Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Aug 2014, 18:31 (Ref:3440829)   #276
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>if we went out we had to make sure that we have the right pass to go to the shops or our hand stanped to go to Competition Supplies, etc. They even told us that everything was provided on site so there was no need to go shopping.

And part of the sales pitch to me for having a stand was "unrivalled access to drivers"!
Yes, same as last year in spite of complying with the 'Blue' pass, stopped Saturday afternoon with ' you have ten minutes, no more or be towed away' could not face the argument, just can not load up in ten minutes, so parked up at Delta's had some crack and hospitality, cheers Iain, and did a 'Colditz' Sunday morning...
Old 1 Aug 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3440833)   #277
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should also add the National paddock by 3pm was almost devoid of both cars, race personal and spectators. Where Delta was parked emptiness abounded, the answer, if I attend next year, would seem to be forget using the garage's, easy up and leave it at that, as long as the weather behaves.
Old 1 Aug 2014, 22:18 (Ref:3440859)   #278
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
so parked up at Delta's had some crack
Blimey. So that's not electrical smoke coming out of his dashboard............
Old 2 Aug 2014, 08:13 (Ref:3440926)   #279
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, a few shots from Race 4 (Stirling Moss trophy for pre '61 sports/sports racing cars):-

Good to see Roger out in the ex Jim Woodley Lotus 17 (not as per race programme) and Steve Boultbee-Brooks in the Lister Jaguar Flatiron (28)both relatively recent acquisitions
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7878MS.jpg   IMG_7880MS.jpg   IMG_7919MS.jpg  

IMG_7925MS.jpg   IMG_7976MS.jpg   IMG_7985MS.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3440958)   #280
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 6 - Super Tourers:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8096SS.jpg   IMG_8106SS.jpg   IMG_8116SS.jpg  

IMG_8139SS.jpg   IMG_8155SS.jpg   IMG_8168SS.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3440960)   #281
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First visit to Silverstone, which was even more enjoyable than I hoped it would be.
Arrived on Friday afternoon, just in time to see friends qualifying for the Mustang race. From then until Sunday evening it was a fabulous event, made even better due to
warm dry weather. With so many racing highlights, it's difficult to select favourites -
the U2TC battle between Meaden & Shedden and Voyazides & Gardiner dicing in the Mustang Trophy were particularly exciting.

Great to see several 10/10 members and to chat with enthusiasts all around the paddocks and car club areas - all were very friendly. Could have spent more than three days in order to see more racing and displays.

The fun of the weekend is relative, when considering the tragedy of Sunday afternoon. My thoughts are with those affected by the accident
Attached Thumbnails
s1.jpg   s2.jpg   s3.jpg  

s4.jpg   s5.jpg   s6.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3440961)   #282
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Blimey. So that's not electrical smoke coming out of his dashboard............
Yeah well, had to liven the non activity up somehow, and were grand watching Iain playing wi' his float's......
Old 2 Aug 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3440968)   #283
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
s7.jpg   s8.jpg   s9.jpg  

s10.jpg   s11.jpg   s12.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3441003)   #284
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nice clear pic of yours truly Malcolm.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 2 Aug 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3441084)   #285
alfa 76
Rookie

alfa 76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And of me ,or at least my car (Alfa no.28) with team mate Will at the wheel -thanks again Malcolm!

We had another steady run to a finish in U2TC, nice to meet Steve Neal who is an old mate of Will's and technically we did beat his lad because they weren't running at the finish!

A little story, I managed to roll the car in a Classic K race at Snett last year and on the way home my team mate told me all about his first roll in a Mini at Lydden back around 1970 - he was so astonished to be in the lead with nothing in the mirror that he was still staring into it when a corner and then a bank arrived! Guess who helped him drag the wreck onto the trailer that day - yes it was Denis Welch ,we always said hello whenever we saw the truck or trailer.

Glad you got your race in Wayne and trust the neighbours weren't too irate if you got home around midnight! Trouble is it's back to pie and chips for the rest of the year now. you can get too used to Masters hospitality mate!

Next outing for us next week at the Ring, one hour touring car race on the new track, ten past eight in the morning start and alarm clock packed already! Looking forward to it.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3441120)   #286
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 76 View Post
Trouble is it's back to pie and chips for the rest of the year now. you can get too used to Masters hospitality mate!

Next outing for us next week at the Ring, one hour touring car race on the new track, ten past eight in the morning start and alarm clock packed already! Looking forward to it.
No pie and chips for you at OldTimer, if you partake of the hospitality included in the entry fee!
Old 3 Aug 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3441155)   #287
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Having been to just about all the Silverstone Classics going back to the Coys and Christies events as a spectator, this was my first time as a competitor.

Arrived Wednesday lunchtime to get a front row position for the camping queue even though we knew we wouldn't get access till 7pm which they stuck to, only to find that when the magic time came they didn't stick to the numbered system and it was a free for all. Ho hum. Unloading and setting up in the Wing camping was surprisingly painless but in the rush managed to leave all my tools etc in the camper which gave me plenty of exercise over the weekend

We had a lazy day Thursday other than getting signed on and scrutineered both hassles free, so far so good

Qually on Friday was first time on Dunlops for 7 years so didn't really get in to the swing of things which culminated in 46th on the grid. Changes to the car to comply with organisers tech requests resulted in higher than normal temperatures which was a slight worry given the weekend weather forecast.

