Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 11 Jan 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2611741)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Christmas F1 Book's acquired...

Fortunate to receive 3 lovely books for xmas, one of whiich i've finished already and looking forward to getting into the other two.

1/ Prost vs Senna 'The Story of the deadliest rivalry in F1' by Malcolm Folley

Overall a straightforward and enjoyable account I would say, based on what i've learned over the years. It's in some ways almost written in a fiction style with fact added over the fiction!!

Starts off with the Imola incidents and the profound effect it had on both men and then kind of moves through each drivers F1 careers chronologically until they met in 1988 at McLaren and on from there.

There are a couple of inaccuracies but they are more typo's than anything else.

If anyone is to get hold of a copy don't expect and shocking revelations but he has certainly done his research well enough.

2/ 'The Toleman Story - Last Romantics of F1' Chris Hilton
Have skipped through so far, but there's some cracking images of the F2 and F1 cars in there and plenty of text.

So far the question is did the F1 programme come a tad too late for Rad Dougall?!!!

3/ The Legendary Story of Frank Williams and his F1 team' by Maurice Hamilton.

Again, not read yet but having flicked through and scanned a couple of passages it looks pretty good with the whole history covered I think.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2611744)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, i thought you meant a Christmas themed F1 books. Now that would be something.....
Old 11 Jan 2010, 17:35 (Ref:2611746)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Oh, i thought you meant a Christmas themed F1 books. Now that would be something.....

nice one!!

Mind you, there probably was a christmas F1 race in 'The Tiger' years ago or something?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2612893)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Williams book is pretty decent, from what I have read whilst stood in WHSmith.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:51 (Ref:2613334)   #5
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Fortunate to receive 3 lovely books for xmas, one of whiich i've finished already and looking forward to getting into the other two.

1/ Prost vs Senna 'The Story of the deadliest rivalry in F1' by Malcolm Folley

Overall a straightforward and enjoyable account I would say, based on what i've learned over the years. It's in some ways almost written in a fiction style with fact added over the fiction!!

Starts off with the Imola incidents and the profound effect it had on both men and then kind of moves through each drivers F1 careers chronologically until they met in 1988 at McLaren and on from there.

There are a couple of inaccuracies but they are more typo's than anything else.

If anyone is to get hold of a copy don't expect and shocking revelations but he has certainly done his research well enough.
I'm about half way through it and I'm a bit disappointed tbh.

I wasn't expecting any stunning revelations as both drivers have had numerous tomes produced at this stage so there is not much more to learn.

I think that it reads more like an '80s/'90s championship report, albeit a good one
Old 14 Feb 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2633385)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
I'm about half way through it and I'm a bit disappointed tbh.

I wasn't expecting any stunning revelations as both drivers have had numerous tomes produced at this stage so there is not much more to learn.

I think that it reads more like an '80s/'90s championship report, albeit a good one
Yeah I think that's fair enough - not much seasoned arch enthusiasts won't already have known but I guess there was room for a book covering the 2 greats of that generation a gap in the market for younger people to learn about the greats from the last generation.

Finished the Williams book. There's some top anecdotes in there about SFW's keeping tabs on his staff, views on drivers (as there also is for Patrick Head)and simple determination not to be defeated by budget gathering!!