Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 10 Dec 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3945954)   #176
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Yes I take your point.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 17:04 (Ref:3945959)   #177
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If its not crazy to take a Racer 500 with 300 kilos and 55 hp, it gives ave 5,5kg/hp. Right? One remaining issue for racing at Zandvoort and Croix the same year, is there a recognized border between the UK and Holland. Or may be I missed something.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3945969)   #178
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
One remaining issue for racing at Zandvoort and Croix the same year, is there a recognized border between the UK and Holland. Or may be I missed something.

It's called the North Sea, with points of entry dotted all along the coasts of both countries, such as Hull and Rotterdam. Similar to the UK - French border being the English Channel.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 18:10 (Ref:3945972)   #179
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As anticipated, GTSCC have four races in 2020. They will be joining other grids at-

Donington HF (May)

Thruxton Historic (June)

Castle Combe Autumn Classic (October)

Algarve Classic (October)

Not sure of race lengths at all meetings, but it was mentioned at their prize giving that there would be a 2hr race at Donington for the first time. Algarve traditionally is that length. Castle Combe could be qualifying and racing on the same day, so would guess shorter. Thruxton- we'll have to wait and see....
Old 10 Dec 2019, 18:22 (Ref:3945975)   #180
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
As anticipated, GTSCC have four races in 2020. They will be joining other grids at-

Donington HF (May)

Thruxton Historic (June)

Castle Combe Autumn Classic (October)

Algarve Classic (October)

Not sure of race lengths at all meetings, but it was mentioned at their prize giving that there would be a 2hr race at Donington for the first time. Algarve traditionally is that length. Castle Combe could be qualifying and racing on the same day, so would guess shorter. Thruxton- we'll have to wait and see....
Thruxton AND Combe. Great news.
Old 10 Dec 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3945980)   #181
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good one. Shame no Silverstone as normally got good grid for that one.

Donington always have had a 2hr race. Hopefully Saturday evening again.

Might have convinced me to go to Thruxton I think for that one.

Pretty good. Really like the series as a Spectator as always have quality and a personal preference I tend to like Pre 66 GT races that are longer than 50 mins. Quite relaxing and intriguing when on Live Timing
Old 10 Dec 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3945984)   #182
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton's historic meeting is looking very promising with MRL and the HRDC grids and now the GTSCC . Regarding the Castle Combe Autumn Classic don't forget that this year's meeting is a two day affair , therefore qualifying could be on the Saturday with racing on the Sunday a la the TT Celebration at Goodwood .
Old 10 Dec 2019, 19:54 (Ref:3945991)   #183
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Initially it was suggested GTSCC would be all on one of the two days at Combe, but that could change!

Unfortunately they’ll possibly lose a car or two for that meeting as it’s Peter Auto (Estoril) w/end after, then Algarve two weeks after that....
Old 11 Dec 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3946185)   #184
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see the HSCC meeting at Snett is set to be a Jim Russell/Formula Ford extravaganza. As I was there for the very first FF race (before Brands) when a batch of JRRDS FF's ran as a separate class in another race, perhaps I should go!
Old 12 Dec 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3946351)   #185
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
HSCC Dunlop Saloon Car Cup has a 4 race calendar for 2020....

May 17/18th Silverstone International Trophy.

June 6/7th Donington Park

July 3-5th Knockhill

August 29-31st Oulton Park Gold Cup.

20 minutes qualifying and two 20 minute races, with an additional free practice at Knockhill.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 18:28 (Ref:3946362)   #186
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HSCC Dunlop Saloon Car Cup has a 4 race calendar for 2020....

May 17/18th Silverstone International Trophy.

June 6/7th Donington Park

July 3-5th Knockhill

August 29-31st Oulton Park Gold Cup.

20 minutes qualifying and two 20 minute races, with an additional free practice at Knockhill.

Hope grids can get better as last year the series struggled to get above 20 with the woeful grid at Brands ( hence why its been scrapped ).
Old 12 Dec 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3946370)   #187
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Ho
grids get better as last year the series struggled to get above 20 with the woeful grid at Brands ( hence why its been scrapped ).
Donington date clashes directly with MRL at Thruxton. Both grids will be pretty thin I would expect.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3946376)   #188
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Donington date clashes directly with MRL at Thruxton. Both grids will be pretty thin I would expect.

Can't there for once be any transparency between organisations.

