Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:22 (Ref:539074)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stop Me And Buy One

Is there any truth in the rumour that an Ice Cream Van took a wrong turning on Sunday and ended up on the track at Post 38 at Donington?
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:23 (Ref:539079)   #2
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, even after the rescue unit gave him instructions at the Dunlop bridge.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 16:26 (Ref:539080)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The batteries on my scanner were running low, and I couldn't make out whether Di had asked for his name and company or for two 99's, a strawberry Mivvi and a bubble-gum flavoured screwball!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 17:20 (Ref:539176)   #4
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Howarth
Yes, even after the rescue unit gave him instructions at the Dunlop bridge.
Makes you wonder about the quality of those directions !!
Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:00 (Ref:539209)   #5
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Stop Me And Buy One

Quote:
Originally posted by observer
Is there any truth in the rumour that an Ice Cream Van took a wrong turning on Sunday and ended up on the track at Post 38 at Donington?
Good to see that someone has finally acted on my suggestion, given to the Chief Marshal at Anglesey in August 2001 after a particularly hot day, that the ice cream van follow the course car round so that all the marshals could have a free ice cream.

Old 17 Mar 2003, 18:08 (Ref:539219)   #6
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
The incredible thing was, he passed a couple of VSR6's under the bridge
Old 17 Mar 2003, 19:12 (Ref:539299)   #7
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pah, it's happened before!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 09:25 (Ref:539903)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
It's never happened at Mondello. I think I shall have to write a searing editorial in the next MP demanding to know why marshals in the UK get ice cream delivered to their posts and we don't! It's an OUTRAGE!

I DEMAND ICE CREAM!

There IS this white van that drives round the circuit with blue lights on the top which pretends to take your order. You ask them for a 99 with 2 flakes - and they hold up 2 fingers to you - which I assume means they're confirming the "2 flake" order. But then they drive off *sigh*

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 18 Mar 2003 at 09:26.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 10:30 (Ref:539952)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
It's never happened at Mondello. I think I shall have to write a searing editorial in the next MP demanding to know why marshals in the UK get ice cream delivered to their posts and we don't! It's an OUTRAGE!

I DEMAND ICE CREAM!

There IS this white van that drives round the circuit with blue lights on the top which pretends to take your order. You ask them for a 99 with 2 flakes - and they hold up 2 fingers to you - which I assume means they're confirming the "2 flake" order. But then they drive off *sigh*
It's very similar on the midland hills. The personnel have even been know to turn-up at speed whilst still wearing the aforementioned ice-cream. Never bring us any though !!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 12:50 (Ref:540050)   #10
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This Ice Cream van wasn't driven by someone called Ernie was it?
Old 18 Mar 2003, 12:54 (Ref:540057)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
No that was the fastest milk cart in the west.....
Old 18 Mar 2003, 12:57 (Ref:540062)   #12
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
As pulled by Trigger!!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 16:58 (Ref:540297)   #13
alan-g
Racer

alan-g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
It's very similar on the midland hills. The personnel have even been know to turn-up at speed whilst still wearing the aforementioned ice-cream. Never bring us any though !!

If you are referring to the AMOC meeting at Loton Park then there two points to note:

1. please ensure that the Icecream Man is there at the start of lunchbreak

2. a 1.7 non-turbo diesel hardly equates with speed
Old 18 Mar 2003, 17:51 (Ref:540332)   #14
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by alan-g
If you are referring to the AMOC meeting at Loton Park then there two points to note:

1. please ensure that the Icecream Man is there at the start of lunchbreak

2. a 1.7 non-turbo diesel hardly equates with speed
Unfortunately I have never been there for the AMOC meeting and so cannot pass comment. But, I do know most of the Rescue personnel, and as such, can state that they will not bring you ice-creams!! They'll ask you to fetch them but..........................

if you want one, then fetch your own!!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:46 (Ref:540364)   #15
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As pulled by Trigger!!
Was Roy Rogers ever a marshal? I know he was a cowboy but....
Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:51 (Ref:540370)   #16
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Quote:
Ah! Thats only trainees that do that you know, the ability to drink tea AND scoff ice cream on the way to a shout is a highly trained manoevre an should never be carried out by untrained personnel without the aid of a safety net....or bib!

