Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Jan 2004, 15:03 (Ref:831637)   #51
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't have confirmation on Caldecott, just know he isn't listed as a retirement - as for Juuta, from both the official Paris Dakar web site and the Eurosport website - the officials will make a decision tonight.... as a matter interest, she was third quickest at the first checkpoint on today's stage.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:831675)   #52
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw satge 7 and caldecott only lost 23 minutes with his broken ankle- he is a machine- and apparently a blown rear tyre will slow meone(23rd overall?)
I like how Mcrae explained his reaction to his NIssan getting stuck- he was all rush rush, and his heart was beating trough his chest in a mad dash- when he realizd he has like8 more days to go, so he said he had to calm down dig it out right just so he wouldn't have a heart aattack in the car- hence ruining his race.
he is showing good sportsman ship and less of his angst from WRC- maybe this is his new niche, distance enduros
Old 8 Jan 2004, 15:46 (Ref:831681)   #53
racingdad
Veteran

Can confirm that Caldecott did start today - have no news on his progress - but this boy is tough!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:20 (Ref:831772)   #54
racingdad
Veteran

Has it all gone wrong for Colin McRae? He was just 3 minutes behind Schlesser (45 mins behind Peternasel) at CP2 with 100kms to go.... but still no sign of him at the end (according to what I can see)- about 1/2 hr since Schlesser arived and about 1 1/2 hrs after Peterhansel....
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:30 (Ref:831779)   #55
racingdad
Veteran

McRae is 50 kms from the end of the stage with some serious transmission problems awaiting his support vehicle...
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:36 (Ref:831787)   #56
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
what good stuff does the Dakar make as far a tech goes that actually makes it to the public? Diesels are getting better but is that cause of dakar or just fuel price? and where have 2 wheel drive moto bikes been all these years?
I remember seeing a two wheel drive (three chains- one to the rear, on up the side to another sprocket and one down the forks, this was years ago, clearly it had suspension travel woes.)
and all the fancy aero bits on the pickup trucks and suv type things do they really contribute that much to the cause over such bizarre unpredictable terrain?

Does there have to be a reason for everything?
Dakar is not F1 and even F1 doesn't contribute much to this so called "cause"...
It's primarily a test of endurance, both for cars/bikes/trucks and drivers. (duh...)
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:41 (Ref:831794)   #57
racingdad
Veteran

Believe it or not there is spin-off into production vehicles - your average Mitsubisho Pajero is a far better off-roader today than it was 10 years ago. but as ASII Man says that's not really the point - these are dedicated out and out off road racers.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:08 (Ref:831816)   #58
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just heard on 5live that McRae is in trouble and is having
some mechincal problems - he is awaiting assistance from the team.

In fact just picked this up from the Daker website:-

Quote:
Colin McRae (Nissan n°202) is suffering serious mechanical problems at km 300. He is now only on a two wheel drive system. He is waiting for assistance.

Last edited by rdjones; 8 Jan 2004 at 18:11.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:14 (Ref:831825)   #59
racingdad
Veteran

He's got a tow from de Villiers - will probably cost him a 1 hr penalty! but if they can fix it he would still be in something like 6th place with still more than half the rally to go
Old 8 Jan 2004, 18:56 (Ref:831866)   #60
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checked the offical Daker site again, they are showing him now being 8th 3h 31' 58" behind. So I guess he has made it in service then.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 19:05 (Ref:831878)   #61
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
Juuta's VW had a new engine fitted and was allowed to continue (??!!) strictly against the rules
????
DAF truck driver Jan de Rooy (and a possible podium finisher) has retired because of engine problems. They could repair it but they would be out of the race...And that German witch (Sorry, I am dissapointed because of De Rooy's retiremet) can drive further?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 19:12 (Ref:831888)   #62
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realize there needn't be a reason for any endeavor- however, money well spent usually has returns- and 1million here 10 million there should result in something to better the product line. going racing to me is like climbing a mountain- you do it because there is one to do. however race on sunday sell on monday is the mantra- and i was curious at any Tie-ins to the product lines of manufacturers.
Toyota offers a 2 wheel drive pickup in the states called the Prerunner Tacoma- i thought it was a play on words with the venerable 4runner- it turns out PreRunning is a scouting of a races routes in Baja- or reconnasaince in WRC events- so the tie in to Baja 1000 victories and endeavors are evident on the truck model so named it has the beefier motor and is lighter- as far as trucks go, as it has no 4wd transfer case and only crank windows (the models i have seen)
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:45 (Ref:831970)   #63
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are still people in the world who do things to prove that they can do them, and do them better than other people. If Andy Caldecott never makes fifty cents from his Dakar run, he has already got stories to tell that will be repeated by everyone in his town for generations to come. And I would be willing to bet that somebody is already painting the "Home of Andy Caldecott" sign to put at the city limits.