Also Spa Classic and Masters Historic Fest clashing. Why oh why.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3946380)   #189
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Add Peter Auto at Dijon to that clash!
Old 12 Dec 2019, 23:30 (Ref:3946403)   #190
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Add Peter Auto at Dijon to that clash!
Talking about adding insult to injury. Blimey.

Although Peter Auto are in a different league to both Thruxton and the Masters Donington events in size.

Will be interesting how the grids are for Dijon with Le Mans Classic not long after.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 00:36 (Ref:3946417)   #191
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The wonders of scheduling versus the self interest of various series it seems!

3 meetings on at the same weekend with races catering for the same sort of cars is madness.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 06:55 (Ref:3946449)   #192
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Dijon l'Age d'Or has traditionally been held on the first weekend in June, so I see no reason why they should have to change from that date. Expect M. Peter thinks the same! Thruxton (MRL?) and HSCC (Donington) must have known that, so have presumably gambled on it not affecting their grids. Dunlop Cup is only race at latter of the two UK meetings which later tourers can enter, so remains to be seen if the earlier cars favour one over the other. My guess is majority will chose Thruxton.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3946457)   #193
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Agree with you, Mike. There is no equivalent to Dunlop Cup on our continent. In the other hand GPAO - Age d'Or- will be the third appearance for the new Fifties series, after Castellet in April and Spa in May.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 12:55 (Ref:3946501)   #194
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Dijon l'Age d'Or has traditionally been held on the first weekend in June, so I see no reason why they should have to change from that date. Expect M. Peter thinks the same! Thruxton (MRL?) and HSCC (Donington) must have known that, so have presumably gambled on it not affecting their grids. Dunlop Cup is only race at latter of the two UK meetings which later tourers can enter, so remains to be seen if the earlier cars favour one over the other. My guess is majority will chose Thruxton.

I think the HSCC gets less choice in circuit dates than You assume.
At least at the more popular tracks during the popular racing months my guess is that they have to take what is offered.

February or November might be a different story, but who cares...

Rudolf
Old 13 Dec 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3946507)   #195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I don’t for one minute assume the HSCC gets a good choice of circuits, but the Donington round of the Dunlop Saloon Car Cup could possibly have been held at another meeting? Only 4 rounds, and one is at a non HSCC event.....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 13:49 (Ref:3946513)   #196
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
I don’t for one minute assume the HSCC gets a good choice of circuits, but the Donington round of the Dunlop Saloon Car Cup could possibly have been held at another meeting? Only 4 rounds, and one is at a non HSCC event.....
Could have been at the Donington Historic although that event has the HTCC race. Could look both ways on that one in that it could have bolstered or weakened the grid.

Also how many people race with Peter Auto and HSCC or Masters. Not many.

Could be wrong on that one but just from looking at the entry.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3946531)   #197
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Also how many people race with Peter Auto and HSCC or Masters. Not many. Could be wrong on that one but just from looking at the entry.
Yes, I can probably count on one hand the UK based cars that have raced in PA and MRL, possibly HSCC as well at somewhere like Silverstone Classic..... As said earlier, I can’t see PA being concerned too much by the clash.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3946550)   #198
Mike Crow
Racer

I would have thought Thruxton had much more flexibility on dates....
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3946569)   #199
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Sorry, almost forgot this. I didn't ask for an invite but no hard feeling, mon smoking est encore au pressing!

The Awards Dinner for Motor Racing Legends 2019 season will be held on Wednesday 22nd January 2020 at the Royal Automobile Club, Pall Mall, London. Please email Lindsey Warren to apply for tickets.

Last edited by Mike Bell; 13 Dec 2019 at 19:10. Reason: Email link removed
Old 16 Dec 2019, 14:33 (Ref:3946972)   #200
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I would have thought Thruxton had much more flexibility on dates....
Are BARC still limited on the number of meetings per year, and when these must be though?

I thought last year that 1st weekend of June was already going to be tricky so I agree with those who suggest it could have been held later (or earlier?)

On the other hand, the HSCC Dunlop Cup series was started to try and keep the ST's going and add some latter Group A cars to bolster it. Although they say they welcome he Gr1/Gr2/GrA non cossie/m3 runners, I think by now these entrants know that the MRL series or going over the channel for Peter Auto is better suited to them.

As Mike said, surely it made sense for HSCC to NOT pick dates that clash with other meetings that have similar races on the card. Especially as it's a fledgling series. Unless of course they are deliberately choosing to do so to take entries away from other series...