Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Dec 2012, 03:53 (Ref:3174848)   #51
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with all of that, and Whincup coming out yesterday on Fox Sports pretty much echoing all of the above. If Stoner was going to the main game, I doubt Whincup would have made the noises he made yesterday, in PR terms it'd be counter productive.

As well I'll go with a strong source who is rarely wrong, who assures me Stoner/Development Series is a done deal...
Old 4 Dec 2012, 08:35 (Ref:3174895)   #52
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Stoner got any sort of 4-wheel racing licence now, and would he even be able to get the required licence for the main game next year, without some serious string-pulling?
Old 4 Dec 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3174911)   #53
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
There's more than one Aussie in Valentino's crew.

It makes no sense to me to run Stoner in the main game. He has no car racing experience whatsoever and he would be flogged week in, week out.

Look at how far off the pace most of the Gold Coast co-drivers are and they are established and experienced racers. I don't care how much talent Stoner has (and I do consider him one of the all time greats) he's starting from scratch here.

He would be lucky to get in the car more than three times before the season started given the restrictions on testing.

When he finally got to races, he would not learn any race craft because he'd be circulating by himself at the back every week.

At least in the Dev series, he'd have people to race against, although I'd be surprised if he was better than mid-field, even with a superior car, in the early few rounds.

It would be a complete waste of time and money for everyone and, importantly, Red Bull wouldn't pay to have their car being a mobile chicane.

Dev series in 2013, maybe even 2014 depending on his progress. It would be hard to justify moving up if he can't even get into the Dev top six consistently by the end of the season.

He can also spend time in 2013 at T8 test days, do the co-driver sessions at various rounds and potentially have a co-driver role with LDM if he's showing enough promise.

That makes far more sense than to pitch him into the V8s straight away.
I agree with your take on the future - Stoner is smart enough to have seen how the Gold Coast event treated newcomers to the sport and I doubt that stepping straight into the Main game would be on his agenda - History has shown time and again that a great Motorcycle racer doesn't necessarily make a great automobile racer ; with the restricted practice sessions that they now have a new driver would be learning the car and circuits during the races and this leaves absolutely no room for error .
Old 4 Dec 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3175177)   #54
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I would suggest he runs in Aussie cars or Formula ford in addition to any development series activities.
Go racing karts on every off week end.
Just to cram as much experience in as fast as possible!

What do you guys think?

How would you get the experience if you were Stoner?
Old 5 Dec 2012, 01:52 (Ref:3175212)   #55
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I would suggest he runs in Aussie cars or Formula ford in addition to any development series activities.
Go racing karts on every off week end.
Just to cram as much experience in as fast as possible!

What do you guys think?

How would you get the experience if you were Stoner?
Expect him to get as many laps as possible in the T8 ride car. It's not the same as the race cars, but it's closer than just about any other race car.

But that presupposes that he's expected to get up to speed immediately. He's not. T8 will support and guide him and he'll develop at his own pace.

He's got potentially 12-15 years of V8s ahead of him - he's got time to develop his craft.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3175237)   #56
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The earlier you learn it, the longer you have to enjoy it!
Old 6 Dec 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3175752)   #57
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont under estimate him - he surprised many at his 'test' at Norwell. Sure he did a number of laps but his times were quickly on pace and his feedback was good...
Old 6 Dec 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3175959)   #58
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.bigpondsport.com/judgemen...7/default.aspx
Quote:
WHAT WENT RIGHT

