Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Mar 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2850188)   #26
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend!

Fabulous circuit, great meeting, a privilege to be there. Great to meet some many people, including some 10/10thers, E.B. and inpitlane especially.

Will put a brief report on my Thread Heading Downunder, but a fuller one on my blog.

James
Old 21 Mar 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2850408)   #27
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi James, I was at Southern Loop on Sunday, the distance to the pits meant I stayed there until the end of the day when there was no sign of the TR5 in the pits. I should have a shot or two of you, have not checked photos yet.

It was a fantastic event in general, although as above I didn't see a lot bar on-track stuff, no wander through the pits etc. Things like the Stratos (the sound!), Rusty French's black Porsche showing a lot of speed from the rear of the field, and generally lots of really close-fought racing made it a great day out.

I was particularly impressed by the speed of John Briggs' Veskanda, which looked a lot quicker than last time I saw it. It didn't set the fastest lap (1:36.1) in the race I saw but pulled out a lot of ground on Jamie Larner in the Ralt RT2 in very short order before appearing to ease off slightly. In the first race on Saturday he ran 3.5 sec faster (1:32.5) - looking at the track's lap records that was some way off what John Bowe (who raced the car in its heyday) did in the car 11 years ago! (1:29.4) It takes a very quick car to lap under 1:30.
Old 21 Mar 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2850575)   #28
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Hi John, sorry we didn't meet. I was in garage 12, well away from the rest of Group S. After finding some of the key guy to thank, I pulled out of the pits about 1740.

Would love to see any shots you have, especially from your vantage point, as I got a lot quicker through there on Sunday!

If you, or anyone else, can recommend web addresses for local snappers (photographers) I'd like to know as I like some shots, especially with iconic backgrounds if possible.

Targa next, you going to be there?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2852303)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi James... Glad you had a good weekend after a dodgy start with the fuel line probs. Coincidence that Ian Watt, one of those who helped you out and pointed you in the direction of some help with parts runs a Triumph 20000 in Group N Historic Touring Cars..... indeed the car he runs was sold to him by me after I used it for a Bathurst (now there is a track you would love) support race many moons ago. Would be fair to say he has put a fair bit of work into it since then though.

Anyway great to catch up with you and have a natter, and all the best for the Targa. I trust the car is at or has been at the injection place and is now fully tuned and able to be used to its full potential.

Good also to catch up and have a blah blah blah with David Towe.... Great looking car David, and doesn't go to bad at all! I tried to say hi to David Paterson as well but I never got to find him, although I saw the car. Sorry DP, but the thought was there!

On another note I posted some photos I took over the weekend in the other PI Classic thread, over in the Australasian Touring Car Forum here at 10/10. Sorry I did not do a very good job of taking pics of the competing 'Tenthers', mainly due to a set of dud rechargeable batteries

There are plenty of other pics from the weekend though, if anyone is interested in having a look....
Click here to go straight to the post with the pics posted in it.

It was a great weekend though

Last edited by E.B; 24 Mar 2011 at 08:29.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 13:08 (Ref:2852458)   #30
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Good also to catch up and have a blah blah blah with David Towe.... Great looking car David, and doesn't go to bad at all! I tried to say hi to David Paterson as well but I never got to find him, although I saw the car. Sorry DP, but the thought was there!
No worries EB. I was in garage 55, up near the northern end of pit lane.

James, I sought you out to say hello, but every time i came by you were up to your elbows in Triumph, so i kept telling myself, "come back later when he's not busy", but you always were.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 04:42 (Ref:2856182)   #31
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Footage Now on-line

Raw footage from the PI historic is now on the In Pit Lane Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiEON6jwMM
Sadly Youtube have squished the screen ratio and despite adding the proper tag it's not changing.
Still looks and sounds pretty good though.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2856254)   #32
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
If you, or anyone else, can recommend web addresses for local snappers (photographers) I'd like to know as I like some shots, especially with iconic backgrounds if possible.
James, re your photo search, here are a few links to photographers I know of who were at PI and have posted on the VHRR to say they have pics.

The links go to that photographers thumbnail pics from the weekend. I have noted a couple I know have at least one pic of the TR5 in the thumbnails. Of course they may also have photos they have not posted up, so it might be worth firing off a few emails to ask them if they have any.....

Their email addresses should be on these linked pages here by just clicking on the photographers name on the page with the thumbnails on, or there is an obvious website address.

