Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2002, 16:28 (Ref:225908)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
itv vs sky

after watching all 4 free practice sessions and qualifying on sky, then watching the "non-live" qualifying on itv, i've finally realised what i've been missing on itv's "free service"...........virtually everything!!

i know that there has been a couple of debates on this forum about the "should i....shouldn't i" pay £12 for sky, but i recommend thatif you try it just once, you will be hooked!!

for anybody else whose been watching sky also, do you agree??
Old 2 Mar 2002, 16:56 (Ref:225936)   #2
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree - My only comments about sky is that the you need to be able to have the Timing screen and either the master or super channel on screen at the same time - or at least they need the super channel audio over on the Timing screen.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 17:48 (Ref:225985)   #3
Mr Hahn
Racer

Mr Hahn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The coverage is amazing, the commentry is diabolical. I couldn't stand to listen to it during the qualifying, it was almost embarassing listening to them trying to think of things to say. Certainly no rapport between the commentators like with Murray and the various people he's worked with.

I think if/when digital has the option of viewing two screens at once, it will be worth the money, until then, I will stick to ITV.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 18:31 (Ref:226009)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV did cover qualifying LIVE, because I taped it and kept flicking over to see what they had.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 18:49 (Ref:226028)   #5
SILVERS95
Veteran

SILVERS95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV's coverage was really very poor when you compared it to sky........i taped itv , and watched sky live. I agree with MR V , as i honestly didnt know what ive been missing with ITV until i watched it on Sky . Sky was fantasic coverage , they obviously have more trackside cameras as well which means that you miss very little .
Even Brundle on ITV admitted that he had to look out of his window at the big screens at the circuit ( which show the digital feed ) to see what happened to DC when he had his tangle with Villenueve , as it wasnt that clear on ITV.

F1 has just got the boost its needed for years. I'm not slagging off ITV at all , Im just saying that Sky has just moved the goalposts by a mile !!!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 18:49 (Ref:226030)   #6
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, i saw it live on ITV.

and besides... not everybody has Sky... there are more digital TV providers... and Sky isn't all that good... a friend of mine who actually tried in 2 different flats was told by the Sky guys he lived in an area where it was impossible to set the mini-dish to get it.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 18:54 (Ref:226036)   #7
SILVERS95
Veteran

Also Ben Edwards and John Watson were very good , they had Damon Hill and Perry McCarthy in the studio as well.

I do agree though that it can be improved by doing a picture in picture screen. But hey , now i'm just being fussy. All live practices with no ad breaks , live radio feeds from the drivers to pit radio , We even heard JPM have a right moan at his engineer for sending him out on a damp track for 1 lap .

BRILLIANT !
Old 2 Mar 2002, 20:12 (Ref:226088)   #8
Crank Case
Racer

Crank Case should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I enjoyed the Sky coverage.
Damon chatting with EJ gave me a bit of a chuckle.
The pit to car radio gives a bit of insight wasn't Montoya upset about going out in the rain.
The garage shots were good they must have a camera on the ceiling.
What I would like to see is a choice of sound with a choice of camera.
Perhaps an option to have picture in picture.
It would be nice to select which car you want to watch on board, equally which garage you want to peak into.
Think I'd need an extra TV for all the options though
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:10 (Ref:226128)   #9
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben and John were just superlative! Cant wait till Warm-up!!!! - just 50 mins to go...
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:33 (Ref:226145)   #10
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Having watched Sky's coverage up to know, I will watch the race on ITV and tape Sky's coverage.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:45 (Ref:226154)   #11
Crank Case
Racer

You would rather watch ITV than this?

I'll never watch ITV again ever!!
I can't stand the channel ever since they took F1.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:53 (Ref:226159)   #12
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this is truly disgusting. i am totally gutted today. i have just witnessed the qualifying and what a shambles it was. DC goes off and it takes 15 minutes to get a replay - when you do its so far off you cant tell what happened.

i am sick of this now - F1 is a sell-out. it ignores its true fans. i tell you what will happen: the occasional viewers who would get hooked on F1, will be turned off by the absolutely camera angles and poor local producers. im sorry but i have reached breaking point - everybody raves about this digital service and im sure its the dog's but im sorry but this is just not fair - what about the fans who havent money to waste on hundreds of channels and £12 a race (in total around £200 just to get it ready for the PPV) - what about us? dont we deserve any of this? face it guys, F1 is now a sport with an elitest fan base thats lost touch with its fans.

i hope bernie is happy rolling around in his money, you cannot tell what i'd like to do him right now - he is a pathetic ancient -wit who is a total sell out and instead of a heart you'd find a bottom line.

he can go get his sky remote control and cram it up his.....

this will probably get pulled but im past caring, i needed to let my feelings on this one

Last edited by Number Juan; 2 Mar 2002 at 21:55.

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Mar 2002, 21:55 (Ref:226163)   #13
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been following it all weekend on digital. It certainly opens your eyes. They obviously have their feet a lot further under the table as far as access to the teams go. The Edwards/Watson commentary is better than Allen/Brundle IMO, but you also had the option of Lorenzo/Hill/McCarthy during quals on the master channel.

I probably won't buy all the races, since I won't be able to skip all Fridays to watch the Practice and I'm too lazy to get up that early on Sat & Sun.

