Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Jun 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3548180)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
2015 Race of Champions

The 2015 Race of Champions will be held on November 20-21 at the London Olympic Stadium.

www.raceofchampions.com

Entry list

It clashes with Macau, WEC, WTCC, Nascar, V8 Supercars and Turismo Carretera.

So possible entries include Formula 1, IndyCar, DTM, rally, rallycross and motorcycling drivers, plus the usual unemployed pay drivers.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 15:08 (Ref:3553057)   #2
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Three drivers confirmed: David Coulthard, Petter Solberg and Tom Kristensen.
Old 9 Jul 2015, 14:22 (Ref:3556999)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Vettel is back!
Old 23 Jul 2015, 20:19 (Ref:3560508)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Daniel Ricciardo and Mick Doohan are in. So there's six drivers announced.
Old 21 Aug 2015, 14:14 (Ref:3567496)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Jorge Lorenzo and Nico Hülkenberg are in.
Old 23 Sep 2015, 14:43 (Ref:3576373)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Felipe Massa and Nelsinho Piquet will be there.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 14:36 (Ref:3579737)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Jason Plato and Susie Wolff are in.
Old 21 Oct 2015, 14:24 (Ref:3584593)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Romain Grosjean is in.
Old 7 Nov 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3588900)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Jenson BUtton, Alex Buncome and Ryan Hunter-Reay are in.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 12:37 (Ref:3591253)   #10
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
The Race of Champions is this weekend.

Friday 20 November

19.00: ROC Celebrity Skills Challenge
20.00: ROC Nations Cup

Saturday 21 November

15.00: Race Of Champions
17.30: ROC Karting
Old 18 Nov 2015, 17:56 (Ref:3591306)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Seems you are the only one interested in this.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3591309)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm interested as well - flying down tomorrow!
Old 18 Nov 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3591350)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Who do I want to win? Same as ever - anyone but Plato! Although to be fair he's going to have to be going some to punt someone off at this event!
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3591468)   #14
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was debating going as I enjoyed the last couple of RoC events in London. Tickets weren't cheap though and I didn't fancy freezing my ass off in a stadium again, so I decided to skip it!

(Having said that, it's been relatively mild this week, so hopefully it won't be too cold for those of you going!)
Old 19 Nov 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3591477)   #15
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I'm going, but only for the main event on Saturday. This will be my first ROC in London but have seen it previously in Gran Canaria, Paris & Bangkok.
Temperature-wise I think it's going to be similar to Paris (it's getting very cold this weekend apparently) and significantly colder than the other two venues!
Whatever, it should be a spectacular show...
Old 21 Nov 2015, 21:30 (Ref:3592249)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well Vettel won in the final from Kristensen, there were some close races and it certainly looked slippy out there (and that was before the fluid went down).

I think it was a better venue for it than Wembley (but just as cold )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4100.JPG   IMG_4123.JPG   IMG_4132.JPG  

Old 22 Nov 2015, 03:19 (Ref:3592301)   #17
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
I tuned the rerun today on Fox Sports 3 (same channel as F1, Nascar, WEC, WTCC and WRC). I watched two races and turned it off.

There's no way to have interesting car races inside a stadium. Cars are heavy, so they turn very slow.

Unless they go the American way with some dirt sprint cars, these kind of races should be run with karts.

The Paris-Bercy must have been amazing. I've seen some Master de Pilotos in Argentina and they are great races. The Brazilian Desafio das Estrelas must be great too.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 17:39 (Ref:3592442)   #18
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's my vid from yesterday's action with all shot from the "cheepie" seats. If they took out the FMX and all the Terry Grant demos, as good as they are don't get me wrong, this would free up time to have held the kart race as Crofty said towards the end that the stadium had to be handed back over to owners by midnight sunday so that could be reason for it not being held.

Also if they are going to keep using short compact layouts, then maybe changing to cars that better suit it would help, sumthing like a WRC machine but in full gravel spec.

Anyhow here my vid, skip to 16:45 to see Pascal Wehrlein's demo with the Merc F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PtAiIGqPc
Old 22 Nov 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3592447)   #19
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I tuned the rerun today on Fox Sports 3 (same channel as F1, Nascar, WEC, WTCC and WRC). I watched two races and turned it off.

