Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Nov 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2990810)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Pre War Stuff and Regularity Rallies

Just when you think the Pre War stuff is losing its appeal something happens to buck the trend.

With every other event seemingly designed for 50/60's car made any time from then to yesterday it is good to see that Flying Scotsman rally has over a hundred entrants with some more waiting to be accepted.Its for Pre War only, Duxford to St Andrews.Four days and a press on event.Not one of those Derby and Jones affairs like Three Castles.

I can only hope that this, with a reinvigorated VSCC calendar, helps the Pre War gang.MRL races are few and far between and expensive for the normal Pre War owner, who is used to VSCC prices, so 700 Quid for 50 mins to an Hour seems like to much dosh,

Presumably they will run Donington and Algarve again but it may be the Donington race is questionable with the change of management there.I don't know and there is an alternative at Pau the same weekend.

We do have Grid 1 at Le Mans that accounts for 4 hours track time which in a 48 period is probably as much as the old stuff can stand.About 30 Pounds a minute to enter!

What we really need is an end of season race at Ascari Circuit ,Rhonda to go with Algarve on following weekends.That does seem a pipe dream but would be superb.Make the transport cost effective.

Now you can all go back to discussing finer points of those V8 American tractors that seem to have taken the place of the much loved MG B's on here.

This winters ramble.

Old 24 Nov 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2990829)   #2
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
BTW John, we are having a Regularity Rally at Next years Stoke Row Festival of Speed. I do hope you will enter.Date to be anounced once I have sorted out the 2012 Delta race calender.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2990842)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
If we are around we will enter something.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2990852)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, as you know John, I'm all for keeping the Pre War stuff going. Always happy to support any meeting/series covering this - we need more contributors. Where did Eclectic get to?
Old 24 Nov 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2990858)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the Flying Scotsman event will pass close to me - North Yorkshire Moors etc - so (although it's not really a spectator event) I hope to get out to see them pass. Looks like an excellent entry.

Will also be at the Le Mans Classic John (complete with my 'much loved MG B') - thoroughly enjoyed the pre-war cars last time there.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2990936)   #6
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Looks like the Flying Scotsman event will pass close to me - North Yorkshire Moors etc - so (although it's not really a spectator event) I hope to get out to see them pass. Looks like an excellent entry.

Will also be at the Le Mans Classic John (complete with my 'much loved MG B') - thoroughly enjoyed the pre-war cars last time there.

I am having a 1925 Lorraine Dietrich built up for Le Mans Classic and possibly anything else that is interesting.
I would do a pre war race at the Silverstone Classic, but that seems a futile hope.

Rudolf
Old 24 Nov 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2990955)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I like 30's stuff, It just seems inaccessible, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough! ( I have just acquired a new lock up in the pound, its the XL one as well . . . like I need another project!
Old 28 Nov 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2992517)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

A suitable car can be bought pretty cheaply from VSCC and various sites.Usually cheap to run as most very robust.

The cars are fun to drive and hold their value as in most cases they have not been involved in the massive price escalation of past years.

They may look pedestrian to some but try sitting in one and driving it.
Old 28 Nov 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2992565)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I can vouch for that from the Riley MPH, but thats not standard fodder. I like the versatility factor of earlier cars, something you can use on the road, rally, and race whilst being fairly competitive, making the Cortina, for example, vaguely circuit competitive has rendered it utterly useless for anything else.THe Talbots on the other hand seem to excel at virtually everything (can't vouch for shopping in one though!)
Old 29 Nov 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2992824)   #10
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
I am co-driving a mate's 4.5 litre Invicta S-type in the Flying Scotsman. First attempt on this rally, and looking forward to it. Pre-war motoring is great fun and there are plenty of events to suit all tastes and pockets.

Nick
Old 4 Dec 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2995081)   #11
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thought I would put this back on first page as not much else to read and may get a response.
Old 6 Dec 2011, 22:13 (Ref:2996171)   #12
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great post John: Our Derby B girl is an important part of the household and much used in weekend transport; more than Healeys! (sadly not much competition events for this Derby car but maybe better) The American tractors or derivates.................you must be right!!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2996321)   #13
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I grew up in the world of the VSCC as we had friends with square riggers, my earliest motor sport memory is going to Silverstone in the Clutton Itala to watch Jonty racing the exLSR Delage.

It's never ceased to amaze me how the average pre war car can be used for anything. I had separate Midgets for trials, auto tests and races but I keep seeing the very same Oldies popping up with distinction in all those disciplines. Stop in any High Street, and your Vintage motor will draw a bigger crowd than the latest super car, even covered in mud and trialling scars.

True motor *sport*. Competing for the sake of it.

What's not to like? Oh except possibly no heater, no roof, and leaking floors. OK, modern saloons it is then!
Old 7 Dec 2011, 16:22 (Ref:2996550)   #14
R D P
Racer

Germany
Schwabach - Germany
R D P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
What's not to like? Oh except possibly no heater, no roof, and leaking floors. OK, modern saloons it is then!
Easily solved without any need for modern !
Heater - get a Derby Bentley, the brake servo underneath the passenger will easily heat up passenger and pilot (note - don´t wear shorts in summer) if driven accordingly.
No roof - get a helmet and good weatherproof clothes, might even look good if chosen correctly.
Leaking floors - helps for point above (no roof) if fitted loosely.

So - get a pre war racer/sportscar !

Ralf

Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2997139)   #15
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Just when you think the Pre War stuff is losing its appeal something happens to buck the trend.