Oh well, looks like it's time for Warm up.
Old 2 Mar 2002, 22:06 (Ref:226168)   #14
Crank Case
Racer

I totally agree with you Number Juan
It wouldn't suprise me if it was Bernies plan to give ITV the rights just so he gets more signing up for F1 digital.
If it went back to the BBC and Eurosport like it used to be I certainly wouldn't pay for the digital service.

As far as the expense goes I'm not going to any races this year and I don't go out much so £12 isn't alot, you don't get many drinks for £12 now days (That's what I told the misses anyway she bought it )
Old 2 Mar 2002, 22:10 (Ref:226172)   #15
Lazarus
Rookie

Lazarus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually switched to the DC view before he crashed and saw the whole thing LIVE... hehe. I was quite lucky actually, i just decided experiment with the different views
Old 2 Mar 2002, 22:20 (Ref:226186)   #16
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In australia we don't even get the choice as to do we want it. Personally, I'd LOVE it!!!!!
Old 2 Mar 2002, 22:24 (Ref:226190)   #17
Crank Case
Racer

I notice F1onboard have a quite few clips up already from Melbourne.
Including the DC incident.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 10:17 (Ref:226646)   #18
SILVERS95
Veteran

what great coverage it was from the race on SKY. I feel sorry for Martin Brundle as he is now stuck with James Allen , while the brilliant commentry pair of Edwards/Watson is doing a better job on Sky.
people have said to me that its a rip off having to pay £12 for the pleasure of watching the race on SKY , but then those same people go and buy a takeaway or something on a saturday night costing just as much . I would rather chuck something in the microwave and spend the £12 on SKY and get fantasic coverage of the sport i love for a whole 3 days.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 11:50 (Ref:226713)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
I will never be ablt to watch Sky's coverage of a race as I can't watch it in my bedroom.

I will have ITV for most of the year.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 12:25 (Ref:226739)   #20
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95
I would rather chuck something in the microwave and spend the £12 on SKY and get fantasic coverage of the sport i love for a whole 3 days.
well, i don't have Sky, i have Telewest because it was the best deal (loads of channels, phone and unlimited internet) and even if i was on sky i know i couldn't afford £24 a month for something i can get for free.

if (god forbid) they start showing it only on pay per view... i would probably go to a pub where i'd nurse a pint for 3 hours.

not everybody has good jobs...
Old 3 Mar 2002, 13:03 (Ref:226755)   #21
SILVERS95
Veteran

DID I SAY I HAD A GOOD JOB ?? dont think so !!....going down the pub sounds good though , what i was saying was , in todays world , people spend alot of money on things which is just part of everyday life..but are usually nothing special , just run of the mill things. Where i would rather cut out a couple of these things and spend it on something that i will really get alot out of . And beleive me , i think i certanly got my £12 worth out of SKY this weekend.

Angel ..you say that you wouldnt pay money for something that you get 4 free , well , let me just say , that what you got on sky compared to ITV was certainly not the same thing by a long way.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 13:04 (Ref:226759)   #22
SILVERS95
Veteran

dont know why i put ANGEL....I meant to put CARLA O ......think it must be lack of sleep from the past 3 days .
Old 3 Mar 2002, 13:25 (Ref:226776)   #23
The Red BARon
Rookie

The Red BARon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chanimal

Hello to you all. And here is post no.2 from the world's only BAR fan.
Here are my feelings having forked out the £12 for UK digital coverage:

In car 1 - V. disappointed there was only one in car feed - I mistakenly thought you could choose any of the onboard cameras you wanted to watch...sigh, the naivety of youth (who am I kidding)...or perhaps I didn't read the blurb properly...
In car 2 - Also disappointed there was no overlay of the commentary on this screen (also the case on the two alternative track views to the main producer's cut).
Commentary -
Perry McCarthy - brilliant, very witty and amusing.
John Watson - Okay but comes up with some odd theories about incidents and technique for a former grand prix winner.
Ben Edwards - very good - much better than James Allen.
Matt "Turdwipe" Lorenzo - see nickname.

Overall an extremely exciting way to watch the race - I was being a complete chanimal* with the remote flicking around like the Crazy Inglese** I am.. Also great to see all the practice sessions, loads of behind the scenes build up, great access to drivers and team owners. Lots of in car coverage (but more please!), good commentary talent in Edwards and McCarthy (if not the other two).

Sad but true - I will probably fork this money out each time there is a race. But then again I've got money to burn, as I've recently given up smoking Marlboro...whoops, I mean Lucky Strike, and they cost £5 for a pack here in the UK.

*chanimal is a registered trademark of The Red BARon.
**Crazy Inglese is also a registered trademark of The Red BARonmile:
Old 3 Mar 2002, 13:38 (Ref:226789)   #24
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by SILVERS95
DID I SAY I HAD A GOOD JOB ?? dont think so !!....going down the pub sounds good though , what i was saying was , in todays world , people spend alot of money on things which is just part of everyday life..but are usually nothing special , just run of the mill things
i know what you mean, and i didn't say you have a good job. sorry it just gets to me that people like my housemate who get loads more money than me complain about being skint.

coz i don't go to the pub more than once every two weeks, i don't go clubbing more than once a month, i don't go often to the cinema... i was basically just talking about me, i can't spare £24 a month...

sorry if i came across all wrong...
Old 3 Mar 2002, 13:40 (Ref:226793)   #25
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Red BARon I'm a BAR fan too!

Is it just me or is ITV showing about 3 times as many in-car views as they did before?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"