Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 21 Dec 2007, 15:38 (Ref:2093382)   #1
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Aston Martin up to?

A lot of things seem to be falling together recently in regards to Aston Martin and what exactly they're going to be doing in 2008, at least for the factory Prodrive team. We already know the GT2 is in the works, however I don't really see that being a factory run car, and simply something shuffled off to whoever is willing to buy one, just like an F430 or 997 RSR.

At the same time, Larbre Competition has already given up their Aston Martin semi-works team to go to Saleen, and Scuderia Italia has done the same, moving to Ferrari. This leaves Prodrive as the only factory team, and they haven't announced anything.

And now we have the new LMP1 regulations with emphasis on 6000cc GT1-based engines, something which the Aston Martin V12 conveniently fits under.

There are already hints on DSC that a manufacturer is posed to enter LMP1 under these regulations, and it just seems to be working together perfectly that Aston Martin will be the one making the move. It may not be a full-on effort to take on Peugeot/Audi, but it could be as I suggested a toe-in-the-water: Running an Aston Martin V12 in the back of a Lola or Zytek or some other chassis in order to perfect the engine before building your own car, like Acura has been doing.

We already know Prodrive let slip that they might want to go for overall wins, so is this it?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2093387)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see such a thing happening in 08', maybe 09'. I doubt they can simply bolt the V12 into a Zytek or Lola... don't think it would fit, or work with those chassis, just not designed for it. I believe it would have to be a chassis designed to house such an engine, and there hasn't been enough lead time for that, since their F1 plans fell apart.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 15:54 (Ref:2093390)   #3
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
How much bigger would an Aston V12 be in comparison to a Judd V10?
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:00 (Ref:2093393)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
V12 is longer for sure. I don't know whether current customer LMP1 chassis have been designed with that in mind.

Audi had to increase its wheel base to mount the V12 TDI.

Last edited by gwyllion; 21 Dec 2007 at 16:07.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 17:34 (Ref:2093439)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
How much bigger would an Aston V12 be in comparison to a Judd V10?
More than just bigger, quite a bit heavier. I don't know the exact weight differences, but I'd have to estimate that we are talking at least 50% heavier. The weight was more my concern than anything else in size.

Now, the AER and Judd engines are fully stressed engines. Homologated engines cannot be fully stressed, and are not designed to be. We are talking about some redesigning here, how much I don't know...
Old 21 Dec 2007, 20:59 (Ref:2093537)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
More than just bigger, quite a bit heavier. I don't know the exact weight differences, but I'd have to estimate that we are talking at least 50% heavier. The weight was more my concern than anything else in size.

Now, the AER and Judd engines are fully stressed engines. Homologated engines cannot be fully stressed, and are not designed to be. We are talking about some redesigning here, how much I don't know...
The issue with the old Jaguar Group C V12 was the high up weight, not the weight or size per se, plus of course lack of power against unrestricted turbo opposition.

This Jaguar V12 was based on a '50's design, the Aston V12 is basically two modern Ford zetecs (I believe) joined together, possibly comparable to a diesel V12, minus the turbo bits and pieces.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2093402)   #7
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Could the B08/60 have been? I know a GT1 manufacturer would have had to have been in contact with a chassis constructor for some time now, as well as the ACO, before all of this was announced.

Either way, I'd think Aston Martin would be doing something more than the GT2 car.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:24 (Ref:2093404)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With Prodrives technical prowess, I can't see them just slapping a V12 in an existing chassis. I could see them starting with another chassis as a base and making modifications to it, but I really think that this effort would be from the ground up.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2093414)   #9
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a mention on another thread of a Lola coupe with a V12 engine. Could just be a development mule for testing purposes.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 20:54 (Ref:2093533)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
There was a mention on another thread of a Lola coupe with a V12 engine. Could just be a development mule for testing purposes.
Plus DSC hinting a race car manufacturer is being rewarded for sticking with their current reg coupe, likely Lola.

Prodrive/Richards are now involved with Aston road cars, a P1 program could be justified from a marketing perspective, not just a customer car business.

Back this up with GT2, GT3 and N24 customer programs and support, and you could have a Porsche level operation on your hands.

Don't forget Prodrive run a hugely lucrative Subaru WRC customer car program the world over.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 22:33 (Ref:2093563)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Plus DSC hinting a race car manufacturer is being rewarded for sticking with their current reg coupe, likely Lola.

Prodrive/Richards are now involved with Aston road cars, a P1 program could be justified from a marketing perspective, not just a customer car business.

Back this up with GT2, GT3 and N24 customer programs and support, and you could have a Porsche level operation on your hands.

Don't forget Prodrive run a hugely lucrative Subaru WRC customer car program the world over.
With Aston Martin independant (+ David Richards & Ulrich Bez are petrolheads) I think an AM prototype is closer than ever before.
Old 21 Dec 2007, 21:57 (Ref:2093551)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just read the article and can I refer you back to something I posted in the Le Mans Series 2008 thread on Monday which came about from a tip off from someone I know which was - Coupe, Lola, V12 andEndurance racing - it all makes a little more sense now.....
Old 22 Dec 2007, 13:43 (Ref:2093783)   #13
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is that the GT1 manufacturer is corvette not aston, going on the way the alms is and more rumours about a chevvy p1. As for the GT2, it can't be a factory car, that's not allowed, and i can see them winning FIA GT1 with Race Alliance if they could be arsed to give them any support. Problem is, they don't really seem to care about the DBR9 anymore, except for le mans.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 13:46 (Ref:2093784)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
Most expect Corvette will have a P1 soon, but the DSC article hinted at a racecar manufactuer being rewarded for sticking with their current coupe design, add the V12 Lola rumours, and that hints at Aston.

