Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Apr 2020, 13:15 (Ref:3973606)   #251
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I think Gerard is missing 2 drivers!
I have proved in the recent past that I cannot count proper.

The 1st points scorer was not Louis, the driver in question also drove an HMW on occasion. Does that help anyone?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 14:09 (Ref:3973615)   #252
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
OK, I've got another Who, What Where and When? question for you after scanning some more of my old slides. Luckily the original photograph is of such poor quality I don't think any really important details can be gleaned just by enlarging the picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhoWhatWhere&When2.png
Views:	11
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	60219
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3973624)   #253
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I will take a wild guess at Jack Brabham, Renault Gordini, Brands Hatch, 1980 Grand Prix meeting and at the bottom of Paddock Hill.

Otherwise I have no idea.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:40 (Ref:3973631)   #254
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have proved in the recent past that I cannot count proper.

The 1st points scorer was not Louis, the driver in question also drove an HMW on occasion. Does that help anyone?
You cant read proper either...... (I added to my Rosier comment earlier that in fact it would be Giraud-Cabantous on account of him finishing the race just ahead of Rosier, therefore becoming the first Frenchman to score points, albeit by a few seconds.)
Old 29 Apr 2020, 15:52 (Ref:3973635)   #255
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
You cant read proper either...... (I added to my Rosier comment earlier that in fact it would be Giraud-Cabantous on account of him finishing the race just ahead of Rosier, therefore becoming the first Frenchman to score points, albeit by a few seconds.)
Adding an edit after the answer has appeared elsewhere is called Cheating.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:06 (Ref:3973637)   #256
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Anyway, I'd like to thank bauble for the delicate attention of making a french drivers dedicated quizz. Merci Monsieur, vous êtes un gentleman!

Thanks to RB and EB too. How on earth could one guess so many french stars in F1 WC? How could I miss Jacquot and Tambay and why never heard about Giraud-Cabantous?

Still missing, question #2 what car?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3973639)   #257
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
EB and RB, could it be Delage or Bugatti? I dont think so…
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:16 (Ref:3973644)   #258
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
EB and RB, could it be Delage or Bugatti? I dont think so…
It happened in 1968 Gerry. How many French marques were racing at that time? Not Delage, Bugatti, Gordini, Lago Talbot, or Mors.
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3973646)   #259
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I will take a wild guess at Jack Brabham, Renault Gordini, Brands Hatch, 1980 Grand Prix meeting and at the bottom of Paddock Hill.

Otherwise I have no idea.
Were you standing next to me when I took the picture?
I suppose you can also name one of his contemporaries who was also racing that weekend (and what was his car & number) ?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3973647)   #260
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks to your indication, gives Sir Jackie Stewart winning at Zandvoort, Nurburgring and Watkins Glen. French car, french team and English driver and engine…
Old 29 Apr 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3973653)   #261
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If I tell you Woolf Babe Barnato can you tell me a color and why? And with this color in mind can you tell me the name of one of his team mate?
Yes, this is a question Ã* la mode bauble"!
Old 29 Apr 2020, 17:06 (Ref:3973658)   #262
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If I tell you Woolf Babe Barnato can you tell me a color and why? And with this color in mind can you tell me the name of one of his team mate?
Yes, this is a question Ã* la mode bauble"!
Is this a reference to Barnato racing The Blue Train from the Cannes to Calais?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 17:24 (Ref:3973659)   #263
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Were you standing next to me when I took the picture?
I suppose you can also name one of his contemporaries who was also racing that weekend (and what was his car & number) ?
I think the only other driver you would consider contemporaries would be Stirling Moss driving Audi no,43?

Edited prior to any answers being answered; Would you refer to Brian Muir driving Rover no.17?
Old 29 Apr 2020, 18:05 (Ref:3973668)   #264
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I think the only other driver you would consider contemporaries would be Stirling Moss driving Audi no,43?

Edited prior to any answers being answered; Would you refer to Brian Muir driving Rover no.17?
I see no Rover in the Renault 5 picture?
Otherwise, your answer is of course correct!
Old 29 Apr 2020, 19:37 (Ref:3973682)   #265
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Yes RB, good again. In french Le Train Bleu, very difficult to beat with a car. So you got the train thing, the blue color which is french racing color and there's another link between "Babe" and France…
Old 29 Apr 2020, 21:20 (Ref:3973697)   #266
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes RB, good again. In french Le Train Bleu, very difficult to beat with a car. So you got the train thing, the blue color which is french racing color and there's another link between "Babe" and France…
He did serve in France during WW1, but that is rather tenuous.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 05:04 (Ref:3973729)   #267
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
He belonged to a famous gang of drivers. Amongst those…
Old 30 Apr 2020, 06:06 (Ref:3973733)   #268
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Grover Wiiliams …….Robert Benoist ……?
Old 30 Apr 2020, 08:20 (Ref:3973740)   #269
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Think this must be the early Bentley Boys, Tim Birkin, Glen Kidston, John Duff & Dr. Benjafield.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 08:23 (Ref:3973741)   #270
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Grover Wiiliams …….Robert Benoist ……?
Some years ago I was in Rambouillet & went to see Benoist's grave or memorial in the churchyard there, Quite moving really.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 08:26 (Ref:3973743)   #271
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Some years ago I was in Rambouillet & went to see Benoist's grave or memorial in the churchyard there, Quite moving really.
A genuine hero, RB.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3973751)   #272
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
A genuine hero, RB.
Definately an hero of mine, WW! fighter pilot, then made a name racing light cars before getting into the Delage 15S8 Grand Prix car then a resistance fighter in WW2.
Below is a memorial to him, it is on the road leading to Montlhery circuit.

Name:	Robert Benoist memorial.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	60282.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3973764)   #273
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Think this must be the early Bentley Boys, Tim Birkin, Glen Kidston, John Duff & Dr. Benjafield.
You just forgot a foreigner, the very fast french Jean Chassagne.

When young I raced in 250 and 350/500 series and at Montlhéry there's a curve named Ascari with a memorial to honor this man who lost his life in 1925. The curve is really scary at speed…

And if I'm right, there's a Rosier curve and memorial at Charade, last right before the pit straight.
Old 30 Apr 2020, 10:55 (Ref:3973767)   #274
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
You just forgot a foreigner, the very fast french Jean Chassagne.

"Maintenant, c’est a moi"
Old 30 Apr 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3973780)   #275
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Another simple who, what, where & when picture for you. (No Baub, I don't want the names of everyone in the picture, just the two drivers!).

Name:	Who What Where & When 3.png
Views:	31
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	60295