On returning from the Friday night concerts was disapointed to see ambulances on the scene of an accident on the link road between paddocks, apparently someone had been knocked down by a car!!

Race 1 went well with plenty of action for us at the back of the field but no door banging as I saw. With retirements in front and some demon overtaking from yrs truly (yeah right ) managed to climb to 30th overall.

Some of the fastest driving I saw over the weekend was the antics of some in the camping area Saturday night - golf buggies, scooters, pit bikes, road cars all taking turns to hare up and down and generally **** about. Security?

Sunday was obviously marred by the tragic circumstances and we were not sure whether our race would actually happen. I know a couple of drivers pulled out but to be honest I couldn't afford to and I don't think Denis would have wanted that.

Had a few dices with some good close racing and happy to finish 20th overall but I really needed a longer race to get into the groove.

For us a really great weekend with good camaraderie at our end of the grid. My first experience of racing with Masters and have nothing but praise for them. Good to see a few Tenthers, sorry to have not made it to the BBQ though. Despite being there 4 days we still didn't see all the car clubs and I hardly saw any racing as spent most of the time chewing the fat in the paddock

Would love to do it again but can't see that happening soon as there's no way I can afford to go AppK.

Oh, and you can just about see me in the picture of the Mustang race in Autosport if you look under the caption!
Guessing, but is this you?
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_4440_2.JPG  
Old 3 Aug 2014, 17:01 (Ref:3441215)   #288
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrognome View Post
Guessing, but is this you?
Indeed it is
Old 3 Aug 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3441241)   #289
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If I heard Steve Ryder correctly this eve, ITV4 will be showing highlights of the event on the evening of Thursday Aug 14th. Would guess it will be shown more than once, says he while watching FoS again.....

Old 3 Aug 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3441265)   #290
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Indeed it is
Very sorry did not catch up with you Wayne. Many thanks for the support with BBQ. Glad you had a good weekend.
Old 3 Aug 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3441272)   #291
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I added a few more pictures (from Saturday only) to a Flickr album if anyone is interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125639...7645551333380/

Some pictures not so great (need to learn the art of low light photography!) but I was enjoying the day too much to focus more on my camera. I only went on the Saturday, but my sympathies to those affected by the tragic events on Sunday.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3441346)   #292
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 7 - Pre 66GT:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8307SS.jpg   IMG_8320SS.jpg   IMG_8357SS.jpg  

IMG_8371SS.jpg   IMG_8388SS.jpg   IMG_8392SS.jpg  

Old 4 Aug 2014, 14:43 (Ref:3441393)   #293
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
90s GT Legends Session:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8441SS.jpg   IMG_8448SS.jpg   IMG_8468SS.jpg  

IMG_8476SS.jpg   IMG_8484SS.jpg   IMG_8503SS.jpg  

Old 4 Aug 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3441428)   #294
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Indeed it is
I popped round to the car a couple of times on Thursday afternoon and early Saturday to say hello, but unfortunately no-one was at home. 'nother day.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3441473)   #295
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I popped round to the car a couple of times on Thursday afternoon and early Saturday to say hello, but unfortunately no-one was at home. 'nother day.
Oops, sorry. Must admit this happened quite a lot to the extent that I resorted to fetching a deckchair and getting the missus to sit in the sun next to the car so that she could contact me whenever someone visited. Not sure what went wrong with my instructions as everytime I returned i had the message ''so and so and a Mr XXX came to see you but you weren't here''!!!!

Iain, no probs mate.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3441545)   #296
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - FIA Masters:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8519SS.jpg   IMG_8559SS.jpg   IMG_8574SS.jpg  

IMG_8585SS.jpg   IMG_8590SS.jpg   IMG_8596SS.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Aug 2014, 06:32 (Ref:3441547)   #297
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11- FIA Masters (2)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8614SS.jpg   IMG_8628SS.jpg   IMG_8646SS.jpg  

IMG_8681SS.jpg   IMG_8692SS.jpg   IMG_8757SS.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 Aug 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3441562)   #298
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Amazing peoples perception of racing.

We entered 2 litre 356 at last minute in Pre63 which is more or less only race that isn't a Bering match .

Won class and lapped other 356's despite lapping 2 secs slower than a year ago in the smaller 356.

The bloke in one of other cars,a German,came up to me at prize giving and said well done but you spoilt it for rest of us 356 drivers and he wasn't joking!

Can't please all people all the time.
Old 5 Aug 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3441569)   #299
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The bloke in one of other cars,a German,came up to me at prize giving and said well done but you spoilt it for rest of us 356 drivers and he wasn't joking!
John....must remember that one next time we get beaten by you!!!!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 5 Aug 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3441589)   #300
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Amazing peoples perception of racing.

We entered 2 litre 356 at last minute in Pre63 which is more or less only race that isn't a Bering match .

Won class and lapped other 356's despite lapping 2 secs slower than a year ago in the smaller 356.

Can't please all people all the time.
Strange given that even without your car in the class, John, he wouldn't have won it, since Steve and Ian finished a good lap ahead of him. No doubt had they taken the class in your absence he would have accused them of spoiling it because they were lapping too quickly!

Will, what about bringing your 356 to our FISCAR race at Oulton Park Gold Cup?