Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2001, 09:36 (Ref:56202)   #1
stirling moss
Rookie

Gibraltar
Hemel Hempstead
stirling moss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a new member and would like to introduce myself to you all.
Although I now live in the UK, I am from Gibraltar and my father was a GP fan, when I was born Stirling Moss was in his prime so I was named after him (yes I've heard all the jokes).
I have been a GP fan for a few years. I usually watch the races on TV, I went to Silverstone last year on a testing day.
I am thinking of going to see one of the European GPs this season, I posted a message on Trackside and got a few replies so if any of you have any information and advice on this matter it would be appreciated.
Lastly a quiz question for all you oldies in the pack.
HOW MANY GP POINTS DID STIRLING MOSS SCORE IN HIS CAREER ?
Old 5 Jan 2001, 21:17 (Ref:56377)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Welcome to 10/Tenths Stirling. Its good to have a famous name among us.

The answer to your question is 187 points, you will have to make them a bit harder than that.

Simon
Old 5 Jan 2001, 21:47 (Ref:56389)   #3
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum. I don't know what kind of jokes you heard, it must be pretty cool to be named after a F1 driver!!

I'm no oldie but I know how many points Stirling Moss scored. I looked it up on this wonderfull internet. But that's not fair so I'll leave the question to some oldie who actually knows it without these aids. (I've heard some of these folk are older than my parents, now that's old!!)
Old 5 Jan 2001, 22:43 (Ref:56413)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome to 10 Tenths Stirling.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 00:43 (Ref:56447)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a question for you, Stirling.

Was your family's last name originally Moss, or was it something else? Just curious if your father gave you a different last name as well in order to name you after him.

Anyway, welcome to 10 Tenths, and enjoy the forum!
Old 6 Jan 2001, 04:03 (Ref:56494)   #6
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to 10 Tenths, Stirling.

As to your question about how many points Stirling Moss scored in his career, it's 186.64.
That may look strange but in the early days a driver received 1 point for fastest lap.
At the British Grand Prix of 1954, 7 drivers shared the fastest lap, Stirling Moss being one of them, so all of these drivers received 0.14 points.
The same happened in 1959, again at the British Grand Prix where Stirling shared the fastest lap with Bruce McLaren and each got 0.5 points.
That explains the strange number of 186.64 points.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 10:03 (Ref:56541)   #7
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Stirling. I assumed your name must be a pseudonym like all the others here(or most) but......you must get some wierd responses when you're asked your name. Hope you enjoy your time here.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 11:46 (Ref:56567)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerard
At the British Grand Prix of 1954, 7 drivers shared the fastest lap, Stirling Moss being one of them, so all of these drivers received 0.14 points.
I've always wondered about that, were they actually equally fast, or were the measurements inaccurate?

Because when I look at the statistics from that season, fastest laps at other GPs are measured down to a tenth of a second, but at the British GP, it simply says "1m 50s". Does that mean that all the seven drivers fastest lap was 1.50.0, or could it actually range from 1.49.5 to 1.50.4? I do find it rather strange that seven drivers should hit the exact same tenth of a second (but at a qualifying session in the 97 season, three drivers hit the exact same thousandth of a second, I know, it's possible), just wondering if anyone know about this, and how accurate those measurements actually were.