Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1767910)   #51
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Excellent info; thanks, kipper!
Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:25 (Ref:1767920)   #52
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't there a class for Formula Ford engined cars in Clubmans at one time?
Old 16 Nov 2006, 17:43 (Ref:1767927)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - Sunday

We finally get to Sunday. A few photos taken early morning!

Old 16 Nov 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1768017)   #54
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
The last year, 84, the main success was van Kouwen at the Festival, though Markie Blundell won the SoT in a T644E I think.
Think it was a Graeme Glew 'Team Touraco' car?
Old 16 Nov 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1768025)   #55
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fleetray Racing?
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1768518)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Formula Ford 2000 Trophy Race

Took myself off to the inside of Becketts for this one, for a change, but it really isn't suitable when you are facing a low sun! So herewith some 'doctored' shots.

Ollie Hancock in his Van Diemen RF82 romped away from the field only to have a wheel loosen two laps from the end forcing him to pit. The win was taken by the similarly mounted Clive Wood, here:-

George Lambton finished 13th in his Reynard SF79:-

Second place was taken by 'Sideshow' Bob Davis in a Reynard SF78 (programme) or SF79 (Results list) and third by Andy Huxtanble, seen here in his Van Diemen RF83:-

10th was Geoffrey Pahley in another Van Diemen RF82:-

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Nov 2006 at 12:19.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1768827)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The Secretary's Challenge.

This contained another interesting mix of cars covering 40 years but I thought the driver line up was a bit special too, so I've listed them and their cars below, and in order of qualifying:-

1) Martin Short - Radical SR9 LMP2
2) Earl Goddard - Reynard LMP 900
3) David Leslie - Radical SR8
4) Dave Brodie - Ford Sapphire Cosworth
5) Frank Sytner - Lola T70 Mk3B
6) David Yates - Ford Mustang
7) Ted Williams - Cooper Monaco
8) Nick Whale - Porsche 911 Carrera RS
9) Alan Minshaw - Chevrolet Malibou
10) Richard Lloyd - Chevrolet Camaro
11) Barrie Williams - MGB
12) Alec Poole - MGB
13) Warwick Banks - MGB

Some names to conjure with there, I feel!

The 3 quickest cars (the moderns) peeled off into the pitlane at the end of the green flag lap to give the older cars a head start. Nevertheless the first 2 finished in the order that they qualified but David Leslie retired half way through the race. Photos of these 3 can be seen here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90740

I'm going to try to provide photos which will include every one of the other cars mentioned above, tomorrow!
Old 17 Nov 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1768871)   #58
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Wasn't there a class for Formula Ford engined cars in Clubmans at one time?
1600cc Formula Ford engined cars can still race in Classic Clubmans, subject to meeting age requirements.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1769032)   #59
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quickest of the rest and finishing 3rd after David Leslie retired was Frank Sytner in the wonderful ex Sid Taylor Lola. There aren't many better looking mid engined sports racing cars than this (maybe a P4 or a B16?):-

4th and 5th came the two Davids, Brodie and Yates:-

Alan Minshaw brough the big Malibou home 6th. Jason told me that this has a 6.3 V8 producing approx.630 bhp but also gave the impression that this was a really good car to drive, and not even bad in the wet!:-

7th went to Nick Whale in the Porsche 911 Carrera RS:-

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Nov 2006 at 09:59.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1769106)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
The 3 MGBs provide good entertainment (well look at the drivers!) and circulated together like this for much of the race although did eventually get split up. Alec Poole, seen at the back here came 8th, whilst 'Whizzo' in the droopsnoot pulled in to retire at the end of lap 11. Warwick Banks (he's been racing longer than I've been spectating I think!) was 9th.:-

10th and last of the finishers was Richard Lloyd in the Camaro, although, as you can see, he wasn't always in that position!:-

The third retiree was Ted Williams in his 5.3 V8 Cooper Monaco. Anyone know the history behind this car? I'm sure that a few Monaco's were fitted with Ford 289s when they arrived in the States and called King Cobras, but I'm guessing that this is a Chevy unit. I'm sure Frank Sytner turned up at the Goodwood Revival a few years back with a similar (same?) car with a polished aluminium body:-

All the rest of the pics, I'm going to put on this thread will be FF1600s!l
Old 18 Nov 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1769172)   #61
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More pics, then, from the WHT, although none from the final itself since the light was very poor by then. However you will know that the final finished behind the safety car and that Peter Dempsey won from Neville Smyth, both with modern Ray chassis.