Chris Carter - 150 images (Pic of TR5)

John Lemm - 31 images ( incl.pic of TR5)

Martin Creely - 168 images

Jim Jones (252 images)

Jim Jones - 59 images F5000&Big Sports Cars

Matt Griffin - 100 images

John Ward - 68 images

Sorry this next bit is perhaps a bit off topic for Phillip Island, but seeing as I am posting those PI links I would check up on your progress and readiness for the Targa which is starting in the next few days..

I did read in your blog that you seem to be covering off all options to ensure your Phillip Island fuel problems are past tense and hopefully will allow you a trouble free run on the Targa.

I seem to recall you saying at PI that the Targa starts on Sunday (3rd April).... which I only remember because it happens to be my birthday also.
Maybe that is the date you are travelling to Tassie though, or have to sign on and do the scrutineering thing. I cant remember.

Oh James, one thing I am sure you would have been told of, but, in case you were not aware, and you are travelling or booked on a ferry overnight on the Saturday night / Sunday morning sort of time, you will need to remember it is the end of 'daylight saving' in Tasmania and Victoria (plus ACT and NSW AFAIK) this Sunday morning.

So on Sunday 3rd April 2011 (officially at 3:00am) we move our clocks BACK one hour to 2:00am.

Will you be updating the blog with progress reports and updates as Targa unfolds? Hopefully you wont be having to carry out any running repairs that takes up your non competing R&R time.

Anyway best of luck with it all and trust you will have a ball. Just watch out for the folk over there with two heads, not to mention the Tasmanian Tigers

Cheers and good luck
Chris Anderson.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2856496)   #33
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Thanks Chris. Targa prologue stage is Tuesday, we are on the ferry tonight. Thanks for your kind wishes. Subject wifi connection I certainly plan to keep the blog updated.

Dave P. Sorry to have missed you at PI, hope you had a good weekend.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2857010)   #34
speedy27
Rookie

Australia
Australia
speedy27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phillip Island Classic 2011 - event images

The following link will take you to a selection of my favourite images from this year's event.

Enjoy them!

Peter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterel...7626406256760/
Old 22 Apr 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2867934)   #35
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI Historic this Tuesday night on In Pit Lane Melbourne

This Tuesday night on Melbourne's C31 In Pit Lane presents a special from the 2011 Phillip Island Historic Festival.
Cars featured include: The Porsche 935 (Moby Dick) the Le Mans winning Rothmans Porsche of Derek Bell. The Maseratti 250F, The Lola T163 Can-Am, The ex Alan Jones' Williams FW07, The Sana RD11 F5000.
Oh and a Triumph TR3! from England.
That's In Pit Lane this Tuesday night at 9.30pm on C31 Melbourne.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 08:36 (Ref:2867993)   #36
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Brett, can you tell the rest of us who are not lucky enough to be able to receive Ch 31 how we can see it please?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2868032)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Hi Brett, can you tell the rest of us who are not lucky enough to be able to receive Ch 31 how we can see it please?
I expect it will pop on his youtube channel shortly?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 10:46 (Ref:2868052)   #38
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you got a link for it please?
Old 22 Apr 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2868282)   #39
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
Have you got a link for it please?
David, (and any others interested) you can watch past episodes of the 'In Pit Lane' shows usually about a week after original airing on the following link:

<C31- In Pit Lane - Catchup TV>

They have up to the 12th April online currently, on that link.

Chris

Last edited by E.B; 22 Apr 2011 at 18:44.
Old 23 Apr 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2868674)   #40
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Also found some other footage from PI, again C31, this from the Gasolene programme. Two twenty five minute episodes dedicated to mainly the Touring Cars with a bit of F5000.

Part 1, Gasolene 7th April

Part 2, Gasolene 14th April

Or if those links dont work, go to http://www.c31.org.au/program/view/program/gasolene and scroll down to Catch Up TV.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2868947)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Top links E.B!

Lovely to hear the TWR XJS on full song again along with all the V8's!!!!!
Old 25 Apr 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2869356)   #42
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Top links E.B!

Lovely to hear the TWR XJS on full song again along with all the V8's!!!!!
I must admit when I posted the links that I would now be reading responses saying non Aus residents cant access them..... a bit like if we here try to play any video content from say the BBC iPlayer, which for streaming and videos just says UK Residents only to those without Proxies or VPN's set up to give us a UK IP.

So yeah, relieved and glad to hear they work ok for those overseas.

As for the sounds, indeed a huge improvement over the sound of the F1's at Albert Park.