But Crazystu...while we are on the subject of ice creams...remember the Chief marshal at Loton who stood watching his troops working under the blazing sun while scoffing ice cream? don`t remember the name of him do you?
Old 18 Mar 2003, 19:07 (Ref:540384)   #17
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo

But Crazystu...while we are on the subject of ice creams...remember the Chief marshal at Loton who stood watching his troops working under the blazing sun while scoffing ice cream? don`t remember the name of him do you?
No, can't remember his name either. I do know of the name of the Course Controller that was was on "stand-down" at the time but maybe that's another story!!!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:21 (Ref:540644)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
and the story is.....?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 00:16 (Ref:540785)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Surely if it's a speed event, they should be delivering Speed? My badge even says 'Experienced Speed' on it, but I deny the allegation entirely. Anyway, we're better organised than that, we always send the Doctor to fetch bacon butties. If he's anything of a medic, he'll pick the lowest cholesterol ones.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 08:42 (Ref:540955)   #20
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Quote:
and the story is.....?
Yes...come on crazystu....tell us a story..pleeeease !!!

Bloody hell, sounds like points of view doesn`t it?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 08:50 (Ref:540961)   #21
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Surely if it's a speed event, they should be delivering Speed? My badge even says 'Experienced Speed' on it, but I deny the allegation entirely. Anyway, we're better organised than that, we always send the Doctor to fetch bacon butties. If he's anything of a medic, he'll pick the lowest cholesterol ones.
With ketchup?
Old 19 Mar 2003, 12:45 (Ref:541109)   #22
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If he's anything of a medic, he'll pick the lowest cholesterol ones.
Unlike 'Doctor Bob' whos was on post with us at the Donington Euro GP. He insited on repeatedly supplying us flag marshals with greasy do-nuts all meeting (but at least they managed to help ward off the hypothermia, as we where 15 foot up it the air at post 17 for three days of 'slight wet')
Old 19 Mar 2003, 20:53 (Ref:541523)   #23
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Quote:
and the story is.....?
Once upon a time...........
there was this Chief Marshal........
who stood down and became a Course Controller..

And so our story starts....... on a very hot day at loton Park. (just outside Shrewsbury, see Loton )

Mrs CrazyStu Click Here and Soon-to-be-Rescue One Rescue? were on duty at Post 7 at Loton Park. After a particularly heavy session of pushing cars to send them down on a batch change, the aforementioned pair returned to post, sweating profusely, and looking forward to a couple of minutes respite before the arrival of the next batch of cars.
After recovering her breath, MrsC glanced over to the spectators area, shaded by the large trees, only to see....

Mr C sitting on one of the benches. This in it's self was not a problem but...... remembering the type of day this was, to see him there in just a pair of shorts and eating an ice-cream, in plain view, was just too much!!!!

Needless to say, Soon-to-be-Rescue's body actions, when he realised the situation, transferred words that cannot be reprinted here!!!!!

To say that I have not been allowed to forget that day would be an understatement!!!!

But then............

why would I want to??????
Old 20 Mar 2003, 02:35 (Ref:541788)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
With ketchup?
Brown sauce. This is the Midlands, you know. We also go with rice pudding with cold milk and jam and deep fried fried bread, not that wussy stuff fried in ¼" of low fat oil.
Old 20 Mar 2003, 11:19 (Ref:542011)   #25
Tony Harman
Veteran

Tony Harman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Was Roy Rogers ever a marshal? I know he was a cowboy but....
No Actually Roy Rogers used to sprint and hillclimb a Haggispeed Mk6 D, honestly !