Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:07 (Ref:803446)   #1
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Rose Tinted Glasses Thread - The memories!

Heres an idea:
Post your 3 "classic" champ car memories that come to mind:
Mario Andretti sticking it in the wall in i think 93 at Bell Isle park? And them pulling it out of the tires and there being not a dent on the front wing...

Herta having the car land on top of him after crashing himself...

One of the Newman Haas Cars wrecking big time in the wet at surfers (Either tracy or andretti) and the on board camerea cutting out (*screaching tires* *static...*)
Old 4 Dec 2003, 09:02 (Ref:803491)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some assorted favorite moments in no particular order;

- Zanardi overtaking Herta in the corkscrew at Laguna in 1996

- Blundell, de Ferran and Boesel going three-wide for the win at a rainy Portland in 1997

- Zanardi's wild drive up through the field at Cleveland (can't remember the year, but it was one helluva drive)

- Kenny Bräck's great season in 2001 (albeit having his title chances messed up due to mistakes by others), with his daring move on CastroNeves at Chicago for the lead (and win) being one of the top moments
Old 4 Dec 2003, 16:12 (Ref:803866)   #3
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's mine!
- The Portland finish in 1997: great race!
- Michigan 2000: Montoya,Andretti,Montoya,Andretti!
- Jacques Villeneuve winning the Indy500 with a 2 lap penalty! that was a great moment in my life!
Old 4 Dec 2003, 17:41 (Ref:803943)   #4
mandretti39
Veteran

Lithuania
Clay, NY USA
mandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmandretti39 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine are all Michael Andretti moments.

His title winning season in '91.

Him winning in Australia in '94, his first race back from F1 and the first win for Reynard.

His win in Toronto in '01, his last, when he went from worst to first.

Last edited by mandretti39; 4 Dec 2003 at 17:42.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 17:56 (Ref:803954)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Michigan 2000. The Andretti-Montoya battle.
Michigan 1995. Pruett takes Unser on the last corner.
Portland 1997. The three-way virtual tie.

Hard to pick just three.

Zanardi's charge in Vancouver 1997.
The Mansell-Tracy battle in Cleveland (1993?)
Gil deFerran's win at Rockingham a few years ago.
Germany, just a couple of months ago.
Unser-Goodyear at Indy.
And Villeneuve at Indy.

It would be too easy to just go on and on...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 06:12 (Ref:804418)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nigel Mansell winning on debut at Surfers in 1993.

Have to repeat it, but Portland 1997 was something special indeed. Felt sorry for Raul Boesel in that as he was so close to a win so many times...

The many collisions between Paul Tracy and Dario Franchitti - it was almost comical.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 12:57 (Ref:804701)   #7
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Great thread, Hazza! My "classic" ChampCar memories are divided into two different categories.....The ones I've watched at home on TV & the ones I've seen in person......

On TV:
(1)Unser-Goodyear battle at the Indy 500
(2)JVill wins his first race in 94 at Road America
(3)JVill winning the LAST Indy500
(4)3-way photo finish in Portland/97
(5)"The Pass"....Zanardi overtakes Herta at the corkscrew at LS
(6)Zanardi charges through the field in Cleveland
(7)Greg Moore's first victory
(8)PacWest runs out of fuel on the last lap on Bell Isle (Detroit), handing the win to Greg Moore
(9)Greg Moore passes Jimmy Vasser on the last lap to win at MIS/98
(10)Andretti, Montoya, Andretti, Montoya!....MIS/2000
(11)PT wins his first ChampCar race at Long Beach/92
(12)Zanardi completes his 13 laps in Germany/2003
(13)Surfer's Paradise/2003....PT finally wins the Championship

In Person:
(1)The first ChampCar race I ever attended...Toronto/86! Watched some great drivers race...Andretti(s), Bobby Rahal, Mears, Sullivan, Unser(s) and Fittipaldi.....The sound, smell and sight was too much for my senses, but I LOVED it all and I was hooked for life! Btw, Bobby Rahal won that first Toronto Molson Indy...
(2)Watching PT beat Mario and Emmo to win his home race for the first time...Toronto/93
(3)Toronto 95....watched JVill race for the first time and he finished on the podium
(4)Toronto/98...Zanardi passes Michael Andretti at the end of Lake Shore Blvd. on the 2nd last lap and then celebrates with his famous donuts....

ChampCars have a long history, great moments, the most passionate fans and the future could be over the top! PLEASE don't let this series down, OWRS!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 13:01 (Ref:804708)   #8
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dov, you reminded me!

Zanardi's fairy tale victory at Surfers they year before he left for F1 - we thought it'd be the last time we'd see him!

boy it felt good watching him chuck thoose donuts!

oh and my fav. memory in person comes from this year @ surfers - eating a hotdog and watching the Dayle Coyne cars get overstear out of the first chicane...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 14:30 (Ref:804794)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1999-2001. Tons of great races and too many great things happened.

The first couple of hanford device races were pretty exciting.

A few of those come from behind races were great to watch: PT @ RA, Andretti @ TO (although his was a tad less dramatic), JV @ Indy.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:03 (Ref:804821)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also liked JV's win at Cleveland. Very cagey drive, when the car wasn't perfect. (Actually, I really enjoyed every race that JV was in.)

