Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 May 2019, 12:29 (Ref:3900980)   #2051
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At the height of AlonsoMania Spain had 2 races. He had the presence to justify govt spending, convince the public to support that spending, attract corporate sponsors, draw locals to the track.

Without him i suspect its full on support for motogp and other top level sports in Spain.

While i dont disagree that there are better uses for public money im under no illusion that their govt is going to build a better school or whatever.

Anyways shouldnt we be celebrating...races there tended to be rather boring no?
Old 2 May 2019, 10:37 (Ref:3901176)   #2052
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well Alonso had the big hype, which gave them an excuse to do it. Certainly it kept Spain in F1, while MotoGP there continued to thrive

Shame to see it go though, despite everything. I think it still has a place on the calendar
Old 4 May 2019, 16:27 (Ref:3901808)   #2053
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Valencia was a big vanity project too, along with the America's Cup and was at enormous expense, while politicians were siphoning off public funds and making public cuts. It is no surprise that it is dead and buried.

For European Grands Prix to survive, Formula 1 needs to offer it a viable model, because quite rightly, the public shouldn't have to pay. I hope this heartland of support is considered important in the long-term, because we've already seen what I consider a short-sighted move towards pay TV.

I would have thought Spain has a good fan base in terms of attendees and not just from there. Bear in mind, the country had Grands Prix for a long time before Alonso and Catalunya too. However, it's true that the circuit hasn't produced good races.

By the way, Mike, I would add that it wouldn't surprise me if many Catalans were not in favour of hosting the 'Spanish' Grand Prix.
Old 4 May 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3901812)   #2054
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
I think they should consider moving to Aragon. Incredible track that has produced great racing in every single championship that's ever been there.
Old 4 May 2019, 16:42 (Ref:3901815)   #2055
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is morphing into another "what's wrong with F1" thread.

FWIW I don't believe we need more Grands Prix. We need fewer in strategic locations based on the heartland of the fan base. You'd still keep Australia and the USA but lose the chaff such as Sochi, Baku, etc. Back to a maximum of 12 races each season.

Lesser cost but more fan interest since it wouldn't be in our faces every few days.

Look at the interest WEC generates. Less top echelon races but loads of others such as ELMS, Brit GT, VdeV. All with a regular slot in the calendar providing fans with the ability to watch their favourites on many weekends. Then there are the biggies the WEC for the really special events.
Old 4 May 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3901820)   #2056
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lesser cost but more fan interest since it wouldn't be in our faces every few days.
I think you may have that the wrong way around? The biggest reason Liberty is pushing for more races is because momentum is everything.
Old 4 May 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3901825)   #2057
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or they have it wrong?
Old 4 May 2019, 17:21 (Ref:3901831)   #2058
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Perhaps, are you the owner of a multi-billion doller marketing company?
Old 4 May 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3901837)   #2059
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No. And if they keep going, they won't be either.
Old 4 May 2019, 17:33 (Ref:3901838)   #2060
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
I think you may have that the wrong way around? The biggest reason Liberty is pushing for more races is because momentum is everything.
I don't see the point in pushing for more races. What will adding more races to a 21 race calendar actually achieve, it's a long enough season as it is? If there are more races, who will host them? The current sanctioning fee is extremely costly, so much so, two of the original GPs on the calendar, Monza and Silverstone have yet to confirm for 2020. What about the fan base?
Old 4 May 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3901839)   #2061
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Quote:
No. And if they keep going, they won't be either.
I guess we'll see! I'll just point out that one of the reasons F1 dwarfs every other racing series is simply the amount of races. Every time I try to get people excited about WEC they confess they simply don't know when it's on. F1 has a race every other week, sometimes even every week. It would be foolish in my view to dismiss that effect.
Old 4 May 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3901840)   #2062
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I guess we'll see! I'll just point out that one of the reasons F1 dwarfs every other racing series is simply the amount of races. Every time I try to get people excited about WEC they confess they simply don't know when it's on. F1 has a race every other week, sometimes even every week. It would be foolish in my view to dismiss that effect.
There have always been more GPs on the calendar than sports cars/wec races primarily because of the nature of single seater racing. This makes F1 more accessible to the casual motorsport fan, as opposed to a 6 hour sports car race. It's that accessibility Bernie realised he could tap into, by acquiring and controlling the TV rights. That's marketing.
Old 4 May 2019, 19:47 (Ref:3901853)   #2063
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Spa, I have to say, there has to be a snow Grand Prix ...
Old 4 May 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3901854)   #2064
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I think my point is more about attitudes changing. Its not about green issues rather the fact that many are fed up with being told they must like something.
Old 4 May 2019, 20:49 (Ref:3901869)   #2065
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well people will always decide with their feet. If they don’t like something, they won’t attend. That’s how it has always been
Old 4 May 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3901872)   #2066
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Quote:
I think my point is more about attitudes changing. Its not about green issues rather the fact that many are fed up with being told they must like something.
I'm sorry, I've lost the connection here with the topic we were discussing. Who brought up green issues?
Old 4 May 2019, 20:55 (Ref:3901874)   #2067
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t know. What has green issues got to do with losing the Spanish GP?
Old 4 May 2019, 21:36 (Ref:3901883)   #2068
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I'm sorry, I've lost the connection here with the topic we were discussing. Who brought up green issues?
Apologies. I just threw that in as one of the dimensions the sport has to cope with.
Old 5 May 2019, 08:52 (Ref:3901931)   #2069
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
They could have a new Grand Prix on the Moon,but theres no TV coverage here to watch it.It was sold to the highest bidder now you have to join some Mickey Mouse service to watch a dodgy stream.No thanks Liberty.
Old 5 May 2019, 10:10 (Ref:3901934)   #2070
S griffin
Veteran

