Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Feb 2019, 20:14 (Ref:3881953)   #1
jmpsebring
Rookie

jmpsebring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sebring staging area advice

Hello Friends, Now that Daytona is behind us, it's time to talk Sebring. My first was the 71 race, and my fave was the year I worked for Team Gunnar with the B-17 Panoz. One thing I've never done is arrive as a spectator before the gates opened on Wednesday. I'm driving 1000 miles from DC and arriving Tuesday late afternoon. I need somebody with knowledge, to give me some pointers.
Are there likely to be 100? 1000? campers staged outside? I hear they are let in before the main gate opens. Is it a drag race to the new bridge to get inside greenpark? Are they let in while it's still dark?

I think this will set records for attendance, so it's critical to get set up quickly Wednesday morning. Any hints and advice will be helpful.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 02:47 (Ref:3881989)   #2
jmpsebring
Rookie

Kinda odd....
After years of stories about people showing up weeks even months early at Sebring, I can't find anyone on YouTube or forums that have done it?? Perhaps it's only the party people and not actual racefans that do this?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 03:31 (Ref:3881992)   #3
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpsebring View Post
Hello Friends, Now that Daytona is behind us, it's time to talk Sebring. My first was the 71 race, and my fave was the year I worked for Team Gunnar with the B-17 Panoz. One thing I've never done is arrive as a spectator before the gates opened on Wednesday. I'm driving 1000 miles from DC and arriving Tuesday late afternoon. I need somebody with knowledge, to give me some pointers.
Are there likely to be 100? 1000? campers staged outside? I hear they are let in before the main gate opens. Is it a drag race to the new bridge to get inside greenpark? Are they let in while it's still dark?

I think this will set records for attendance, so it's critical to get set up quickly Wednesday morning. Any hints and advice will be helpful.
RVs/camper/trailers/boats/etc. staged - and lined up! - on the outside premises will be allowed into the track on Wed. 6 am and no sooner. So yes, it will still be dark at that time (sunrise is around 7:30). Yes, the line will be longer this year than ever but if I were to guess the number is much closer than 100 (and in previous years probably under that) than a 1000.

I believe general entrance doesn't open until 7 am but not sure. Best to contact the track - Ken Breslauer can answer all your questions without a doubt.

Check SIR and fan pages on Facebook for instance to stay up to date with the grow of the line up.

Word of advice: respect the spots that longtime camping guests have taken up over the years and be aware that with the new GP bridge a number of spots have disappeared and those folks need to relocate as a consequence. That will probably fill up 99% of Green Park!

Make friends while you're in line on Tuesday!
Old 5 Feb 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3882147)   #4
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
I have been going and camping in the same spot in Green Park for the past seven years. We always get there on Wednesday afternoon. From my experience there are tons of empty spots (other than trackside spots which are taken by regulars as pointed out above) if you arrive on Wednesday. People gradually start arriving on Thursday and it doesn't really fill in until Friday afternoon when people work a half day and then show up.

I imagine it will be busier this year, but I can't imagine it busy on Wednesday.
Old 5 Feb 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3882154)   #5
jmpsebring
Rookie

thank you all for taking the time to respond. Looks like the bridge is going to block vision far more than before. But...that's the way it is. Was hoping to get on the outside of Big Bend between the bridges but studying last years telecast shows it's now mostly viewing mounds. Past years I was under the trees by the esses and showers. Driving/parking I suspect will be much harder this year, so I plan on bringing everything I need. May be difficult to leave.

Wonder how the Toyota's did today?
Old 5 Feb 2019, 23:12 (Ref:3882160)   #6
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Driving/parking I suspect will be much harder this year, so I plan on bringing everything I need. May be difficult to leave.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Coming and going really isn't that difficult. I leave every day I am there (other than Saturday) to either go to the gym and shower, or go out for supplies. Obviously going out is no problem, getting back in is where the secret is. If you're facing the main entrance gate and it's backed up with cars and RVs trying to get in, just to the right of that (the entrance driveway right before the main one), there's a side entrance by the ticket office and will call. There's never any line to get back in there. As long as you have a pass-out you're good to go and can drive right back in and avoid the big line!
Old 6 Feb 2019, 01:45 (Ref:3882171)   #7
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
thank you all for taking the time to respond. Looks like the bridge is going to block vision far more than before. But...that's the way it is. Was hoping to get on the outside of Big Bend between the bridges but studying last years telecast shows it's now mostly viewing mounds. Past years I was under the trees by the esses and showers. Driving/parking I suspect will be much harder this year, so I plan on bringing everything I need. May be difficult to leave.

Lanky Turtle put up a video. Link is in the Toyota thread.
Old 6 Feb 2019, 03:56 (Ref:3882183)   #8
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
I stand corrected, gates open Wed. 3/13 at 6 am.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3888243)   #9
Nickberg555
Rookie

Nickberg555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello.. can anyone tell me where the tram route is going to? I see on the Sebring track map that there is a tram route.
Old 4 Mar 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3888249)   #10
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg555 View Post
Hello.. can anyone tell me where the tram route is going to? I see on the Sebring track map that there is a tram route.
Looks to me like the tram goes from Gate 4 (free daily parking) to the end of the midway, with some stops in between. It's an effective system as there is always room to jump on, unlike the worthless trams in Le Mans.