What didn't? After winning 10 races last year, Whincup bettered that record this season with 12 victories, including a win at Bathurst, which eluded the outfit last season. Aside from the consistent victories on the track, the team also looks to have secured Casey Stoner as a development driver for the Dunlop Series next season, more evidence of the strength of the team in attracting talent at every level. Having Whincup's fourth title in the bag nice and early allowed the team to do everything possible to secure Lowndes second-place in the championship, even if it did mean making a controversial pit pass in the Sydney Telstra 500. Any thoughts that the Car of the Future regulations may bring Triple Eight back to the field were quickly dispensed with when the team were the first to have a new car ready and the first to take it testing. Expect more of the same next year.
Old 6 Dec 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3175968)   #59
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Dont under estimate him - he surprised many at his 'test' at Norwell. Sure he did a number of laps but his times were quickly on pace and his feedback was good...
A few stories at the time were suggesting that he was already hoping to affect a few setup changes on the ride car.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 02:55 (Ref:3176704)   #60
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Agreed, I think he will be very good!
He has the ability to analyse situations extremely well, and he could certainly push a bike to the ragged edge.
There is no reason he shouldn't have the same feel for a car.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 04:33 (Ref:3177392)   #61
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Stoners out there practicing again today to make a decision on what he wants to do. one thing, what car would he be using if he takes a DVS drive? IIRC the Lowndes car has been sold, and Whincup has bought "Kate" ( which i think is the car hes using today) so what car is there to be used?

the Scott Pye car must be getting a tad long in the tooth by now esp against all the top level gear thats arriving in the DVS now, or is there a spare chassis that 888 has up their sleeve?
Old 11 Dec 2012, 04:33 (Ref:3177393)   #62
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I see Casey is out testing Jamies car today to help him decide his plans for next year.

Why would T8 be doing this though.

The only way they could make any future out of this is to dump a current driver, unlikely, move to a 4 car team (why havent they done this already)

They already have Scott Pye waiting in the wings. why?
Old 11 Dec 2012, 04:58 (Ref:3177396)   #63
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the possibility of Pye going to Dumbrell, that would leave a DVS seat if Stoner thinks he can do it.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3177397)   #64
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Casey's got money to throw around, so I wouldn't be surprised if he covered Triple Eight's expenses for the day.

I highly doubt he's being groomed to be the next Triple Eight main game driver.

As for Mr Pye, I'd say he'll be loaned out over the next 3 years at least, and may end up at Triple Eight to replace whoever decides not to re-new their existing contract.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 05:14 (Ref:3177398)   #65
thetormentor
Racer

Australia
Central Coast NSW
thetormentor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasnt Pye been loaned out to LDM for next year ?
Old 11 Dec 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3177457)   #66
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Casey's got money to throw around, so I wouldn't be surprised if he covered Triple Eight's expenses for the day.

I highly doubt he's being groomed to be the next Triple Eight main game driver.

As for Mr Pye, I'd say he'll be loaned out over the next 3 years at least, and may end up at Triple Eight to replace whoever decides not to re-new their existing contract.
If Casey spends his own money, he's nuts.

His name alone should be enough for a V8 team to attract sponsors, and look at the coverage T8 got out of this test. I am pretty sure their sponsors would have been quite happy to foot the bill.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3177471)   #67
Umai Naa
Veteran

I think after today's supposedly positive outing, they may be more interesting in tipping some cash into his activities.

If I were a potential, or existing sponsor, up til now I'd be a little apprehensive.
Old 11 Dec 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3177814)   #68
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
If I were a potential, or existing sponsor, up til now I'd be a little apprehensive.
Huh? The guy enjoys the most staunch personal support of any Australian from Triple 8's new major sponsor!!! MUCH more so than either of their current pilots...

I'm pretty sure sponsorship never has been, and never will be an issue in getting Stoner a test day here, a full season in the DVS there.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3183717)   #69
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Naughty Tim Blanchard

Quote:
Fairfax Media has learnt that V8 Supercars has told the development series team that has been using 27 - Stoner's motorcycle racing number - for one of its entries that it can't run it this season.
Old 2 Jan 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3183738)   #70
Umai Naa
Veteran

I'm sure the acquistion of number 27 came at a cost to Mr Stoner.
Old 3 Jan 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3184018)   #71
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That article states that 888 won the last 2 dev series, I think Mr McLaughlin might have something to say about that
Old 19 Jan 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3191424)   #72
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stoner will be at Clipsal, can't confirm if he is driving or just watching at this stage
Old 19 Jan 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3191438)   #73
T-star
Racer

T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for the scoop birtek
Old 19 Jan 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3191462)   #74
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure if anyone saw in the online news today that Stoner has just purchased a house (cash sale) 4.7 mill for a property in Sanctury Cove QLD
Old 19 Jan 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3191545)   #75
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motor-s...-1226557350715