With every other event seemingly designed for 50/60's car made any time from then to yesterday it is good to see that Flying Scotsman rally has over a hundred entrants with some more waiting to be accepted.Its for Pre War only, Duxford to St Andrews.Four days and a press on event.Not one of those Derby and Jones affairs like Three Castles.

I can only hope that this, with a reinvigorated VSCC calendar, helps the Pre War gang.MRL races are few and far between and expensive for the normal Pre War owner, who is used to VSCC prices, so 700 Quid for 50 mins to an Hour seems like to much dosh,

Presumably they will run Donington and Algarve again but it may be the Donington race is questionable with the change of management there.I don't know and there is an alternative at Pau the same weekend.

We do have Grid 1 at Le Mans that accounts for 4 hours track time which in a 48 period is probably as much as the old stuff can stand.About 30 Pounds a minute to enter!

What we really need is an end of season race at Ascari Circuit ,Rhonda to go with Algarve on following weekends.That does seem a pipe dream but would be superb.Make the transport cost effective.

Now you can all go back to discussing finer points of those V8 American tractors that seem to have taken the place of the much loved MG B's on here.

This winters ramble.

örm......

should a thread about regularity rallies come under the heading of Nine-Tenths ?
just a thought....

Rudolf
Old 8 Dec 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2997224)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
If you add eleven-tenths for style it probably evens out at a round ten-tenths
Old 8 Dec 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2997268)   #17
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
I am having a 1925 Lorraine Dietrich built up for Le Mans Classic and possibly anything else that is interesting.
I would do a pre war race at the Silverstone Classic, but that seems a futile hope.

Rudolf
Rudolf, join the VSCC and come and have some fun! Hill-climbs, sprints, circuit racing, rallies, and, best of all....Trialling in the winter. If you've got a pre-war car there is something to do virtually every week-end, superb organisation, and excellent value. To top it off, old car folk are great company....whats not to like? (As my little darlings would say!)
Old 8 Dec 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2997280)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Trailing in the Winter.

Can't see the point.Cold,wet,hills,dirty,mostly in middle of nowhere etc.etc.Understand a tiny girl can beat all the men!

Why no Trials in Summer?

Rest of VSCC I understand and it's great.Cars do not really depreciate or appreciate

And in most cases are cheap to run as the cars are same spec one year to next and you don't have arms race as in Post War stuff.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 23:04 (Ref:2997286)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Rudolf, join the VSCC and come and have some fun! Hill-climbs, sprints, circuit racing, rallies, and, best of all....Trialling in the winter. If you've got a pre-war car there is something to do virtually every week-end, superb organisation, and excellent value. To top it off, old car folk are great company....whats not to like? (As my little darlings would say!)
Nice try...
but too late
I already am a VSCC member
Did the last 4 Poms

Rudolf
Old 8 Dec 2011, 23:17 (Ref:2997295)   #20
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>Why no Trials in Summer?

There are...but only "show" events because everyone cleans them. Trials need mud, ice, snow, rain to make them impassable. Blue Hills Mine or Bamford Clough in the sunshine wouldn't be half the challenge. We changed a diff in MGDavid's (post war) MG at the top of Beggar's Roost grovelling around in the snow, some people spend a fortune on public schools to give their children such character-building experiences.

Man up JR, pull on the waterproofs and get bouncing! Fried breakfast before dawn after the regularity run, steaming hot coffee from mud-splattered flasks while waiting to be towed out of a section and several pints of old and filthy, peeling off layer after layer of insulating clothing in the bar at the finish. That's real trialling.

Yes the ladies do as well as the chaps, and normally the pre war stuff with large, narrow wheels and loads of ground clearance is at the sharp end of the results.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2999441)   #21
Tom Walker
Rookie

England
leics
Tom Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
Nice try...
but too late
I already am a VSCC member
Did the last 4 Poms

Rudolf
Well Rudolf thats fine.....but the Pom is not the best VSCC event for Vintage cars....come and do some racing /sprinting!

I know yr winding me up John, re Mags Diffey and her excellent trials driving, but one of the best things about the VSCC is the number of women who compete. And I do have 3 daughters!! (Could be expensive on a whole load of fronts!?!)

Cant do Trials in the summer, what would you do in the winter?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 00:01 (Ref:2999482)   #22
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Walker View Post
Well Rudolf thats fine.....but the Pom is not the best VSCC event for Vintage cars....come and do some racing /sprinting!

I know yr winding me up John, re Mags Diffey and her excellent trials driving, but one of the best things about the VSCC is the number of women who compete. And I do have 3 daughters!! (Could be expensive on a whole load of fronts!?!)

Cant do Trials in the summer, what would you do in the winter?
Örmmm
Youre barking up the wrong tree
tend to do the Spring Start as well and See Red once in a while
preaching to the converted, I am friends with Gillian, she talked me into it years ago

and as for the Pom the last time I did it, it was in a 1925 RR Phantom I, that would be out of place anywhere else but was bags of fun in the POM

Rudolf
Old 11 Feb 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3024523)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Flying Scotsman Rally is now oversubscribed.

Original idea by organisers was a turnout of about 60 cars.

The entry has closed at 110 cars and many of the great and good are in.

Must be important as all the high class second hand salesmen have entered!

Not sure any of them are clever enough to work a watch but can sort 10%
Old 12 Feb 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3024806)   #24
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pics from 2011 Flying Scotsman at Hartside Summit. Just to whet your appetite
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01231.JPG   DSC01228.JPG   DSC01217.JPG  

DSC01222.JPG  
Old 12 Feb 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3024821)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robert what is the car on the right in the first photo? Is it a bentley? The coupe I mean