There's no way to have interesting car races inside a stadium. Cars are heavy, so they turn very slow.

Unless they go the American way with some dirt sprint cars, these kind of races should be run with karts.

The Paris-Bercy must have been amazing. I've seen some Master de Pilotos in Argentina and they are great races. The Brazilian Desafio das Estrelas must be great too.
They ran quite a variety of cars, certain cars definitely worked and gave a good show, others were dire. The races with the NASCARs and the mercedes made me cringe they were so unsuitable for the environment but the radicals were good and the ROC buggies just made me want to get into one and have a go, it looked about the most fun thing you could do and they looked totally at home in the stadium.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 23:45 (Ref:3592504)   #20
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at that footage you were sat behind were I was marshalling. It had been quiet until the Champ of Champs then someone pulled the pin out of the grenade of chaos.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3592614)   #21
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
They ran quite a variety of cars, certain cars definitely worked and gave a good show, others were dire. The races with the NASCARs and the mercedes made me cringe they were so unsuitable for the environment but the radicals were good and the ROC buggies just made me want to get into one and have a go, it looked about the most fun thing you could do and they looked totally at home in the stadium.
Yeah, I've seen a couple of clips of the NASCAR in action on Facebook and they look ridiculous on that track. Thankfully the last time I went to RoC they had picked a more appropriate selection of cars: they had a pair of Focus WRC's which sounded great in the stadium.

They used a couple of Marklund Polo rallycross cars at the Barbados RoC last year. Pity they didn't bring them back again for London.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 10:51 (Ref:3592638)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah, I've seen a couple of clips of the NASCAR in action on Facebook and they look ridiculous on that track. Thankfully the last time I went to RoC they had picked a more appropriate selection of cars: they had a pair of Focus WRC's which sounded great in the stadium.

They used a couple of Marklund Polo rallycross cars at the Barbados RoC last year. Pity they didn't bring them back again for London.
I'd agree that the selection of cars wasn't the best - the ROC buggies look great fun, the NASCARs sounded great but struggle to turn the corners at Brands so were very much out of place. I thought the X Bow and Radical were too similar and the Mercedes looked to have no grip at all. Something like the RX Lites would have been great - or maybe R5 Rally cars if they don't want full on WRC.

I thought it was interesting that when they were interviewing the drivers everyone seemed to want to avoid Priaulx in the draw as they thought he was the one to beat. I seem to remember he was impressive the last time I went to the ROC (at Wembley).
Old 23 Nov 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3592639)   #23
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I managed to win a pair of tickets, so went down on Saturday for the finale. I'm not sure I'd actually want to pay to watch, but it was an amusing way, if a very cold way, to spend an afternoon.

Agree that the Nascar and the Mercedes cars are too big for such a tight circuit, but also think that the Atom, Radical and KTM are similar cars in concept, and they could have some other cars in their place - Bowler wildcat or similar?

Its a bit of a shame that an event born from rallying seems to have little to do with rallying.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3592671)   #24
DemonDriverDan
Rookie

DemonDriverDan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there with 2 non-motorsport-loving fans who both thought the Euro-NASCARS were the best because it looked like the drivers really had to wrestle them around.

The Radicals were nice as they had a good sound but I agree that they were too similar to the KTM's and ROC buggies. The AMGs were just a bit ridiculous but as AMG sponsored the event, not particularly surprising.

I was a bit disappointed they didn't have more demos. From what I remember at Wembley they had a DTM and a WRC car doing demos along with the F1 car.

The turnout was pretty good on Saturday though. Hopefully it's enough for them to keep it an extra year in London and fine-tune the event next year
Old 24 Nov 2015, 14:07 (Ref:3593000)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with andrew here, rally or rallycross cars would be excellent for this event, lots of noise and anti lag, would be more impressive than a limousine for Gods sake!

I am amazied so many people actually go to events like this considering how dear the tickets were, dearer than just about any UK motorsport event really otehr than premier stuff like Goodwood, F1 and MotoGP.

I guess it is the NEC show thing, and being in London.

Leaves me cold I am afraid.

Now a Supercross event or something, proper stuff, bring it on. But a load of guys driving nonces around a tarmac car park... Cmon, could do better.