Prodrive have also recently abandoned a customer F1 program with Mclaren chassis, possibly freeing up funds/expertise, that could be applied to an Aston P1 program.

I would expect GM would build their own car in house.

Last edited by JAG; 22 Dec 2007 at 13:50.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 15:16 (Ref:2093814)   #15
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
speaking very generally, the Judd V10 is a 94 mm bore ....the Aston is also 94mm bore, the bore spacing will be quite similar......so it will only be another pair of cylinders, so an addiional 100mm or so, which is not the end of the world, most of this could probably be accomodated in a slight wheelbase extension, or in a new gearbox design......I dont think it would need a new tub

speaking about encouraging GT1 runners into LMP1......I dont know why they didnt allow 7 litres to compete too, at this would be a good way to allow the gasoline runners to close the torque gap to the diesel engines......typically about 850Nm for a 7 Litre.....its a step in the right direction....

anyways - I agree, it will be interesting to see what aston eventually do
Old 22 Dec 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2093813)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Aston Martin do decide to go ahead with a LMP1 programme personally I think they will be in the same boat as any other manufacturer, like Audi they will no doubt buy a chassis from a specalist manufacturer like Lola or Dallara and go from there designing their own areodynamics for the car etc. Aston Martin are a big enough operation to not need to buy customer cars, as are GM. Personally im not so sure GM will come back so soon though, its only been 5 years since the Cadillac programme finished.
Old 22 Dec 2007, 22:56 (Ref:2093929)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
If Aston Martin do decide to go ahead with a LMP1 programme personally I think they will be in the same boat as any other manufacturer, like Audi they will no doubt buy a chassis from a specalist manufacturer like Lola or Dallara and go from there designing their own areodynamics for the car etc. Aston Martin are a big enough operation to not need to buy customer cars, as are GM. Personally im not so sure GM will come back so soon though, its only been 5 years since the Cadillac programme finished.
Prodrives expertise is engineering production cars, not sure they could build a prototype in-house, so badging a Lola is an option.

Even a company as large as Nissan contracted Lola to build them a Group C car.

Depending on who you speak to P&M have got there wish as the P1 car is a goer.

Last edited by JAG; 22 Dec 2007 at 22:59.
Old 23 Dec 2007, 02:41 (Ref:2093981)   #18
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Prodrives expertise is engineering production cars, not sure they could build a prototype in-house, so badging a Lola is an option.

Even a company as large as Nissan contracted Lola to build them a Group C car.

Depending on who you speak to P&M have got there wish as the P1 car is a goer.
I agree, I would expect that it would probably be a rebadged/bespoken chassis from Lola or someone already producing C/F chassis.

L.P.
Old 30 Dec 2007, 00:28 (Ref:2096395)   #19
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened after the three year deal?

http://www.kayaba.co.uk/kayabaeurope/pr/2005-03.htm
Old 30 Dec 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2096576)   #20
kingkai
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
kingkai should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive is building a windtunnel atm (if the still are...?) so if they design/build their own F1 in 2009?.. a P1 in 2010 could be possible as well. I think they will go for another chassis at first. But could very well, like Pesca step up in future years to own production...
Old 30 Dec 2007, 15:49 (Ref:2096590)   #21
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Started an Asian 12 race series
Quote:
Called the Aston Martin Asia Cup (AMAC), the series starts in 2008 and will consist of 12 races throughout the Asia Pacific region including China, Japan, Malaysia and Singapore. Each race will feature a grid of 18 Aston Martin Vantage N24s, a 4.3 litre race-developed evolution of the V8 Vantage which has been proven in endurance and sprint races in Europe and the Middle East.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2973746)   #22
Motorsports
Rookie

Motorsports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 20 Oct 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2974493)   #23
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing shocking in this article, but it is confirmed that two AMR-One tubs have been sold to DeltaWing. The article speculates that this is death of the AMR-One program. I guess that is pretty safe to say. There is also speculation about the two car GTE Vantage WEC program. Again, that is not a new rumor. You gotta like this quote from Richards though:

Quote:
Aston Martin chairman David Richards, whose Prodrive company runs AMR, was insistent last month that the car would race again, though he claimed it "might be in a different guise." That comment appears to be consistent with the DeltaWing deal.
Oddly enough, that might be the most truthful thing Richards as said in years!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111019/ALMS/111019844

Are there any new updates on how Jota and anyone else is dealing with the "death" of the AMR-One?
Old 20 Oct 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2974502)   #24
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Double Post
Old 20 Oct 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2974503)   #25
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What, so are you saying the AMR One is and always will be considered a complete failure and that the project is cancelled for 2012??????????

Shocking news....

Hopefully Aston manages to improve the GTE Vantage for next year, it will be good to see their fantastic driver lineup get back into what could possibly be considered competitive cars, if they manage to sort out the reliability bugs. Good to see they are now focusing in something they may actually have a chance of winning at.