You maybe surprised to learn that no damage ensued from this moment by James Hagan in his Crossle 32F. All those behind, Andrew Jones (148 - Swift SC92F), the hidden black car, Ian Gough (111 - Swift SC92F), Bernard Dolan (164 - Van Diemen RF92 - number changed from 212 in the programme?) and Steve Hare (10 - Van Diemen RF81) all got round safely and Hagan himself was also on his way very quickly. 'The car in front' is the Van Diemen RF00 (far too new, then!) of Chris Chisnall:-

Gordon Shedden swapped his Touring car for a Vector MG93:-

Dave Penlington's Royale RP26:-

Jason Minshaw raises his arm but I can't recall whether it was to signal his entry to the pits or a red flag period! The car is a Merlyn Mk20:-
Old 18 Nov 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1769199)   #62
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John, I think I was stood almost right next to you whilst you took those photo's.

Mind you every photographer was on the Luffield bank on the Sunday and there isnt much room there
Old 19 Nov 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1769335)   #63
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John - 164 is Nigel Dolan (Van Diemen RF86), no relation to Bernard. The hidden car is, I think, double Classic champion Paul Walton (Crossle 25F).
Old 19 Nov 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1769695)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
John, I think I was stood almost right next to you whilst you took those photo's.

Mind you every photographer was on the Luffield bank on the Sunday and there isnt much room there
Robin, I'm the old bewhiskered one with the smallest one ....... camera, I mean! I try not to feel too conspicuous with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
John - 164 is Nigel Dolan (Van Diemen RF86), no relation to Bernard. The hidden car is, I think, double Classic champion Paul Walton (Crossle 25F).
Thanks again, Ian. As you know, FF1600 is not one of my stronger points (what is, I wonder?!) so keep correcting me, please. Don't want to give out 'duff' info!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1769757)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I don't know why I didn't find it first time around, but here is No 212, so this really is Bernard Dolan in Van Diemen RF92. The third car in this trio is no.3! (not, I believe, 8) so this is Mike Edgar in RF90. In which case, the car in the middle is almost certainly the RF90 of Michael Vergers and this is the battle for the lead of Heat 6. They finished in the same order, covered by 1 second:-

The cars stream into Woodcote. I think that the car at the tail is no 117, the Lola T200 of Thomas Brimblecombe. Is this the car that Neil Fowler has been driving all this season (Ian?)?

Steve Jensen in his Swift SC92F:-

Neil Patten, RF90:-

Last edited by John Turner; 19 Nov 2006 at 18:58.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:00 (Ref:1769763)   #66
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner]I don't know why I didn't find it first time around, but here is No 212, so this really is Bernard Dolan in Van Diemen RF92. The third car in this trio is no.3! (not, I believe, 8) so this is Mike Edgar in RF90. In which case, the car in the middle is almost certainly the RF90 of Michael Vergers and this is the battle for the lead of Heat 6. They finished in the same order, covered by 1 second:-

Looks more like #8, Lee Mumford to me!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1769769)   #67
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Could be, but it spoils my theory! Can anyone confirm? Perhaps someone can identify the helmet of the middle driver, as well, if it is not Michael Vergers!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1769779)   #68
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The trio is Dolan, Vergers and Mumford.

The car that Brimblecombe was driving was indeed Fowler's regular car.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 00:56 (Ref:1769965)   #69
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was the young, cold looking one in the middle of the 3 halfway round Luffield.

Have any pics of us? (Not that we did much)
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1770120)   #70
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Have any pics of us? (Not that we did much)
Race no? I'll have a look, then!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 13:19 (Ref:1770627)   #71
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Well all weekend (Marshals) lol
Old 20 Nov 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1770713)   #72
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ah, sorry, now I understand; I thought that you meant that you were a photographer! You won't have been that close to me, then, as my pics are taken from outside the fence, from the spectators viewpoint, and usually from the highest point so, at the back of the terraces. As it happens, my next pics were going to be a sort of dedication to marshals although doubt you'll be in them, but you never know!
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1770753)   #73
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
They are bloody good pics anyway, with you having to contend with the big wire bugger
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1770755)   #74
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Robin, I don't seem to have any with you in it. However, I dedicate this post to all marshals and particularly those at Brooklands that weekend. Their's was a busy, and ultimately tragic and stressful one.

The first 3 pics show a sequence of events which entailed Adrian Campfield (5 - Swift SC93F) spinning, James Denty (130 - Royale RP16) failing to avoid him; both finished up undriveable in the middle of the track with the inevitable ensuing red flag:-

Here, the aforementioned Thomas Brimblecombe and Matthew Joynson provide more action for the marshals:-

I'm pretty close to ending this pictorial review of this event but for full reports and better pictures go here to see the final report of the fine FF1600.co.uk website:- http://www.ff1600.co.uk/index.php?id=1

Last edited by John Turner; 20 Nov 2006 at 17:12.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1770765)   #75
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
They are bloody good pics anyway, with you having to contend with the big wire bugger
Very kind of you to say so, sir!

I have one question, and it's not intended to wind anybody up, but just curious. There seemed an inordinate delay between Geoff Farmer completing his circulations in the Tyrrell and the start of the WHT Final. Have I missed an obvious reason for that?

My final picture of the day gives some idea of the light conditions, a few minutes after Peter Dempsey had taken the chequered flag:-