Honestly, the JV win at Indy was a bit of a let-down, as I was really looking forward to the last - what, 4? - laps, and then Goodyear screwed up. Imagine, it would have been a race to the wire between two Canucks - old guard and young gun. Full credit to JV for getting on the binders when the pace car slowed - Goodyear didn't react in the right way, and ended his afternoon. And I was thrilled by the entire race. The fight back from the 2 lap deficit for passing under yellow was marvellous. But the climax was a bit premature.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:06 (Ref:804827)   #11
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first time the cars took to the track at Rockingham in the UK.
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:58 (Ref:804900)   #12
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You guys talking about Portland '97 sure bring back a LOT of memories. If you ever get a chance to re-watch the tape, look at the corner workers driver's right coming into the chicane, and try to guess which one is me.

What I remember most about that race is that we couldn't actually see the cars coming down the front straight for all the spray, and it was one quick glance back into the rain when the noise said we had one coming past the end of the pit lane (to see who was coming) and then turn around to follow the car thru the chicane. On the third or fourth-last lap, Jimmy Vasser cut the entry to the chicane too close and spun/stalled his car at 45 degrees in the apex, rear end out. We knew there was an incredible dogfight for the lead going on, but of course we had to go waving yellow for the remainder of the race, cutting off one great passing zone at the entry and having our hearts in our mouths when the lead pack would slither thru around Jimmy. They diced the whole last lap and literally drag-raced down the strip at the finish -- we couldn't see *anything* but spray, we didn't know where any of them were. I'd worked Lakeshore at Toronto in the rain one year and this felt the same -- you had no idea when a car would come at you or from where because you couldn't see them. A test of your trust in your workers looking up-track, to pull you down if you needed it. But serious anxiety.

As I recall, two out of three at Portland blew the chicane on the cooldown, going straight thru at what I'd call dry weather speeds. Incredible. Gives me shivers even now.

keke
Old 5 Dec 2003, 17:57 (Ref:805003)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Greg passing Jimmy @ Michigan'98
2. Michigan'99. Such a thriller!!
3. Oriol's accident at Laguna Seca 2001. Scared myself rigid...
Old 6 Dec 2003, 02:51 (Ref:805324)   #14
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, this is more than three. In no particular order:

1. "The Pass" of course
2. Helio's first win! What a fun celebration!
3. Nigel's debut in 1993 - since he was the reason I started watching CART anyway.
4. the Rockingham race
5. seeing Gil win his two championships
6. The Fontana race in 2001 when Helio went from second-to-last to first in about 3 laps
7. watching Alex Zanardi walk around the pits (was it Toronto?) and then do the 13 laps last year
8. the Portland finish in 1997
9. Bruno doing an interview wearing Tony Kanaan's team hat in Surfers Paradise in 2002
10. talking to Greg Moore and Dario at the first autograph session I had ever been to
Old 6 Dec 2003, 03:13 (Ref:805327)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WOW....so many great moments...watched them all on TV or in person...

One that wasnt mentioned....

The Rick Mears-Gordon Johncock duel at Indy in the early 1980s...with Johncock in the Patrick Racing STP Wildcat holding off Mears in a new Penske chassis that had dominated that entire Month of May....350,000 people stood on their feet cheering the final 10 laps as they raced each other hard in the last 25 miles of the 500 that year...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 6 Dec 2003, 05:31 (Ref:805359)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2000 MIS Andretti-montoya
"the pass"
Zanaradi championship years and his 13 laps.

when it was just CART
long live CART.
Old 7 Dec 2003, 04:44 (Ref:805863)   #17
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Paul Jnr's last lap pass on Rick Mears in the 1983 Michigan 500.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:46 (Ref:806318)   #18
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Max Papis running out of fuel with the checkered flag in sight, then Juan Pablo's frantic, though unsuccessful, attack on Tony Kanaan on the final straight at Michigan, 1999.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 00:54 (Ref:806322)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I was at that one. Got pulled over at the border on the way home for DUI. (They told me to park my car, go eat at McDonalds, and don't come back for an hour. Sweet-talked my way out of alot of trouble).
Old 8 Dec 2003, 01:14 (Ref:806332)   #20
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
long beach 2003....first time marshalling abroad

rockingham 500.....first champcar race attended

zanardi...gettin back into the car at lautiz

earlier memories....michigan 2000

franchiti win at RA in 98

moreno winning his first race
Old 8 Dec 2003, 03:59 (Ref:806380)   #21
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The further mention of JV vs. Goodyear @ Indy reminds me... People forget how JV got his penalty. It was the exact same way as Goodyear, infact even less of an infringment. To this day Goodyear brings it up all the time. I can't fathom why. Goodyear didn't deserve a penalty, but on the same token, neither did JV. JV was penalized two laps while Goodyear was merely given a stop and go. He honestly thinks he got cheated of it. Take away the unfair penalties and he's 1.75 laps behind the lead and in second place. Goodyear is really dense.
Old 8 Dec 2003, 22:04 (Ref:807000)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moreno winning at Cleveland was really something special. Was there a dry eye in that pitlane after his victory?
Old 9 Dec 2003, 16:35 (Ref:807607)   #23
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some miscelleneous memories:
Danny Sullivan's spin-to-win Indy 500
Fittipaldi's last lap victory over Al Jr at Indy
Emerson's CART Championship season, which drew a lot of international attention to CART
The date I took to the Road America race in...I don't remember the year. I don't even remember who won. I remember who scored though.
Mario Andretti in the 75(?) Indy 500, without qualifying due to F1 commitments, started at the back and just tore through the field until retiring w/ a mechanical problem. I've never seen anyone come so close to the wall after turn 4, lap after lap. He was a demon that day.