Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2493790)   #1
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For anyone who watches Nascar in the USA....

It has been reported anonomously by someone on DalyPlanet that Primary booth announcer for TNT, Bill Weber, has been fired after a Hotel confrontation during the week.

I must say, if this is true, I am actually....thrilled, since he made the broadcast unbearable with his "I'm better than everyone else" attitude, and manipulated drama. Not to mention that he frequently argued with the other broadcasters off air. The whole incident proves what a brat he really is.

I really hope I am not alone in my opinion here.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2493813)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
His voice does annoy me - i prefer dw & his crew who did the first 15 races or so...

Was he with a lady of the night
Old 3 Jul 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2495471)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
His voice does annoy me - i prefer dw & his crew who did the first 15 races or so...
....and larry mac's voice is not annoying?! i love the guy but he does NOT have a broadcast voice.
like MJ, i prefer PRN/MRN; best sports broadcast crew in the biz; period.

not to start a debate but mike joy and company never shut up during the broadcast until they are forced to during the "crank it up" portion.
you know that DW lips are flapping throughout the enitre broadcast.....they just turn his mic on and off at certian intervals.

boogiety boogiety
Old 30 Jun 2009, 10:07 (Ref:2493819)   #4
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
I had to concede, His replacement was quite good.

I still prefer PRN/MRN however.
Old 1 Jul 2009, 09:28 (Ref:2494348)   #5
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Sadly, Weber is reported to be back for the Daytona broadcast. He really must have begged for his job back.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2495242)   #6
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
UPDATE: it turns out that he is gone from the remainder of the TNT broadcasts this year. Ralph Shaeen is the replacement.

Good riddance.

It turns out that he flipped out on hotel staff.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2495463)   #7
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure how much better ralph is....ANYone other than bill. i've always thought he was kind of a, er....uh....jerk.

i wish david hobbs still called stockcar races.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2495503)   #8
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Actually I agree, FOX has become BY FAR the worst, thanks to a certain addition that isn't even human!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the FOX cup thing they gave to Tony was pointless.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 01:50 (Ref:2496343)   #9
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad, I really don't like Ralph Sheheen, in any of his broadcasts.

What we need is FOX coverage year round. Sure, digger is annoying, but I don't watch pre-race anyway. DW, Larry Mac and Mike Joy are just about the best team ever, matched only by Hobbs, Matchett, and Varsha.

In an unrelated matter, wouldn't it be awesome to have a Race of Champions with DW and Hobbs as the commentators.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2496371)   #10
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
It has been reported anonomously by someone on DalyPlanet that Primary booth announcer for TNT, Bill Weber, has been fired after a Hotel confrontation during the week.

I must say, if this is true, I am actually....thrilled, since he made the broadcast unbearable with his "I'm better than everyone else" attitude, and manipulated drama. Not to mention that he frequently argued with the other broadcasters off air. The whole incident proves what a brat he really is.

I really hope I am not alone in my opinion here.
He came close a few times to arguing with them on air. I sensed major tension just watching the broadcasts. He was very 'nose in the air' and made more than one snide comment on air to Kyle Petty.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 05:35 (Ref:2496374)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
TNT and Fox both provide annoying coverage. They are just annoying in their own way.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2497366)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Ken Squire doing these days??
Old 8 Jul 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2497562)   #13
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Call me a whiner and hard to please and whatever...but I just dislike all 3 networks' coverage. TNT is the best, with or without Bill Weber. Ralph's a step up from Bill, and is a lot better at NASCAR than he was when he did F1 and does bikes, and I know he can't control it or anything, but his voice is just so irritating that no matter what he says, I don't want to listen to it. I do like Wally and Kyle, though, they make the broadcast watchable. They need Allen Bestwick back up there. FOX's coverage is a bit over the top for me, but I do like Mike Joy and Dr. Dick Berggren. ESPN has solid pit reporting, not much else.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2497985)   #14
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
^ Actually, I had yet to meet anyone who likes ESPN's Pit repoters. Dale Jarrett I think is the best part of the broadcast, so I keep wondering why they switch between him and Rusty Wallace all the time.
Old 8 Jul 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2498031)   #15
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I don't like Vince Welch a whole lot (awesome guy, not so awesome reporting in NASCAR or IRL), and Shannon Spake seems to struggle a lot. So I guess I, like Shannon, had no idea what I was saying .
Old 10 Jul 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2498784)   #16
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
Spake and Little are complete jokes IMO who got their jobs just for being women.

Not to take anything away from the few women who actually are good at reporting.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 05:56 (Ref:2499806)   #17
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
On to ESPN.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2501639)   #18
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's interesting to read this thread as the announce crews are one of the reasons I don't watch Nascar anymore (well, at least not every week). Both Fox and NBC are terrible with Fox putting together one of the worst announce/play-by-play crews in the history of mankind. I believe this is a huge reason for the reduced ratings. How many times do I need to hear "cautions breed cautions" or take a look at the cut-away car?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2501650)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe it's just me being British, but I'm actually not that bothered by the Fox team and have no problems with them. TNT are solid, but ESPN...
Old 17 Jul 2009, 03:05 (Ref:2503079)   #20
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
-Fox IMO had usually been the best, But they just missed it this year.

-TNT, despite all the commercials, was decent, but really got better once Weber was axed.

Since ESPN broadcasts the full Nationwide series,I already have an idea how they will be.

In all, TNT impressed me the most this year.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2503218)   #21
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of Fox... how annoying, lame and stupid is Chris Meyers on a scale from 10 to 10?
Old 17 Jul 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2503590)   #22
Aloysius
Racer

Aloysius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm completely shocked at how many people don;t like the FOX broadcast team. DW, Larry Mac, and Mike Joy are brilliant together. They are only surpassed by Speed's F1 team. I actually have a hard time watching older Nascar races, back with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarett. They are good, but just no where near the brilliance of DW and crew. DW has an amazing peronality, Larry Mac knows his pit strategy, and Joy is the perfect referee. The only thing they are missing is brutal honesty of David Hobbs.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 14:09 (Ref:2523726)   #23
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
I'm completely shocked at how many people don;t like the FOX broadcast team. DW, Larry Mac, and Mike Joy are brilliant together. They are only surpassed by Speed's F1 team. I actually have a hard time watching older Nascar races, back with Benny Parsons and Ned Jarett. They are good, but just no where near the brilliance of DW and crew. DW has an amazing peronality, Larry Mac knows his pit strategy, and Joy is the perfect referee. The only thing they are missing is brutal honesty of David Hobbs.
Darrell Waltrip and Larry McRenolds are characatures of Southern men. Not only is it nails on a chalkboard to me, I believe that they reduce the credibility and relevance of Nascar. It's like watching pro-wrestling. Boogity-Boogity.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 20:30 (Ref:2523934)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
bring back Eli Gold and Buddy Baker along with TNN.
Old 20 Aug 2009, 03:54 (Ref:2524765)   #25
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
bring back Eli Gold and Buddy Baker along with TNN.
I agree a million percent.

Also, I'd being back American Sports Cavalcade.