Asking "How much money are they going to make at this" is like waving your hand during a very interesting discussion in class to ask "Will this be on the test?"
Old 8 Jan 2004, 22:37 (Ref:832087)   #64
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I noticed a number of people have travelled to watch the early stages anyway. Have you heard of any touring groups that arrange these trips?
No, but something to think about for next year, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
DAF truck driver Jan de Rooy (and a possible podium finisher) has retired because of engine problems. They could repair it but they would be out of the race...And that German witch (Sorry, I am dissapointed because of De Rooy's retiremet) can drive further?
She has been disqualified. But, she (or her team) has objected to the disqualification, which means she can drive on while that objection is being handled (something which could take up to three months, according to the Eurosport commentators!) De Rooy probably didn't object, that must be the difference.

It's too bad for de Rooy, as he was in a good position last year too before he crashed out.

Quote:
Originally posted by racingdad
Can confirm that Caldecott did start today - have no news on his progress - but this boy is tough!
According to the Eurosport commentators, Caldecott is now out of the rally.

Last edited by R; 8 Jan 2004 at 22:42.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 06:45 (Ref:832346)   #65
racingdad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by R
According to the Eurosport commentators, Caldecott is now out of the rally.
Correct - I was just going on the list of withdrawals on both the Europsort & Dakar web sites - neither had his name until afetr the stage was finished. Great shame - lets hope he did enough for one of the team's with money to pick him up for the future
Old 9 Jan 2004, 08:29 (Ref:832415)   #66
Roach
Rookie

Roach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the Eurosport commentators, Caldecott is now out of the rally. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hope someone does pick him up next year.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 12:13 (Ref:832565)   #67
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anywhere we could write him to congratulate him on a brave and inspiring run? I haven't been impressed by anybody in a long time so much as I was impressed by Caldecott bravely finising the day's stage with a broken ankle. If he takes up a collection to run next year, I'm going to contribute!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:832579)   #68
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keith South Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Is there anywhere we could write him to congratulate him on a brave and inspiring run? I haven't been impressed by anybody in a long time so much as I was impressed by Caldecott bravely finising the day's stage with a broken ankle. If he takes up a collection to run next year, I'm going to contribute!
Liz, I have a great deal of respect for all the riders - I did non-competitive long distance off roading for quite some years and I know the determination required and mental toughness needed to overcome the physical and mental exhaustion in order to get to the destination.

I suggest you write:

Andy Caldecott
Paris-Dakar Motorcycle Racer
C/O Keith SA 5267
AUSTRALIA

I'm sure the local Post Office will forward it on to him!! Cheers

http://www.abc.net.au/southeastsa/stories/s1019091.htm

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 9 Jan 2004 at 12:29.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 18:16 (Ref:832890)   #69
Liz
Veteran

I'm going to do that right now. Thanks!
Old 9 Jan 2004, 19:48 (Ref:832960)   #70
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I see from BBC News Online that the weekends stages in Mali have been cancelled, due to fears over the security situation in that country:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/3384403.stm
Old 9 Jan 2004, 19:58 (Ref:832964)   #71
racingdad
Veteran

Confirmed on the official Dakar website - cars & trucks will drive in convoy with the bikes being airlifted, shame but there are elements who have long viewed this event as a soft target
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:26 (Ref:832980)   #72
Liz
Veteran

Didn't somebody hit a land mine last year? I'd hate to have anything happen that can be avoided. Heaven knows the terrain itself is bad enough.

I don't see my man de Mavius on the chart on the Dakar site. Anybody know how he did?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:29 (Ref:832984)   #73
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Does anyone know if they have found the British Rider, who was missing in the desert?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 21:29 (Ref:833040)   #74
racingdad
Veteran

de Mavius just in - 3 hrs behind but in 12th place. No sign of McRae & Vatenen who both were having serious transmission problems no De Villiers either, so he could be working with them. Half way and an enforced rest and it is getting tough.

WRT the british rider - I haven't seen anything on the Dakar site
Old 9 Jan 2004, 21:40 (Ref:833045)   #75
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's de Mevius by the way...