #142
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isynge - thanks for the link - had not seen that!

Little bit off topic but - it's not often that I hear the Corvette corner referred to as such. It seem to always be referred to as part of the the Porsche curves. Secondly, seems to me the right hander prior to Indianapolis needs a name! Think Audi has earned the distinction.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:05 (Ref:3370051)   #143
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Unfortunately I don't believe the words "improvement" and "lighting" should be matched together when talking about Le Mans...

The darkness is part of the challenge. This isn't the Singapore GP. Let's keep it unique.
The dark patches will remain dark, it's only the lit parts, which will become a bit more lit.
As i read it, the lighting will be placed at the Ford chicanes and entrance to the pits. So I assume its because the frequent spinners in the Ford Chicane and better visibility of the cars entering the pit.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3370052)   #144
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3370074)   #145
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
The dark patches will remain dark, it's only the lit parts, which will become a bit more lit.
As i read it, the lighting will be placed at the Ford chicanes and entrance to the pits. So I assume its because the frequent spinners in the Ford Chicane and better visibility of the cars entering the pit.
Maybe it's so they can ping the GT cars who take absolute liberties cutting that final chicane in the dark. Most of them completely straight-lined it during the night.
Old 19 Feb 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3370088)   #146
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
That's the way I interpreted it too. If you're spinning in those kind of light levels, then get better drivers.

I actually don't mind much of the lighting, because the cars still remain largely in darkness. But I hope the ACO don't take the magic away. When I watched Daytona last month, it really didn't do it for me seeing the cars fully lit up to the point where they didn't need headlights any more.

Seeing a pair of lights coming at speed towards you and trying to work out what's coming is all part of the Le Mans experience. Would be a massive shame if we lost that completely.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3370366)   #147
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I couldn't see a particular reason to remove the trees, the logical choice for me was to bring the barrier closer to the track as right there is was set a way back. You don't need to move it too far to get out of the influence of the trees.

Edit: the tyres will bring the impact point away from the trees

Last edited by wewantourdarbyback; 20 Feb 2014 at 13:26. Reason: Stuff
Old 20 Feb 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3370372)   #148
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Maybe it's so they can ping the GT cars who take absolute liberties cutting that final chicane in the dark. Most of them completely straight-lined it during the night.
And day...
Old 20 Feb 2014, 13:32 (Ref:3370373)   #149
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
Quote:
That's the way I interpreted it too. If you're spinning in those kind of light levels, then get better drivers.

I actually don't mind much of the lighting, because the cars still remain largely in darkness. But I hope the ACO don't take the magic away. When I watched Daytona last month, it really didn't do it for me seeing the cars fully lit up to the point where they didn't need headlights any more.

Seeing a pair of lights coming at speed towards you and trying to work out what's coming is all part of the Le Mans experience. Would be a massive shame if we lost that completely.
Be near impossible to install lighting around the 8.5 miles, and hideously expensive for the ACO, don't worry just yet.
Old 8 Mar 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3376470)   #150
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Corvette Corner getting its gravel trap

http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/le-...rage-corvette/