Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3932926)   #501
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think if you just stuck the regular Swindon unit in there the car would be a complete dog relative to other RWD options.
Why so? If it generates the same power, and has the same CoG as the 3-series/Q50, why should it be any slower if set up properly?
Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:42 (Ref:3932929)   #502
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Why so? If it generates the same power, and has the same CoG as the 3-series/Q50, why should it be any slower if set up properly?
I'm inclined to agree - it would lose its huge advantage in the corners but it's achilles heel (straigtline speed) would also be lost - so lap time would roughly even out? (things are never quite that simple though)
Old 9 Oct 2019, 14:53 (Ref:3932933)   #503
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It would then just be another RWD car only with worse aero than the BMW 330, Infinity etc. I could of course be proven wrong.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:24 (Ref:3932936)   #504
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It would then just be another RWD car only with worse aero than the BMW 330, Infinity etc. I could of course be proven wrong.
As previously:

Quote:
Not a perfect measure, but a good indication of cleanness through the air of the base models can be derived from the coefficient of drag and frontal area figures:

ModelCdArea m^2CdA
G20 3-Series0.232.220.51
Levorg0.26N/KN/K
Q500.26N/KN/K
Civic FK80.26N/KN/K
Civic FK20.27N/KN/K
A-Class0.282.20.62
Avensis0.28N/KN/K
VW CC0.3N/KN/K
A40.312.20.68
Giulietta0.31N/KN/K
F20 1-Series0.322.140.68
Giulia0.32N/KN/K
Corolla0.32N/KN/K
S30.342.130.72
Focus RS0.36N/KN/K
'Subaru claims a drag coefficient of 0.26 for the car, putting it in the same class as the BMW i8, Nissan GTR and new Jaguar XE.'
'Although it is an estate (wagon) car, it has a very strong drag coefficient'
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3932938)   #505
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they switched to another model it would likely have the same issues as now. If you look back at other seasons the car is slow in a straight line but nowhere near as bad as this year for whatever reason. The Subaru seems to have gone better at its crap tracks. It would be interesting to know why BMR, Cicely, Motorbase and PMR haven't been as good as last year, the old Honda is still up there, so it shouldn't a hardware issue.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3932941)   #506
HopAlong
Racer

Quote:
As previously:

'Subaru claims a drag coefficient of 0.26 for the car, putting it in the same class as the BMW i8, Nissan GTR and new Jaguar XE.'
'Although it is an estate (wagon) car, it has a very strong drag coefficient'
There is an article in Racecar Engineering on the Subaru Levorg with the lead designer Carl Faux saying how it had more drag then expected.

I've just checked and the racecar has a Cd of 0.411.

Last edited by HopAlong; 9 Oct 2019 at 15:55.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3932945)   #507
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
There is an article in Racecar Engineering on the Subaru Levorg with the lead designer Carl Faux saying how it had more drag then expected.

I've just checked and the racecar has a Cd of 0.411.
I appreciate that the NGTC builds will have a higher Cd than the road version (for obvious reasons). Do you know how that compares to the Cd of the NGTC versions of the 3-series or Q50?
Old 9 Oct 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3932952)   #508
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder where Jake will be next year?

https://www.facebook.com/16317398051...0271752803298/
Old 9 Oct 2019, 18:39 (Ref:3932964)   #509
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Subaru are gone. If those cars are on the grid they will be as independent entries. The brand is utterly irrelevant in the UK, given sales volume I do not see it making a penny. The days of boys and girls lusting after McRae and Burns replicas are long gone.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3932969)   #510
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Presumably ditching the boxer engine would also affect the CoG? Be interesting if another team did take the Levorg on and run them with the TOCA engines...
The reference car for rear wheel drive is now the Infinity now that Moffat had put a Toca engine in it.
So the Subaru/Bmw had to adjust their C.O.G once they had entered this car
Old 9 Oct 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3932972)   #511
HopAlong
Racer

Quote:
I appreciate that the NGTC builds will have a higher Cd than the road version (for obvious reasons). Do you know how that compares to the Cd of the NGTC versions of the 3-series or Q50?
Unfortunately not.

Its a shame I missed the other issues as it looks like it was a multi part and I only have the part with them using race tape to see its effect on drag, it s CD is actually 0.441 (I think I said 0.411). The is an issue with the Mercedes but sadly it only has delta values.

I think one of the reasons for the Subaru's drag is high (apart form the bonnet scoop) compared to the BMW is the fact the Subaru is narrower. Both road cars have the same drag (0.26), but the BMW only has to be made 63mm wider to the NGTC width of 1890mm, where as the Subaru has to be made 110mm wider.