That's one way of putting it, just put it on the moon. Thankfully we can still see it at night. Just watch for the dust off line
Old 8 May 2019, 20:25 (Ref:3902696)   #2071
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-2020/4383940/

Big news coming from Brazil. Change of track location from current venue to a new built track in Rio for 2020
Old 8 May 2019, 21:15 (Ref:3902703)   #2072
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/r...-2020/4383940/

Big news coming from Brazil. Change of track location from current venue to a new built track in Rio for 2020
There was talk, at the end of April, that the Governor of Rio de Janeiro would like to move the Brazilian GP from Interlagos, to a purpose built facility.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/142986

Now the President has stepped in, confirming it.
Old 9 May 2019, 03:12 (Ref:3902718)   #2073
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I guess I can be even more glad that the WEC is returning to Interlagos. Sorry, but I think I already know which track I'm going to prefer seeing racing at.

As to comments about the size of the F1 calendar, the first time there were 12 Grands Prix in the championship was 1968. The first time there were 17, which required special dispensation for some time, was 1977.

The schedule has been substantial for quite a while, even more so if non-championship races, or the British F1 series are included. That said, my personal sense is that a nice round 20 is perhaps a good maximum.

Even within Europe, the countries we think of as fixtures now haven't always been, so this moving around, going from Spain to the Netherlands for instance, doesn't seem totally outlandish. I mean, Spain and Hungary weren't regulars until 1986, and one of the main staples outside Europe, Japan, wasn't on every year until 1987. Also Austria, like the US, has come and gone multiple times.

Right now, I just hope Hanoi doesn't turn out too much like Valencia in terms of the actual racing.
Old 9 May 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3902796)   #2074
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
I really don't think we should take that stuff about Brazil building a new track in 6-7 months seriously. This is even more of a pipe dream than the Miama GP we all know will never happen.
Old 9 May 2019, 14:55 (Ref:3902798)   #2075
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just reading the article now (as opposed to just reading the headline).

Quote:
I really don't think we should take that stuff about Brazil building a new track in 6-7 months seriously. This is even more of a pipe dream than the Miama GP we all know will never happen.
yeah 6-7 months sounds super ambitious and it doesnt even sound like the track has been designed yet ...only 'set to be designed by Hermann Tilke'.

also not sure if the new president of Brazil gets to decide where future F1 races are to be held.

anyways, agree that this sounds like a pipe dream and i hope this hubris doesn't just result in the Brazilian GP being cancelled all together.

side question, with Whiting's passing have the FIA named a new person to oversee and inspect tracks? no doubt there are many many others who could do this so just asking more out of curiosity and if anyone knows.