I also found a table in an older magazine comparing superkarts to other racecars and it has "2005 BTCC" in the list and they were rated at a Cd of 0.354 to 0.431.
Old 9 Oct 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3932974)   #512
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Both road cars have the same drag (0.26), but the BMW only has to be made 63mm wider to the NGTC width of 1890mm, where as the Subaru has to be made 110mm wider.
This, I think, may be something that is not fully appreciated when cars are being selected to turn into NGTC models.

There would seem to be a logic in selecting as wide a base car as possible, to retain as much of the Cd that has been developed by the manufacturer.
Old 10 Oct 2019, 14:56 (Ref:3933138)   #513
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If, as has been suggested by various people, Sutton joins Moffat and uses it as a springboard to further his career, would it be a case of to infinity and beyond?
Old 10 Oct 2019, 19:39 (Ref:3933178)   #514
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
If, as has been suggested by various people, Sutton joins Moffat and uses it as a springboard to further his career, would it be a case of to infinity and beyond?

Maybe the BTCC could become The Disney Toy Story BTCC. Plenty of tantrums and toys getting thrown out of prams, ideal match!
Old 11 Oct 2019, 08:25 (Ref:3933239)   #515
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Unfortunately not.

Its a shame I missed the other issues as it looks like it was a multi part and I only have the part with them using race tape to see its effect on drag, it s CD is actually 0.441 (I think I said 0.411). The is an issue with the Mercedes but sadly it only has delta values.

I think one of the reasons for the Subaru's drag is high (apart form the bonnet scoop) compared to the BMW is the fact the Subaru is narrower. Both road cars have the same drag (0.26), but the BMW only has to be made 63mm wider to the NGTC width of 1890mm, where as the Subaru has to be made 110mm wider.

I also found a table in an older magazine comparing superkarts to other racecars and it has "2005 BTCC" in the list and they were rated at a Cd of 0.354 to 0.431.
This is why ive never really liked the bodywork rules of NGTC ruleset. They have to "balloon up" a smaller car with often quite ugly looking fibreglass arches in order to fit the min width rules. The S2000 and supertouring rules were the best. I know S2000 had massively increased arches too, but it was a percentage width of the whole car, the same with supertouring. In the case of ST they just massaged the width of the arches by a few cm and they looked much much better. You could take a distincily average looking 90s road saloon, put a ST kit on it and it instantly looked badass. I often think when they stick the NGTC kits on the road cars, it does the opposite, I personally think many of them look worse.

Last edited by Sodemo; 11 Oct 2019 at 08:30.
Old 11 Oct 2019, 19:53 (Ref:3933354)   #516
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
...and I thought it was just me!

They're only two current cars that I love the shape of the BTCC racer - the Audi A3 and the venerable CC. De-livery the CC to plain black and it's awesone.

Really dislike the Subaru and Astra in particular... the road cars are understated and elegant, the racers just too bloaty for my liking.

The Merc looks like a fat blob in both road and race forms.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3933426)   #517
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Goodyear to be tyre supplier from 2020 http://www.btcc.net/2019/10/12/goody...-through-btcc/
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:27 (Ref:3933428)   #518
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodyear announced as tyre supplier, which means nothing at all other than a branding change, as Goodyear own Dunlop anyway.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:41 (Ref:3933431)   #519
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Goodyear to be tyre supplier from 2020 http://www.btcc.net/2019/10/12/goody...-through-btcc/
Goodyear and Dunlop is the same company. Will still be Butler and co, same tyres, different badges.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3933432)   #520
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Goodyear and Dunlop is the same company. Will still be Butler and co, same tyres, different badges.
Maybe they should call it the John Bull British Touring Car Championship? Or am I the only one on here old enough to remember that make of tyres (and know that I was taken over by Dunlop years ago).
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:55 (Ref:3933438)   #521
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crees just said on trackside comms that he will definitely back on the grid in 2020.

Unless i misheard!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 12 Oct 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3933439)   #522
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
LMP2 switched from Dunlop to Goodyear and it wasn't just a rebranding exercise. Those are actually different, new tyres.
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3933441)   #523
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Nice to see a successful tyre company back in motorsport, first with LMP2, now with the BTCC. They've given so much to the sport
Old 12 Oct 2019, 09:31 (Ref:3933452)   #524
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Goodyear announced as tyre supplier, which means nothing at all other than a branding change, as Goodyear own Dunlop anyway.
Nothing except a huge vote of confidence in the BTCC from a World Wide brand.....
Old 12 Oct 2019, 17:42 (Ref:3933532)   #525
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Crees just said on trackside comms that he will definitely back on the grid in 2020.

Unless i misheard!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Dagnabbt, pesky kids!

Pretend you didn't here that, otherwise it'll ruin the suspense of the driver announcement hash tag fest...